Question: carbs vs. calories

Options
Hello,
I'm new to tracking nutritional intake. I've been following the P90X menu and everything has been dead on so far in terms of recommended carbs, fat, protein. Unfortunately I was unable to prepare a lunch last night because of other commitments, so I'll need to pick up something nearby. Best choice seems to be Subway, and for the most part it looks okay when I plug it into the food diary. However, it looks like I will be over the recommended allowance of carbs while still well under on calories.

I'm confused on what would be the result of intaking surplus carbs while maintaining a caloric deficit? If I understand this correctly, surplus carbs are stored as fat but a deficit means that you are burning more than you consume, so do the additional carbs get burned, stored as fat, or what?

Replies

• tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    I know too many carbs will knock you out of ketosis and for a little bit you'll be burning those calories instead of the fat calories you've already stored.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    you can always do a salad at subway.. they can make any sandwich into a salad.. I love the veggie pattie on my salad, heated up and cut up and then red wine vinegar as dressing.. doesn't sound like alot of carbs to me..
  • CoryKS
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I know too many carbs will knock you out of ketosis and for a little bit you'll be burning those calories instead of the fat calories you've already stored.

Do you know whether a one-time surplus will cause this, or do you have to be a repeat offender?

you can always do a salad at subway.. they can make any sandwich into a salad.. I love the veggie pattie on my salad, heated up and cut up and then red wine vinegar as dressing.. doesn't sound like alot of carbs to me..

That's what I'll do. Checked the database and the carbs went waaay down without the bread. Thank you!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    no prob.. I used to work at subway when I started dieting :tongue:
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Do you know whether a one-time surplus will cause this, or do you have to be a repeat offender?

one-time can definitely do it, but a good workout will get you back on track pretty quickly. I've noticed high fat foods put me out for a couple of days, but whole grains are pretty easy to recover from.
  • a00link
    Options
    Does it cost more to make it a salad?

My chicken teriyaki would probably be a great salad... mmm.
  • CoryKS
    Options
    Does it cost more to make it a salad?

My chicken teriyaki would probably be a great salad... mmm.

They charged me about the same price for the salad as they would have for the sandwich. Not sure if they deducted for the bread, but if not then the salad is costlier.
  • CoryKS
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

one-time can definitely do it, but a good workout will get you back on track pretty quickly. I've noticed high fat foods put me out for a couple of days, but whole grains are pretty easy to recover from.

Thanks for the info, tvgal. Tomorrow's routine is kenpo which, though not the hardest workout in the program, is still a really good cardio session. I think the crisis has been averted thanks to rattykid's suggestion, but I'll file this away for future reference.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    One meal with surplus carbs is going to have virtually no effect on your weight loss.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    One meal with surplus carbs is going to have virtually no effect on your weight loss.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you are worried about it make sure you choose good carbs like wheat bread. Going over a little every once in a while will not hurt you or mess up your weightloss the only way that would happen is if you eat a large amount of carbs on a daily basis.