Plastic Water Bottles In Hot Cars

Options
Is this safe? I bought a case of water bottles about three weeks ago and forgot them in my trunk. Found them today and am wondering if they are still safe to drink? It has been hot here in the last three weeks-highs in the 90's...

Replies

• rok2run
    rok2run Posts: 17
    Options
    bump?
  • dommie06
    dommie06 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    http://www.press.nestle-watersna.com/Issues/Are-plastic-bottles-safe-if-exposed-to-heat.htm

heres a link that answers that question i had to look it up myself cuz i jus went and got some water from my car thats been in there for a while
  • jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I always here from people that something happens when water is left in your car you get cancer or something... I think it might be only if the sun hits it I can't remember.
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options
    http://www.press.nestle-watersna.com/Issues/Are-plastic-bottles-safe-if-exposed-to-heat.htm

heres a link that answers that question i had to look it up myself cuz i jus went and got some water from my car thats been in there for a while

As one of the largest multinational food corporations, which has a strong interest in keeping people calm, Nestle is not exactly a trustworthy source... They can (and probably do) pay for studies which support their claims.

However, on the original subject, I doubt that it's a problem. It seems like another one of those health scares that go around.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I use a Brita water bottle that is BPA free though, so you might wanna look into that.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It is safe unless you've opened and drank from it already. Only drink from a new/fresh bottle in a car.

Bits of carbon break off from the edges of the bottle and into the water (totally fine and healthy and A-Ok). Problem here is that when you drink, some of the bacteria in your mouth goes back into the bottle.

Leaving the bottle in the car gives bacteria a place to live (in the water in the bottle), food to eat (carbon break off from the bottle), and a great breeding environment (heat from the car). They can then replicate quite quickly.