Need Oatmeal Recipes!

Options
Monny287
Monny287 Posts: 109
So, in trying to eat healthier, I've been trying to cut out processed foods. Unfortunately, I love instant oatmeal and the ease of zapping a cup of boiling water in the microwave and having breakfast in under three minutes. Also unfortunately, these packets are chock-full of sugar. Like, lots of it. And it's way processed, which I'm trying to avoid. Last week, I picked up about half a pound of rolled oats to make a loaf of whole-wheat oatmeal bread. I had some leftover from last week's loaf and this week's, and it's so hot I didn't feel like cooking too much. I tried cooking oatmeal the old-fashioned way, and it was awesome! And it wasn't particularly time-consuming. I added just a little maple syrup (the real stuff, yum!) and half a banana. I don't think I'll be going back to the processed stuff anymore.

Of course, now, I need more oatmeal add-in combinations and recipes. I've noticed that oatmeal is a favorite on the forums and I hope I'll get lots of new ideas. I don't have any protein powder, just as a warning. What are your favorite ways to prepare oatmeal? :)

Replies

• jaly92
    jaly92 Posts: 91
    Options
    Any type of fruit/nuts are always good, adding banana in while the porridge (oatmeal) is cooking so it goes slightly soft/mushy, yum! I always like to add a bit of cinnamon to give it a bit of spice since I make my porridge with water, but making porridge with different varieties of milk gives new flavours (vanilla milk, almond milk, etc!) I haven't really experimented with many other spices but I Grated apple, sultanas, cinnamon and almonds is one of my favourites :) Gives it a nice 'winter spice' feel!

Cassia/Cardamom probably work well too!

Try experimenting with frozen/dried/grated fruit, oatmeal is so versatile, almost anything works!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I add ground flax seed, cinnamon, ginger, and stevia. Adding the flax seed before cooking changes the texture, so some people prefer to add it after.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My favorite toppings on oatmeal... Kiwi fruit (golden kiwi to be exact), walnuts, raisins, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds and maple syrup. Yum!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat it every single morning, yum! I put the tea pot on and let it boil while I am getting ready and then I just dump the boiling water straight into the boil and let it sit for a couple minutes and then I don't even have to dirty a pan. LOL!

My fave is 1/2 cup rolled oats + cut up mango + 1/8 cup walnuts + cinnamon + 1-2 tablespoon ground flax. It's good with apple, blueberries, pear or nectarine too. With apple I feel like I need to add a bit of 100% real maple syrup (1/2 tablespoon, 25 cal) but with nectarine, pear, or mango, it's sweet enough without.
  • xPaprika
    xPaprika Posts: 22
    Options
    I highly recommend through some of these oatmeal recipes- they have all been delicious so far. : d
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/all-things-oatmeal/

Her healthy desserts are really good too, on a side note~
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I like it with a bit of honey, greek yoghurt and fruit in it. At the moment I have it with honey, passionfruit greek yoghurt and pineapple, or honey, tart cherry greek yoghurt and apples (cooked with cinnamon, I make a bunch in advance and leave it in the fridge). Also if you are looking for something a bit different to do with oatmeal look up biggest loser oatmeal pancakes.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal PB&J -

1 serving plain oatmeal
    1 tbsp sugar free jelly w/ fiber is a plus
    1-2 tbsp of natural peanut butter

After the oatmeal is done, I let it sit for a minute or two. I stir in some grape or raspberry sugar free jelly until it is mixed well. While it is still cooling I spread some natural peanut butter on top.

If your a wild one, you can add some plain fat free greek yogurt on top of the peanut butter too. It's like eating a healthy cake. You could even chop up some fruit and mix that with the sugar free jelly. Depends on what your diet allows. YEAH BUDDY
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have not had a chance to try this yet..but I have friends that say they are amazing! and great for summer because they are cool...

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/skinny-overnight-oats-in-jar.html
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try Quakeroats.com. You will find enough recipes to eat oatmeal differently for two months.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I make mine with semi skimmed milk,then added grated apple or a teaspoon of clear honey to sweeten.
  • joybrady9
    joybrady9 Posts: 1
    Options
    I soak the oats over night (read it was good) in a little water and a tablespoon of chia seeds or tablespoon raisins, chopped prunes, apricots! Cook a few minutes in microwave. Before eating add a little yogurt. Or in the morning I add unsweetened stewed fruit, pear, apple, nectarine. I also sprinkle a little LSA on top. I never add sugar fruits sweeten enough for me. This keeps me going until my lunch around one. I have also started adding a teaspoon of coconut oil as well.
  • meganmcg77
    meganmcg77 Posts: 38
    Options
    try the cold oats recipes, great for summer!

my favorite:

1/4 cup of old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup dark chocolate almond milk
    1/2 banana, sliced
    1 packet of splenda

put all into a jar at night, smash banana a little with fork, then shake. Ready to eat in the morning! Almost like a dessert!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm going to third the overnight oats.
    For me its 1/2 cup oats 1/2 cup water + just an extra splash , pop in oven overnight.
    Next morning add some milk (hazelnut. Ilk is amazing esp if you miss nutella)
    Then stir and microwave for a minute or 3.
    Cinamon also works well to sweeten oats with out adding sugar.
    Its one of those things you are so used to haing sweet, you just assume it is.