Saw the ### on the scale and cried :/

Options
Hey all.
I have been trying to lose 15 or 20 pounds for over a year now, but have had so many issues because of the recent diagnosis of Patella Femoral Syndrome in both of knees. It is so severe that I have no cartilage left in either knee and any type of movement causes the bones to rub together, which makes exercising of any type very hard for a past major high school athlete. I have tried dieting, diet pills, dancing, swimming, everything I could thing of that wouldn't affect my knees. And I am fed up with zero results. So I have decided to suffer through the pain to lose the weight, and have even put an incentive of getting my first tattoo once its gone to keep me on track. I started this program 3 days ago and its so far so good, not too much knee pain as I've just been doing some power walking hoping to slowly work my way up to jogging (my dog is LOVING the walks). I am looking for a little support to help my push through the pain and get that tattoo and once I've lost the weight, to maintain it!
Add me and I'll share the support!
:D

Replies

• Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your story, but how have you been handling it so far? I can't even imagine the pain you must go through and endure! I sometimes get knee problems myself. I have no idea what it is, but I remember a long time ago while I was kneeling I heard a super loud POP and after that, things weren't the same. I was in a ballet class for a while and I remember being out for an entire week because the pain was SO bad. Now, I mostly feel it while bike riding against strong resistance. I used to think it was because I didn't work out enough but I'm not sure anymore.
    I'd love to be your friend <3
    It's nice to have people around who support you through the bad times.
  • warriorchick24
    Options
    Its a day to day process to handle the pain. Today my boyfriend and I did twice the distance for our walk as we normally do and I am Really feeling it :/. But I will deal with it and work through or..no pain, no gain. I just don't know how much pain I can actually handle before I give up....hopefully that won't happen!
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a similar thing although mine doesn't sound that severe. After about 6 months of physio I've been given the all clear, provided I behave myself ;-). Physio advised against running and heavy loading of the legs. It was hard, but I just took it each workout at a time. I also invested in a roller (got it off ebay for around $20) as my main problem was that my quads were really tight, pushing my kneecaps into places they shouldn't be. Has your doctor/medical professional given you any advice? My physio knew I couldn't go without any exercise so we'd come up with ones she was ok with that wouldn't hinder my recovery/rehab. It's been a long process, but I can now walk upstairs without pain in my knees
  • veronag145
    veronag145 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I saw your topic and that's exactly what I did in my doctors office last week! I've had so many health challenges over the last 12 years, including 5 1/2 years of dialysis, a kidney transplant, arthritic knees and most recently a rare small bowel sarcoma (cancer), which, thank God was removed with no need for chemo or radiation! I lost 25 pounds after the surgery...but I gained 35 back! I was so frustrated all I could do was cry...but like your name I am a warrior, in fact my sorority sisters named me Sarge (and I was in the military). =0) Anyway, I really want to get my weight back down and a friend of mine from church told me about the group and she's lost over 20 pounds so far and is looking really good! I just need some help and encouragement...maybe this forum will help. At least it's worth a try!
  • warriorchick24
    Options
    To Generalle - I have tried everything the doctors throw at me when it comes to solutions and they have nothing for me, even when to the University of Iowa Hospital and still nothing :/. And I used to be a HUGE athlete in high school and have had a very hard time not working out or exercising and i am just getting tired of gaining weight and not being able to do anything. So here I am trying again! Hopefully this time it'll be for good! I am already down 2 lbs!!!!! :D

Veronag- I completely understand!! and that is awesome!!!!!! I am here for support if you need anything!
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I read this and felt compelled to reply. I, though, suffered from Osteoarthritis of both my knees which I ended up having Bilateral Total Knee Replacement surgery in January of this year at the age of 45. I am doing well now and am finally enjoying my life again! I enjoy walking again. We just adopted a dog and she loves it too! I feel that I have been given a special gift and I want to treat my new knees and my body with respect. But I have a long way to go. This is why I joined MFP and I really enjoy it.

But I totally sympathize with all the pain and suffering you are going through. When you mentioned the bones rubbing together, I cringed. My pain is still way too fresh in my mind I guess!! I totally understand the "day to day process" you face and the frustration you feel when you want to do more and can't. I want to be here to support you any way I can! And Lord knows I could use a little help myself!
  • warriorchick24
    Options
    Icooke24 - I really needed to hear that today. I have trying so hard to make this work, and am really wanting to lose 2 lbs a week before we take our vacation to FL (HAVE to be able to compete the beach babes so I don't catch my boyfriend looking at anyone but me lol) and have been doing this for just over 3 weeks now, and am still only at a loss of 2.5 - 3 lbs. And I am just getting so frustrated and can't figure out why. I want to run and do Kosama or SOMETHING, but I just can't and it is just frustrating, and even though my boyfriend is walking with me at night, it just doesn't seem to be enough and the pain in my knees is making it SO TERRIBLY hard to stay motivated. But I want this tattoo so bad and to be in shape so badly I just can't stop...and there is nothing I can do about the pain, just SOOOO FRUSTRATING! Anyways, thank you so much for that, I really wish the doctor's would do something, but I am only 20, and they just keep telling me there is nothing they can do, and I have been everywhere around Iowa and they all say the same thing, and are predicting that I will be in a wheelchair within the next 10 years and I can't let that happen...and I'm not even that overweight to cause any issues, it's just all of the sports I did when I was younger.
    Again - thanks so much, that was really needed!!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Warrior - sorry to hear about your knee troubles. I tore my ACL a long time ago and it required surgery to repair. Occasionally it acts up, but I feel blessed that it is a minor issue.

