Feeling a little lost.....percent for carbs protein and fat?

Options
I recently started eating clean and upped my calories from 1200 to 1500.

What is an optimal percentage for my carbs, protein and fat? Any suggestions? I feel pretty lost on this.

I have dairy and soy allergies and am not a huge meat-eater so protein has been tough lately.

HELP!

Replies

• hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Protein 1g per pound of lean body mass, 0.3g of fat per pound of bodyweight, rest from carbs :)

Russ
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm at 30% protean, 25% fat, 45% carbs.

Can you eat fish?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Protein 1g per pound of lean body mass, 0.3g per pound of bodyweight, rest from carbs :)
    There's at least one word missing from this
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i make sure i get around 128 gm of protein,or higher if possible and keep the rest of it fat and carbs.
    i set my dairy to 45:30:25-carb:protein:fat.
    and i get most of my carbs from veggies and fruits and minimal amount from breads/pasta/rice each day.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    45% Protien, 45% Carb, 10% fat.............there is a method to this....contact me if you are really interested :)
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Protein 1g per pound of lean body mass, 0.3g per pound of bodyweight, rest from carbs :)
    There's at least one word missing from this

Fat, Thank You, it has been a long day, edited to show correction :)

Russ
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. Tip if you're having trouble getting enough protein with your dietary restrictions: try a non-soy veggie based protein powder (rice and pea protein are two common ones). Links to a couple types below!

http://www.amazon.com/NUTRIBIOTIC-VEGAN-RICE-PROTEIN-Vanilla/dp/B00014DLC4

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Pea-Protein-lbs/dp/B001DB4MFO/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    45% protein, 45% carbs and 10% fat is what I shoot for.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but just finished reading Why We Get Fat, which is the second book on the topic written by a science writer for the New York Times and Scientific American. I found it convincing.

He - and the people at the Harvard Health Study - suggested that a diet with 35-40% carbs, and 30% each protein and fat provided the best realistic, sustainable levels of long term weight loss and weight maintenance. You lose faster with fewer carbs, but it's not sustainable and it has other really negative health benefits.

The argument is that carbs - especially added sugar and liquid carbs (soda/beer) spike your insulin level, causing fat storage and blocking fat burning. Because they block fat burning, you can only burn the sugar in your blood, which makes you crave more carbs.

I don't know, although the argument sounded good to me.

I do know that when I set my carbs to 40% (which was hard enough, in truth, for me to hit), my weight loss picked up a bit. I hadn't been particularly hungry before, but at this level I rarely get hungry even if I am way under my calories.

Higher fiber is also helpful.

http://garytaubes.com/
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it is better to base your macros off body weight than percentages. Unless you are really overweight this should work for you. Here is a video I found really helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakMu9ddQ5I

I use a minimum of one gram of protein per pound of lean body wieght and a minimum of .25 grams of fat per pound of lean body weight. The remainder of my calories I just make up with whatever combination of carbs, fats, and proteins.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it is better to base your macros off body weight than percentages. Unless you are really overweight this should work for you. Here is a video I found really helpful.

I use a minimum of one gram of protein per pound of lean body wieght and a minimum of .25 grams of fat per pound of lean body weight. The remainder of my calories I just make up with whatever combination of carbs, fats, and proteins.

I like this, but am finding it difficult to reach protein goals based on what I *assume* to be my lean body mass (159 x .8 = 127) let alone my desired lean body mass (155 x .88 = 136). Will likely purchase some whey protein powder soon to add to the muscle milk shakes I'm already consuming.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. MFP will calculate your protein automatically when you set which percentage you decide to do, but you should be eating around 1g protein per 1lb lean body mass. Someone may be able to tell you how to calculate that, mine was done for me by my dietitian. I wish I could help further. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

I like this, but am finding it difficult to reach protein goals based on what I *assume* to be my lean body mass (159 x .8 = 127) let alone my desired lean body mass (155 x .88 = 136). Will likely purchase some whey protein powder soon to add to the muscle milk shakes I'm already consuming.

Yeah the protein powders are really helpful for supplementing protein while keeping calories lower.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I get a minimum of 1g of protein/lb of lbm, .4g of fat/lb of lbm and fill in the rest with whatever I feel like that day. This doesn't change for me reguardless of cutting or bulking.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Same as above: 40 carb/30 protein, 30 fat