What do you do about clothes?

LokiFae
LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
edited September 18 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, so now that I'm losing pretty normally (I've lost 16 pounds since I've started. Woo-hoo!), I am wondering how I am going to buy clothes to fit me all the way down to my goal weight. My husband and mom bought me a whole wardrobe in my goal weight size, and I (thankfully) hoarded my favorite pair of pre-preggo jeans, but other than that, all I have is maternity clothes and sweatpants. I don't want to look like a hobo while I'm losing weight!!!

Do you all buy clothes in your interim sizes, or do you just wear sweats and loose clothes until you hit your goal weight? So far, I have clothes in a 20 (don't fit), 18 (fit for now, but slowly becoming loose), and 12. What do I do for the few sizes I have inbetween?

Replies

• LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Okay, so now that I'm losing pretty normally (I've lost 16 pounds since I've started. Woo-hoo!), I am wondering how I am going to buy clothes to fit me all the way down to my goal weight. My husband and mom bought me a whole wardrobe in my goal weight size, and I (thankfully) hoarded my favorite pair of pre-preggo jeans, but other than that, all I have is maternity clothes and sweatpants. I don't want to look like a hobo while I'm losing weight!!!

Do you all buy clothes in your interim sizes, or do you just wear sweats and loose clothes until you hit your goal weight? So far, I have clothes in a 20 (don't fit), 18 (fit for now, but slowly becoming loose), and 12. What do I do for the few sizes I have inbetween?
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    I have been wearing my big baggy jeans. I have to break down and buy some this weekend that fit because now they are completely falling off when I walk. I also have clothes in every friggin' size because I have been up and down weight my entire life.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,646 Member
    I am in that place too. I am wearing my baggy clothes mostly to work and then i have my skinny clothes which are JUST fitting, a little tight, but they are more casual, so I am wearing them on the weekends.

I am going to try and not buy anything new right now, I am thinking simple for the summer, maybe just getting some new shirts and wearing the same 4-5 pairs of pants all summer.
  • Doina_Smecicas
    Doina_Smecicas Posts: 35 Member
    Awesome on your progress.......here are some of my ideas.

I'm kind of a girly girl......so here are my suggestions. But I could be way off......take a look.

2 Work appropriate dresses (if required)
    1 light cream jacket for the dresses
    2 pair of trousers (black and brown)
    2 fluttery skirts (one print & one black)
    3 neutral blouses for the skirts
    1 pair of cream sandals (with a little heel)
    1 pair of black sandals (with a little heel)
    accessories (necklaces, a scarf, earring, purses)
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    I would frequent the consignment shops or thrift stores. Just get the basics. I just bought a pair of black dress pants for $3 and a pair of khaki's for $0.25 (love that $0.25 rack!). I figure as long as I have some pants that fit me, my t-shirts and such can be a bit big. Plus, then when you outgrow them, you can donate them back (tax credit :happy: ) and someone else will be able to use them. Have fun!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Look in second hand donation stores (i.e. Goodwill). Sometimes you can find great deals for really cheap. And when those don't fit anymore, you can donate them back.
  • sahonya
    sahonya Posts: 4 Member
    Stacy London from What Not to Wear says, "Dress the body you have not the one you want to have"
    I think that you should treat yourself and buy new clothes as you lose weight. I feel that it is a reward for losing those pounds. You are accomplishing your goals one step at a time and you should feel good as you move forward. I say Go Shopping Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Stacy London from What Not to Wear says, "Dress the body you have not the one you want to have"
    I think that you should treat yourself and buy new clothes as you lose weight. I feel that it is a reward for losing those pounds. You are accomplishing your goals one step at a time and you should feel good as you move forward. I say Go Shopping Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When should I be checking the mail for the check you are sending me? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    I would look for consignment shops that "buy" used clothing as well. Alot of times they will give you more in "store credit". I've had a rulle for a long time now, I don't buy anything over $20, except shoes:bigsmile: I shop at TJ Maxx and Marshall's and get a lot of name brand stuff for very little. There is also an outlet mall 30 minutes away so I go to the Gap factory store too. If youshop the sale racks first you can find some really good deals. I don't eat out or smoke anymore so I justify spending the $ that way.
    One time I had a clothing swap with my girlfriends(About 10 of us). Everyone brougt over ALL of their stuff they didn't want anymore, couldn't fit anymore and made it a girlsnight. I provided the food and everyone helped prepare it, and of course cocktails:happy: . We all tried on different things and had the added bonus of having each other to approve/disapprove each outfit. It was fun and everyone got rid of stuff and got "new" stuff too.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    I was buying clothes for what I was at the moment but the way I have been loosing lately I have given up lol...... I am in a 13/14 right now and i went to the store and bought a pair of 10's saying they would be my "goal pants" so when I got home I got alittle curious and tried them on......they were TIGHT but I got them on button them and didn't cut off my circulation lol....so I guess I will be looking for new goal pants :laugh:

