I want sexy abs!

Options
How do I get them? :laugh:

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Try painting them on, that's the easiest way.
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    I'm not necessarily looking for the easiest way :smile: :wink: But thanks for the advice.
  • theodus
    theodus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you lose body fat, muscle definition will, generally, increase. Find out your body fat percentage and see how much you can lose while still staying safe and healthy. Ab workouts will help to strengthen your abs, but it's really about body fat percentage.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    120424-ab-hancer.jpg&sa=X&ei=e_oOUIfSDoO36wHV_YCIAg&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEiJZziKlFXXcpNVNBbtO1Zr9Fxnw

cbb-fake-abs.jpg&sa=X&ei=D_oOUIbqM4eQ6wHv2IDABw&ved=0CAkQ8wc4EA&usg=AFQjCNHHfiTg90-kjSlFLvqa-zgrB5ToTw
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    My BF% is currently 31% (Eeky, I know, but I'm here to change that!)
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    120424-ab-hancer.jpg&sa=X&ei=e_oOUIfSDoO36wHV_YCIAg&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEiJZziKlFXXcpNVNBbtO1Zr9Fxnw

cbb-fake-abs.jpg&sa=X&ei=D_oOUIbqM4eQ6wHv2IDABw&ved=0CAkQ8wc4EA&usg=AFQjCNHHfiTg90-kjSlFLvqa-zgrB5ToTw

That's hilarious, but I'd like to wake up with mine rocking as well :laugh:
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to body fat%. Lower your body fat, eat clean, and do strength training. I'm hoping to someday have them as well :smile:
  • disiders
    disiders Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm working out to Turbo Jam right now, and it's got some good ab exercises. I can see the start of a 6 pack, after 30 days. It's fun, but not too dancy for people like me who have no rhythm or moves. I know I'm working out my abs, but it's less tedious then normal ab workouts. I like the kickboxing part - it's tough, but not too much so - very doable. I've heard that Hip Hop Abs are also good workouts, and a little more dancy.
  • theodus
    theodus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay, you probably don't want to go below 21%, which is the low healthy range for most women. Don't sweat your current, it's actually within recommended healthy guidelines. If you're looking to drop fat, then I'd recommend focusing on your caloric intake and also weight training. Increasing muscle will increase your metabolic rate, meaning you'll burn more calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It will come down to body fat %. Genetically some can have distinct abs at 20% and some have to do less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dee678
    Dee678 Posts: 53
    Options
    Before I go injured and then sick, I did a lot of weight lifting, cardio and Pilates.
    The Pilates were what pushed me over the edge for better abs.
    My lower belly tucked in and my waist was more defined.
    Once upon a time I was 214# w/ 18% body fat.

I don't even want to know what my BF is right now.

I am back in the gym, FINALLY!
    It's been 10 years since I was that fit and I realize that I may not get to that point again, but I am trying to be the healthiest I can with my health problems!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Don't we all. :laugh:

Like everybody else said, it mostly comes down to your diet and bodyfat. As far as the above poster.....There is nothing wrong with being below 21%... The lowest range of the lean category for women in around 18. I got tested and at 19% the dietician I consulted with said it was a perfectly fine range for women... I actually plan on losing more in bodyfat to get better definition..
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    Thank you very much to all serious posters for the great advice and to the "trolls" for the laughs. I'd love to have definition in my tummy since it's one of my strong spots anyway (I am pear shaped and tend to put on weight in my lower half)
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of advises here but the truth is - plain old crunches, side crunches, bicycle crunches, planks - 200/300 repetitions a day. There is no other way. You will see definition even before you BF goes down. Trust me I have done it and that is the only thing that will work. The Ab frame? Give me a break ;-).
  • johnpangan
    johnpangan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Its all about diet. You can do all the situps and crunches in the world but if your diet is not "clean" you will never have sexy abs. I could go for months and not do any ab exercises. I still maintain my 6 pack!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Its all about diet. You can do all the situps and crunches in the world but if your diet is not "clean" you will never have sexy abs. I could go for months and not do any ab exercises. I still maintain my 6 pack!

Exactly. Regular workouts will give you plenty of ab stimulation to keep a developed 6 pack...but it will invisible until your body fat is lower.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close to a six pack and don't do crunches. I do some planking, but mostly it's about cutting body fat... I credit mine to long slow runs and good eating. Now that they're showing, I'm working them harder to make em pop.

The planking is good for a tighter core which naturally narrows your waist.

[Edit: lol good eating... ok, I eat crappy processed foods... I think it's the running]
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I do too but if I keep eating at a deficit I would just be too skinny for my liking. So right now I'm attempting a "bulk" and then after a while of that I will do the deficit again and see what happens. I am experimenting. Lol.

You can barely see definition when I flex my abs right now. just barely.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I think having ripped abs may be genetic. I was down to 14% BF at one point, attempting to prep for a fitness contest, and I still had no definition in my abs. My abs were very strong, so it wasn't because of a weak core. My issue was that nearly all of that 14% BF was in my midsection.