HUNGRIER!!!

Options
Hello,

Someone please help me. I am now working with a personal trainer but I've worked out consistently on my own for going on 5 years now. So I feel that I am getting more out of my workouts (good thing) but now I feel hungrier every day (bad thing) and if I eat more I will just deplete the purpose of me working out. What am I suppose to do????? I'm starving!!!!

Thanks,

Replies

• ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    EAT?
  • mcenjill
    mcenjill Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm not an expert, by any means.... try eating some protein. that ALWAYS fills me up for hours.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calories are coming from the right foods. With increased workouts, you may very well need increased lean protein, maybe additional water. Double check that your nutrients are sufficient. Hope this helps!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The point of working with a trainer is to build muscle more effectively, which boosts your metabolism and decreases your body fat %. Eat a little more, but make sure it's lean protein, complex carbs, and veggies =)
  • kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options
    you may be building more muscle and burning more calories.. so your body needs to take in more protein, carbs and healthly fats. Talk to your trainer about your caloric needs.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Someone please help me. I am now working with a personal trainer but I've worked out consistently on my own for going on 5 years now. So I feel that I am getting more out of my workouts (good thing) but now I feel hungrier every day (bad thing) and if I eat more I will just deplete the purpose of me working out. What am I suppose to do????? I'm starving!!!!

Thanks,

maybe its because your're getting stronger and the body needs more calories to keep going.....
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    When starving.... Eat.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Eat!! Figure out your BMR and eat that and if you exercise, put it into your exercise diary here and eat back at lease enough of those calories so you stop starving! That's my opinion anyway, denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Hello,

Thanks,
  • MsLadyShell
    MsLadyShell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose then the whole "eat" thing might not work. With that said, have you been eating different foods since working out, more carbs? I am a firm believer that if you must eat...it's about timing. Try having a SMALL snack before and right after your workouts...
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It's also very refreshing to see someone be honest in that they are hungry. Sometimes I think there are actually people that either "punish" themselves unknowingly, or worse, on purpose:frown: Losing weight does not mean punishment. There are tons of info on how to lose weight in a healthy manner without starving, and most of that info is on this site from others that have figured that out.
    Eat!! Figure out your BMR and eat that and if you exercise, put it into your exercise diary here and eat back at lease enough of those calories so you stop starving! That's my opinion anyway, denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Hello,

Thanks,
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're set up here with a certain # of pounds to lose per week, eating back your exercise calories does NOT defeat the purpose of exercise. MFP already sets you up with a deficit and when you work out, you create even more of a deficit. Too much of a calorie deficit and your body will likely react by storing what little you give it (so your weight loss will slow/stall), you'll have no energy and you'll be hungry. It does you NO GOOD to starve yourself.

Solution? Eat more! Try to make it count though - eat more lean proteins, healthy fats, fruits and veggies.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat. Make sure your deficit isn't too high. If you are working out hard, you NEED those calories. ANd yes, get more protein at least 30% of daily calories.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    As long as it's a true Hunger for food then by all means Eat food.
    If it's just a desire to eat out of emotions, boredom, anything besides physical hunger, then by all means ignore it.

I am dealing with that same issue today, kicked booty after work yesterday (hour long workout) I woke up this morning to a growling stomach and the hungry sensation hasn't stopped. I'm eating my lunch right now and once that is done I plan to drink water the rest of the afternoon. I can't deal with this ravenous feeling all day long, getting kind of annoying.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You are hungrier because you are working harder which means your metabolism is working harder. If by eating more, you will go over your calorie limit... you need to do a couple things: if you're not wearing a heart rate monitor, wear one. You could be needing more calories based off this. Rethink your food options. Eat more veggies/fiber and protein to fill you up more. Eating cleaner means more calories, which also means you'll be fuller than you are now. Rethink what you're eating pre and post workout. Pre workout should be whole grains because they digest slower, which means you'll have more energy for your workout and longer. Post workout should be simple carbs and protein, because your body needs to recover, so it will use up those carbs immediately since you just expelled a lot of energy, and the protein will help repair your muscles.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Protein. Fiber. Complex or low glycemic load carbohydrates. Also, what you may believe to be hunger just might be thirst. If you are getting more out of your workouts, you may be needing more hydration.
  • jwallace84
    jwallace84 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts. I will take everything into consideration.