I would say if your a girly girl (which I so am not I will be sporting my aeropostale sweats lol) wear those knee length dresses that tie in the back that way it really doesn't matter at the current time how much you have lost. Idk just my 2 cents
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    i buy one pair of jeans per size i go down till i am at my goal wight.... and i have some yoga pants that i frequently wear and since they are stretchy they last a few sizes....
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    two words: THRIFT STORE!

why pay full price for clothes that will only fit you for a short time?
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    I'm trying to buy new stuff that is a bit tight, and then it should last longer.

I was just thinking that we should start some type of exchange - what would it cost to Fed Ex a big box of clothes - $20, $30? I just took a huge box of perfectly good clothes (12's and 14's - Gap, Banana Republic, Jacob Boutique, Tristan, Eddie Bauer) to the Salvation Army, and I felt sick about it (hopefully someone will get use of it) but maybe there could be a MFP exchange on here?... just a thought... I will soon have a bunch of 10's that are recently purchased. Any takers? If you pay the S&H, I'll happily send them off!
    :smile:
  • mkeithley

I was just thinking that we should start some type of exchange - what would it cost to Fed Ex a big box of clothes - $20, $30? I just took a huge box of perfectly good clothes (12's and 14's - Gap, Banana Republic, Jacob Boutique, Tristan, Eddie Bauer) to the Salvation Army, and I felt sick about it (hopefully someone will get use of it) but maybe there could be a MFP exchange on here?... just a thought... I will soon have a bunch of 10's that are recently purchased.

I just had 3 BIG boxes of clothes shipped from the Florida Keys to Missouri via UPS-grand total about $150. OUCH!!! It's a great idea though:bigsmile: Next time you should try and sell them on the craigslist.org in your area if you don't have a consignment shop that buys clothers near you. You could sell each item individually, I see alot of people that sell like 10 or so items for $10, ETC on craigslist.
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member

When should I be checking the mail for the check you are sending me? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

See Dear IRS posted yesterday.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    I'm trying to buy new stuff that is a bit tight, and then it should last longer.

I was just thinking that we should start some type of exchange - what would it cost to Fed Ex a big box of clothes - $20, $30? I just took a huge box of perfectly good clothes (12's and 14's - Gap, Banana Republic, Jacob Boutique, Tristan, Eddie Bauer) to the Salvation Army, and I felt sick about it (hopefully someone will get use of it) but maybe there could be a MFP exchange on here?... just a thought... I will soon have a bunch of 10's that are recently purchased. Any takers? If you pay the S&H, I'll happily send them off!

darn it 14 is my next size down....
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Ouch $150 is a lot, but I'm thinking just the best and most expensive pieces - wouldn't be too much (I guess depending on where we are going). I mail my neices and nephews their birthday presents, and a significant size and weight is usually between $10 and $20....

• mkeithley
    Ouch $150 is a lot, but I'm thinking just the best and most expensive pieces - wouldn't be too much (I guess depending on where we are going). I mail my neices and nephews their birthday presents, and a significant size and weight is usually between $10 and $20....

I just had an idea, not a lucrative one however. Where I live there is a battered women's shelter I used to volunteer for the hotline. Anyway alot of these women leave EVERYTHING they have in the middle of the night, you could donate the clothes at a place like that and get a tax write off for it. Many of these women have to re-enter the workforce and have nothing! "Nice" clothes would be great for these women:bigsmile:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    I've gone down 2 sizes and I looked like a hobo until people started telling me I looked like a hobo!! Then I cracked down and bought a pair of jeans and a pair of black trousers in my new size, and then I had to do it again in another month or so.... I've also bought a few shirts that are supposed to fit loosely - that way the style covers up some of the hobo effect....

I am not a fan of spending all the money on new clothes that I'll shrink out of, but I figure I must be saving some money in gas not hauling around an extra 34 lbs every time I get in the car?!?! :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Check out online sites too. Most major clothing sites have a sale section where you can find killer deals. Even Coldwater Creek has clothes marked down 70% or more. :love:
This discussion has been closed.