Throat closes up

Options
I have just started doing a spin class about three weeks ago (LOVE IT!) but when I start to breath heavier, my throat feels like it's closing up. I've tried fixing my posture, breathing in through the nose and out the mouth, deep into the stomach, and even picking a bike closer to the door to get 'fresh air'(which I think helped a little bit) but does anyone have any other suggestions?
Pain the butt!!! =P

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    see a doctor.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have asthma. I would get to a doctor asap.
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    I have not heard those ones yet.... Thanks! I hope it's not asthma, though!
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    could also be some sort of anxiety too... although I think that might be a stretch.
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    Well I find that when I do breathe in deeply through my nose, and out through my mouth it helps open my throat again, and when I do slow down I can catch my breath properly to speed back up, again.
    I go on the treadmill and run, and I haven't had this issue before. So it might be posture and not breathing properly, but it still happens(not a lot) I can last the 50 mins.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Try the breath rite strips across the nose. I know its not pretty but you're there to workout and kick *kitten* right?
  • alicialwest
    alicialwest Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    See a doctor in case you have asthma.
    I have asthma and in addition to using an inhaler, I put a Cliff ShotBlock between my cheek and teeth (So I can suck on it without swallowing it on an inhale). I find that keeping my throat moist REALLY makes a huge difference in my symptoms. 1 ShotBlock usually lasts about 45-60 min for me and they have 33 calories each. Buy them at a sports store (and my local Target carries them).
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give my doctor a call and see. I'll try the ShotBlock too, see if they have them around here.
    And the breathrite strips hehe, I don't care how I look, as long as I can breathe!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    primatene mist inahaler?