CLIMBING WALL CHALLENGE

Options
Promised to climb a 43 foot climbing wall with grandson. Anyone with any advice. Never climbed one of these things but willing to give it a go. Family now making bets on how high i climb. Not very complimentary from 5 foot to 20 foot maximum. Son wants it on a video to put on computer for a laugh. Determined to prove them i can beat their expectations or even make it to the top.!!

Replies

• JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Biggest advice of rock climbing is use your legs. Your arms tire very quickly so use your biggest muscles. Always step your legs up and then stand up. Good luck!
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can you do a pull up? The other advise I'd give you is faster is better and don't look down until youv'e reacched the top of the wall and as noted earlier use your legs.
  • fay1958
    fay1958 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No way can i do a pull up.!!! Could not do them when i was at school let alone all these years later. Am determined to give it a go though. Thanks and i will take your advice and let the legs do the work.
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Climbing is a lot easier than you'd think! Definitely use your feet as much as you can - it's really mostly about footwork vs. arm strength, though having upper body strength of course is a plus. My main advice is more about the mental aspect: try to continue linking your steps and moves, and don't stop for more than a second if you can. Once you stop, you can start to second guess yourself and feel like you can't make that next move. Freezing up is your worst enemy in climbing. :) And if you fall, try and try again.
    Keep your core tight and stay centered - balance is your friend.
    My guess is that your climb is going to be beginner rated, so you should have nice big holds - easy peasy. Good luck! You can do it!
  • fay1958
    Options
    Thanks for the vote of confidence its a real ego booster.
  • fay1958
    Options
    Thanks for the info will check it out.