A place to start

Options
Hello everyone,
I am new here and I just need to know where to start. When you started on your weight loss journey, where did you begin? I need a plan. Any suggestions?

Replies

• pawprint061
    Options
    Welcome. I started by logging all my food. Everyday.... I didn't change the way I ate for a few days so I could see the damage. Then, I took pictures, and I measured. I also weighed in so I knew my starting weight. I went from there. Making small changes like going to skim milk. Low cal items, low fat items, eating the serving size... now I don't really have to pay to close attention to the sizing size because my stomach can no longer physically hold the amount of food I used to eat.. I guess I retrained it.
  • lgfeilmeier
    Options
    Probably the best place to start is track all your food on this site as you would normally eat. This would give you a baseline of what you have been doing. It was a real eye opener from me to see that I was normally eatting about 3,000 calories a day when I was supposed to be limited to 1,200!

This site will help you set some goals when you plug in how long you plan on working out a day and how many pounds you'd like to lose. It will help you put a calorie cap on your days. One you have a baseline on food you can start to conciously shrink portions and look for healthier "cheaper" calories.

At this point I'd also look at some workout options. Are you part of a gym? Can you afford a trainer? If not, there are some good workout videos out there. A nice place to start might be Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred. It's 25 minutes of working out a day. Something you can do from you home with some small weights, and there are beginner levels so you can work up.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Started by tracking my calories/meals on this website and committing myself to drinking at least 8 cups of water a day.
    I cut out my energy drinks and sunflower seeds and things I knew were not good for me. I commited to increasing my fiber intake to help me "go" regularly. I started going to the gym. Before I knew it within 2 weeks I lost about 10 lbs. It was great! Good luck.