Have you tried doing very light weights for a significant number of repetitions? This will help to build lean muscle...thereby burning significantly more calories than walking alone. You can do arms and legs. At least doing the arm exercises will give the knees a break.

Feel free to friend me for continued support.
  • warriorchick24
    Options
    Yeah, and ACL tear is awful, Ive seen those too many times for my comfort!! And I have tried weights before, the inner athlete in me makes it hard to hold back and only do a little bit. LOL...so I am starting somewhere and hoping that the little bit of what I am doing will help.
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I get it on the pain thing. In the last 6 years I have had both hips replaced and my left ankle screwed down and oethascopies on both knees. I'm know I have to have both knees replaced. Right one is going to be replaced in October. Hopefully the second one in June of 2013. Then the ankle later that year.

I'm bone on both knees. Mine is more from wear and tear arthritus. I tought to many fitness classes for to many years.

All that aside, Im in pain every day and alive is my best friend. Doesn't take the pain away but keeps the swelling down. So every day I get my *kitten* to the gym any way. I ride the spinner bike mostly, but do other cardio things that are not high impact. Then I will spend at least 45 minuets doing weigts to get my legs as strong as they an be so they can...A, support my knee and B. Recover fast when i have my next surgery. ( and I do work the over parts of the mody with weights) If you want to look at my diary to see the kinds of things im doing just friend me.

I went to give blood one day in prep does a surgery and the lady taking the blood said " the first time you deside its easier to sit down then stand up, is the last day you get up" never have forgotten that.
  • rawrensmith
    Options
    You are a very strong person for going forward with your goals despite the health challenges you are faced with! When you're feeling down, try to be kinder to yourself by blocking any negative self talk and giving yourself the credit you deserve. Go at your own pace and I promise you will get the results eventually!

Hang in there warriorchick!

-rawrensmith
  • punkymegx
    punkymegx Posts: 2
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with patella femoral syndrome too. My doc told me to wait it out for a little before looking into physicsal therapy or anything else. But like you I have a HUGE drive to work out and am so frustrated when my knee pain prevents me. What stretches have you been doing to help out woth your PFS? I don't even know where to start and everytime i work out i am in bed for a day :(
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You can add me if ya want, chica!! You can do this. There's a method of exercise for everyone, you'll be able to find something :-)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would see if you could find somewhere that does water aerobics. Helps a ton for people with joint pain and other injuries like yours. Good luck!
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have Patella Femoral Syndrome myself.After Six months of Physio and Rehab,im able to do brisk walking/biking(with minimal resistace),yoga and pilates for workout.My doc asked me to steer clear of running or heavy weight lunges/squats and repetitions on those.I do heavy weights for my upper body and a lot of mat work for my legs.Im managing it pretty well right now.the more you strenghten your quads and hams the lesser the pressure on knees.also you can get patella tracking braces on amazon-these help your knees quite a bit.Good luck.
  • yamahamamajt
    yamahamamajt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this issue as I am also struggling with my left knee. I injured it in 2010 and had to have surgery to correct a tear and ended up with a staff infection two weeks later, it has been downhill since then.

I have been doing water aerobics and even that is painful, but I am sticking with it as it is more painful to do anything else.

I love this site with all the support and ease of use. Hang in there!

Jaymi:smile:
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have a very bad knee too and I use a rowing machine which although you bend the knee it is controlled in one plane and zero impact but a great total body work out - try one out at a gym and if it works for you buy one - I have the Concept 2
  • RichardAceves
    RichardAceves Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have no cartledge in my left knee and have had my cartledge trimmed in my right knee which needs to get done again. I also have three ruptured disks in my lower back. I loved the tredmill which the Dr says to stay away from but he also says the best exercise for me is the bike because it takes alot of pressure off my knees and so far it has been working and I have lost weight with minimal pain. Keep up the fight and dont give up. Those of us with disabilities can do it, it just may take a little longer. Good Luck
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have bone spurs on both heels, a bum left knee, and a bad right ankle so I do understand the pain and the frustration. I have recently purchased an ab lounger. While there is a lot of people that will say you can't work just one area that was not really why I purchased it. I needed something that didn't require as much walking or standing. This has been a great answer for those reasons. And what I have found is that I can walk better after doing the lounger daily. It stretches my muscles and makes walking less painful. So while it may not work as an ab reducer ( I will say I have lost 3 inches in my hips also) that it have totally been worth purchasing for me. I purchased mine used of a local swap and shop site on facebook for about $100 less than they are in stores so if you decide to look into getting one you may want to try that or craigslist.

Good luck
  • RichardAceves
    RichardAceves Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that there were so many of us with disibilities on MFP maybe we should start a group to share our ideas and info. What do you think?