Wondering About Plus size and Yoga

Options
Hi everyone well I have a question and I have searched but haven't found and answer so I am asking you all to see what you think or if any of you jave experience and can tell me. I am plus size I have been working out at the gym doing water aerobics 5 days a week and doing cardio but I have alot of stress and was considering trying Yoga but am a bit concerned that my size might be an issue. I have gained alot of balance and coordination through the water aerobic classes but would like to know what you think. If it helps I do work out at LA Fitness and that is where I would be doing the Yoga as well so any insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am plus size and I do yoga and pilates about once or twice a week. You won't be able to get into every single position, but don't let that worry you. Strive for good form and improvement. It will make you less likely to get injured, it will make you more toned, and I is a good low impact way to exercise.
  • Jenni3232
    Jenni3232 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but yoga is more about the breathing than how far you can bend over you knees... As long as you pay attention to your body and not over extend yourself, you would be fine. My father and stepmother both lost a great deal of weight and toned up through yoga and dieting (who were both in the obese category) There should be a good instructor there who should help you through it.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Just let the instructor know that you are new and would appreciate any modifications that they could offer you. If you know who the instructor is before the class, you might want to let them know that you are thinking of joining but have some concerns. I have horrible balance as well and hung out by the wall the first few times so I could put my hand on something solid if I thought I was going to have a problem. Good luck!