FITBIT - anyone have one? looking for reviews

Options
Not sure what one is - look here:
http://www.fitbit.com/uk/product

Does anyone have a FitBit?

Have seen them about and now see MFP has a section for them - any reviews from MFP users?

I have a desk job but do get up and walk to other offices, and im in a 6 floor building so i do move - just wondering if these are any good?

My HRM only really works for exercising - i tried wearing mine all day and it gave a very low calories burned count (less than 100) for the whole day

Replies

• gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have one and absolutely love it! It really motivates you because it gives you a "dashboard" and shows you were some of your friends fall....that just makes you want to walk a little more, take an extra flight or two of stairs, etc.

I signed up for premium which gives a bit more information to help toward your goals too.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I really like mine. It gives me more calories to eat on active days :-)
  • PlayDoh1234
    PlayDoh1234 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into getting one too! *BUMP*
  • Karen5732
    Karen5732 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Love mine... it really shows how active you can be!!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i have one but hardly use it anymore since i got a HRM. The first few weeks I thought it was pretty cool, but now eh…its basically just a pedometer. I wouldn’t recommend unless you don’t do very much walking or you don’t exercise very much.
  • PlayDoh1234
    PlayDoh1234 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i have one but hardly use it anymore since i got a HRM. The first few weeks I thought it was pretty cool, but now eh…its basically just a pedometer. I wouldn’t recommend unless you don’t do very much walking or you don’t exercise very much.

Is there a HRM that you recommend?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've been using one for a couple of weeks now and so far I am very happy with it. Watching the numbers has actually taught me that I had been netting my maintenance calories because my TDEE is lower than I had been estimating, which explains why I had hit a plateau. I adjusted accordingly and have dropped another 1/2 pound already.

I have my MFP calories set to 20% below my TDEE and I do still use my HRM for any activities that get my HR above 120 and log those manually. I do not use the exercise calories that FB gives me because I have already factored those into my allowance, but I eat back at least half of my other exercise calories.
  • jennla32
    jennla32 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My sister is on WW and obsessed with hers! Soo much so, she is getting my mom one for her birthday!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

Is there a HRM that you recommend?

i have the polar FT4...it was about $60 on bodyelectronics.com .... i LOVE it. it made my work outs go from 200 calories burned to AT LEAST 600 calories burned because i can actually see what i'm burning and where my heart rate is in reference to "the zone".
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    HRMs do a completely separate job. They are for limited bursts of activity rather than constant monitoring. FitBits tell you how active you are the rest of the time.
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I returned mine- it had a flaw but even when it was working perfectly, I found that it really is just a glorified pedometer. I think if you research your BMR and TDEE (not just here but on there sites) you will have a good idea of your overall calorie output. Additionally, after monitoring my heart rate during workouts, I have found that MFP does a pretty good job of calculating cals burned.
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    have one, and love they way it syncs with MFP account - it does all the math of how many calories I burn and how many more I can eat :wink:
  • AFitCookie
    AFitCookie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also really like it. it helps me to move more during the day because I can see how many steps I've taken, how many calories I burned, how many floors I've climbed - it just motivates me to do better each day. I had a body bugg - but I like that the fitbit is small and I can even wear it on my bra if it doesn't fit my waist band right
  • rukcus
    rukcus Posts: 58
    Options
    I bought both myself and my gf a fitbit. I have to say we both enjoy using it and for some entertaining competition. I feel it is useful because It adds another level of data that I can record and that helps me keep motivated.