Running want to start but...

Options
I can't afford proper trainers and don't know if I will actually enjoy it. So was wondering if its ok to run In my regular trainers to start with?

Replies

• runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy running until I got good shoes, meant for running and fitted for my gait, stride, etc.

Without proper shoes, my shins burned during runs, my knees ached long after I'd finished, and my lower back was often sore. With good shoes, those aches and pains are all (mostly) behind me. Like anything else, if you go in unprepared, you run a higher risk of not meeting your full potential.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It depends on the distance you are going to be running. If you're just starting and running just a mile or two at a time, regular sneakers should be fine. Once you build up to a longer distance though, you're body needs better support to prevent injury. I wouldn't wait though! Get out there and start!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    it really depends on the person, some people don't have any problems with it and some need proper shoes. I run barefoot which takes the whole thing out of the equation but does require a longer lead up time, IMO (you need to gain foot strength and be much more mindful of how you land in the beginning).
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    If you're just getting started and don't have any unusual pain then yeah, you should be fine to start off with. Once you start getting more mileage and if real pain (not just soreness) kicks in then I'd recommend getting a good pair of shoes. Best purchase I ever made.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Not the best advice to run with improper shoes. I'd hate to see you get injured.

Please see my list of running tips below and hopefully they help.

1. Good Pair of Running Shoes properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about. They are the third most important piece of equipment after your feet and brain.

2. Listen to your body. If you aren't used to running, the urge to go as far as you can, as fast as you can, can and usually does lead to injuries.

3. Most people should follow the 10% rule... never exceed the previous weeks running by more than 10% (especially on longer runs). Build gradually, Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was marathon distance running. Keep in mind, according to mythology the first Greek who ran to Marathon dropped dead on arrival. Don't be that guy!

4. Take a program or running clinic. They will guide you to what are reasonable distances and what to expect. Running Clinics are wonderful opportunities to learn about the sport and run with other people of similar experience levels. The offer you a coached experience. It is also fun to run in a group. You can find the programs online or at your local running stores (I coach for the Running Room)

5. Find a running buddy will help keep you motivated.

6. Sign up for an event and train for it. Most people start by signing up for a 5K about 10 weeks out. Again, keeps you focused and the feeling of success when you cross the finish line is fantastic. Start with a 5K, build to a 10K, then a Half, and Full and eventually Ultra (my goal for this year).

7. There is an old adage that you can't teach speed. Don't be discouraged by your pace, work on endurance first. Speed comes much later. I have people in my clinics who run 8 minute miles, and I have people who run 15 minute miles. They are all fabulous and dedicated runners. I teach people that we are all as different as our feet, I couldn't run a mile in your shoes, and you'd trip all over the place in mine ( unless you wear a size 12 double E width

8. Treat every run as a learning experience. Did you have a great run today? Or was it a supremely crappy one? Why was that? What went wrong? Not every run is going to be an awesome run, and not all of them bad. Try to find the positives and build from them.

Probably many more things I could add. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have questions or need advice.

Good luck and be safe!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Get out there and get runnin! When you need better shoes, your body will tell you. I suggest C25K!!
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wore my regular runners at first on the treadmill. I could run for about a minute before I started to hurt (probaby because I'm so terribly out of shape). I splurged and bought new running shoes, and my time went from 1 minute to 3 and a half without the aches and pains. I find with proper shoes its easier to go longer. Start slow and see how it feels. I've hated running my entire life, and now... I push myself to run every time because I'm starting to love it! Good luck!
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    This is just my opinion, which will be opposite of every runner on MFP's opinion: I've been doing C25K for a week in the shoes I've had for almost 10 years. We'll see how it goes a few weeks in (I may be begging for an upgrade), but I don't plan on being a serious runner, so I'm not going to invest in shoes unless I decide that I actually like it. I'm a cheapskate. My husband uses cheap shoes and runs 8 miles 3X a week. He is the kind of person who SHOULD be buying good shoes because he does it enough to where he could do a lot of damage that will plague him later in life (but I try not to nag). ;) But, nice shoes would be wasted on me, at least at this point. ;)
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Get out there and get runnin! When you need better shoes, your body will tell you. I suggest C25K!!

This.
  • NoSpandex
    NoSpandex Posts: 54
    Options
    When I first decided to try running 4 years ago, I used this plan from the American Running Association:
    https://www5719.ssldomain.com/engenuous/upload/lawndale/docs/Forms/Fitness Center/ara 12 week walk run.pdf

I know when you look at it, it seems way too slow, but it is actually perfect. It was created to slowly build your running to prevent injury. I followed this up with a half marathon training plan, and my first race as a runner was a half marathon.

However, before I even started I went to a running store and got the right shoe. Having the right shoe is the most important thing you can do. It makes a huge difference.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    People have done it (when I was in the Army - back in the mid 70s - we were issued awful running shoes and we had to run a lot, everyone had terrible shin splints, sore feet, sore knees etc) and survived but running is much more enjoyable with a decent pair of shoes.

Interestingly there has been a fair bit of research that has shown that despite all of the high tech shoes that the rates of injuries among runners has remained relatively unchanged in the past 30 years or so and that the most important factor is that they fit you properly. (The verdict is still out as to effectiveness of minimalist / barefoot running shoes - it seems that the improved injury risk comes more from improved running mechanics). If you shop around a bit you can usually find "last year's" model of a good shoe on sale at pretty reasonable prices.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Or, you could learn to run barefoot!