So I just Don't Get It...

Options
I know I can't necessarily let the scale dictate progress, but I'm slightly discouraged. Initially I lost about 10 lbs of weight and then I began going to the gym on a very regular basis.

In the past two weeks I've actually gained 1.8 lbs (.9 each time) and yet I am always under my MFP goals but not by too much. I've been burning a good amount of calories at the gym with interval training which bounces my heart rate around in order to get an optimum workout.

I mean, I can in fact feel my abs starting to come in even though there's still belly fat on my body and I had a body fat percentage test which said I was at 18.88% which isn't too far away from Average for a early mid-20s man like myself. I'm a bigger guy naturally with broad shoulders and such and muscle is building all around my arms, shoulders, etc. Perhaps it's just a greater proportion of muscle being built than fat being consumed but I still feel like I'm somehow doing this whole thing wrong.

Plus I need to eat this morning so I'm a bit cranky anyway. I guess I'm not looking for advice since I still feel that my body has made some good changes with what I've been doing but I just don't wanna see myself over 200 again and week by week I keep seeing myself creep back to that edge. Hell, MFP says at the end of every day that with the calories I've consumed burned ect, I'd be under 190 in 5 weeks, but I keep creeping up and not down. Ugh. Frustrating. I'm gonna go eat some oatmeal and chipper up.

Replies

• amandaowens
    Options
    they always say the last 5 lbs is the hardest to lose. Keep your chin up! You'll get there!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I feel your pain! I've been doing the same thing trying to show some more progress by my next weigh-in on the 28th with my doc. Been trying all kinds of things mixing weight training some days, treadmill - some days using the built-in program for weight loss on it which varies both the slope up to 9% and the speed and some days manually where I just vary the speed. But no dice! Body just doesn't seem to want to let me get below 180 right now. But sooner or later it will, I know. Done it before, it will do it again.
  • sournotez
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so it's possible that you are burning off the fat and gaining muscle. The weight gain is actually a good thing! Sometimes, you can't measure progress on a scale, you have to base it on how you look.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    My thoughts are, since you are eating properly and still working out... it could just be water weight? I fluctuate a lot throughout the month. It's very frustrating and I know the fear you feel. Every time I see the scale go up, I think "am I headed back to where I began?". But, I know it's my mind messing with me. Continue to eat right--you're already making the right choice by starting the day out right. I always just tell myself, no matter what the scale says-- I'm not gonna give in to my negative thoughts. Because it's those negative thoughts that will hinder my progress. Hang in there. I bet it's just water weight-- and maybe someone else will come along w/some better advice for you. :)
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    I know it's a scary concept but forget the scale. It is the least effective way to measure your progress. Rely on the tape measure and body fat analysis for a true measure of your progress. Scales and bmi based on height and weight tell a very small % of the story. In fact most fitness models and athletes are obese according to generic bmi despite beng between 6- 10% body fat. How do you feel? How do you look in the mirror? How's your muscle tone? Your energy? This is what matters. The scale is the devil. And you my friend must repent from your evil ways. Lol. Forget the scale. Your doing great things.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so it's possible that you are burning off the fat and gaining muscle. The weight gain is actually a good thing! Sometimes, you can't measure progress on a scale, you have to base it on how you look.

sournotez is absolutely right. There's nothing wrong with a few "pounds" if you're an intensive weight trainer. Chances are they're just healthy muscle growth. Nothing wrong with muscles on a broad shouldered guy if you ask me! :love:

If it really bothers you that you're not seeing "progress," monitor your inches for a few weeks instead. You'll see a decrease in your waistline. Weekly photos are also great tools for measuring progress, especially to note the abdominal tone you seem to be going for.

If the muscle weight really botheres you, switch up your workouts. If you work on a machine, switch to free weights. If you run on a teadmill, switch to swimming or basketball. If you change up the way your muscles are being challenged, you'll start forming more lean muscle and losing some of the bulky, heavier muscles. (can't imagine why you'd want to.... :sad: )

Good luck & keep us posted!
  • a00link
    Options
    Sometimes, you can't measure progress on a scale, you have to base it on how you look.

Yeah I know you're right. And even while I'm still a little flubby, I actually like the look of my body and would be proud to hit the beach with it already. I never aimed to be some hunk but I was just sick of being overweight like I was. So I should just take solace in that fact I suppose.
    My thoughts are, since you are eating properly and still working out... it could just be water weight?

Perhaps that's right too. I make sure to drink about 10 glasses minimum a day of water and with my diet, I have a hard time staying under 2,500 for my sodium. I don't normally go too far over IMO and my blood pressure isn't too bad or anything. But maybe there is water retention going on too, which I guess is fine. I don't really feel or look bloated so it's not bothering me if that's what it is.

Thanks all for your cheering up and your nice advice.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    It's very rare for a person to be in a calorie deficit and build muscle mass. Basically - either you're meeting your caloric needs or you aint, and if you ain't there shouldn't be any extra stuff laying around to build more Link.

However,,, a few of us can do it. We're genetic freaks. Go with it, you are blessed.

I've been on a 5oo cal a day "deficit" with occasional small cheats and training pretty hard and eating 75% of exercise calories - for the past 4 or 5 months. My body weight has held dead even, fluctuating over a 3# range, and I've gained muscle and lost bodyfat - proven by tape and caliper.

Don't sweat it man, you're out of easy fat now, so you're not gonna drop tonnage like before. Now it's ab time. Eat some protein, work hard and feel and look good. It's fun, enjoy it. :happy:
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    If you want to 'muscle up' you actually need to be gaining weight anyway. So don't worry about it. If you're doing everything right your body is just adjusting as it needs to accommodate the new form it's taking. Just relax and enjoy the ride!!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    a00,

it's probably just your body changing to accommodate more active muscles. When we start a new program, our muscles which were mostly dormant require new energy and water. This energy and water have weight, it's well within the realm of normal to have a 2 to 5 lb gain in weight when you start a new exercise routine.

Other things to remember:
    - 2 weeks is not long enough to make any kind of judgement with weight loss/gain.
    - 2 lbs is well within the range of daily fluctuation due to water weight and/glycogen use.
    - 18% body fat is decent for a guy, but there's still some room for you to go down. Forget the scale IMHO, go for body fat %, that's a GREAT way to measure success!
    - And above all, be patient. To give you some perspective, I've been weight training and doing HIIT training for the last 8 months now, I've gained 6 lbs in muscle, and dropped a full % in body fat. THOSE are the types of timetables you need to expect once you start getting into the range of normal. The only people who can accomplish large changes shortly are the obese, and those who's primary focus is health and can dedicate hours and hours a day at changing (I.E. body builders, instructors, trainers, professional athletes...etc.)