HRM recommendations

Options
wa_tracy
wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
So about a month or so ago I got a New Balance HRM from Target. It works great...most of the time. Twice now, though, it's acted up and I suspect it's the belt strap getting loose while I run since I do check it to make sure it's tight before I begin. A couple weeks ago I did a 5k and it said I burned 445 calories. Yesterday, I ran a 5k on my own in around the same time and it said I burned 353 calories. So I'm wondering if there is a better HRM out there that is more reliable. These things are pricey and I lucked out getting my new balance one for $20 off b/c the box was ripped and they had to repackage it, so I'm OK if I have to shell out more money for a better one...but I want it to be the last one.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts on this matter.

Replies

• MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I returned my New Balance hrm (to target) for the same reason, I now have a Polar FT4 HRM & love it.
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a Polar HRM. I absolutely LOVE mine. I've had it for a year now and still works great! Amazon has a lot lower prices, if you don't want to spend too much. I recommend getting one online rather than a store. ;)
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I returned my New Balance hrm (to target) for the same reason, I now have a Polar FT4 HRM & love it.

I wonder if they will take it back w/o receipt or box. Probably not :sad:
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It is worth the money to get a Polar 4 or Polar 7.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have the Suunto M2 and I'm in love with it.
  • lmeslie
    lmeslie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone on the Polar FT4. Mine has never lost a connection with the strap and has been very reliable. Just make sure you always rinse the strap and remove the receiver from the strap between workouts.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar 7, I use it on a average 6 days a week. its almost a year old and works great as long as I dont have on lotion. Someone recommended, that after each use wet down and scrub the area that measures your heart rate with a tooth brush, I do this most days and think thats why it has lasted so long with as much as it is used.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the MOTOACTV HRM strap. Its suppose to connect to an app on my phone. I hope it works good. I can't afford a polar HRM at the moment but i've read some good reviews on them.
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 on Ebay a couple of months ago. It is wonderful! I don't know how I got along without it.