Fitbit vs body media Fit

Options
annhjk
annhjk Posts: 794 Member
I've seen a lot it topics on this, but my question is about intense workouts - and wihich one is better I'm current doing chalean extreme/turbo fire hybrid. I have a HRM that I use for workouts. I'm trying to figure out which one would be better for a person that does intense workout DVDs. I know my RMR is around 2000 (I had it tested on a breathing machine at max muscle). Now I just need to figure out all the rest ad see what I need to do to drop body fat. Hoping one of these will help me - I just need to figure out which one.

Replies

• babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Options
    I looked into those before and I thought body media fit requires a month subscription to use it.
  • annhjk
    Options
    3 months free, then $7 a month after that. Hoping I wouldn't need it that long to figure out how much I need to eat.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Body Media is better for measuring calories burned. There are people who use an HRM and the fitbit because the fitbit is not good for strength training. I have both and started strength training and the fitbit said I was sedentary despite the fact I was sweating also the calorie difference is usually just over 200 higher on the body media. The $7 is worth it. I recommend Ebay. People are buying them there cheaper and some are getting year long subscriptions for $32.00 (not sure how that works).
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Body Media Fit. I chose it over the Fitbit because it had more sensors and collected more types of data from my body. I don't mind paying the $6.95 a month for access. It's been really effective and accurate for me with helping to determine my maintenance calories.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    If you drink Starbucks look at as one or two days without. :happy:
  • UpEarly
    Options
    Also... a lot of people choose the Fitbit because it can be worn more discreetly. The Body Media is worn on an armband. But personally, I wear my Body Media tucked into the side band of my bra. I found the numbers there were very comparable to what I saw when I wore it on my arm.
  • pensfan1
    pensfan1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a Body Media and love it. I don't do a ton of high intensity workouts, but I really do love my armband. You really get used to wearing it - I wear mine all day; not just when I'm exercising. I like knowing what I've burned in real time (I keep the little watch face with me). I also like the reports that you can create on Body Media's website. You can see things like your average burn, average calories and nutrition (if you log meals), average steps, etc. I'm not going to lie - it was an adjustment getting used to the armband, but it's not bad at all now.
  • annhjk
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I just ordered one in amazon. Love the idea of tucking it into your bra - then I can still wear it in sleeveless shirts without it standing out.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Also... a lot of people choose the Fitbit because it can be worn more discreetly. The Body Media is worn on an armband. But personally, I wear my Body Media tucked into the side band of my bra. I found the numbers there were very comparable to what I saw when I wore it on my arm.

I'm surprised the in-bra placement gave similar burns to on-arm. Since it mostly relies on an accelerometer to estimate what you're doing, I would think the motion of one's upper arm would be a lot different than their chest.

I've had both and kept only the Fitbit. But for weights, I'd use a database or HRM or something. If I recall right, the BMF isn't designed to track resistance training, either.
  • UpEarly
    Options
    I'm surprised the in-bra placement gave similar burns to on-arm. Since it mostly relies on an accelerometer to estimate what you're doing, I would think the motion of one's upper arm would be a lot different than their chest.

I've had both and kept only the Fitbit. But for weights, I'd use a database or HRM or something. If I recall right, the BMF isn't designed to track resistance training, either.

I was surprised, too. But I tested it over and over again, using the same workouts and same activities and the calories came out within about 25-50 total in difference. I guess because my torso accerlerates at the same rate my arm does?

I have a HRM, but I no longer use it. It always WAY overestimated my calories burns - especially for strength training. I lift 2-3 times a week, and I think the numbers I'm seeing are pretty reliable (based on how my weight has finally stabilized).
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Is the general consensus that the Body Media device will give you calories burned for weight training/resistance workouts?
  • UpEarly
    Options
    Is the general consensus that the Body Media device will give you calories burned for weight training/resistance workouts?

Mine seems to be accurate for my strength training workouts. I have a lot of friends who use them, and they've all had good results with accuracy.
  • angelacmoo
    angelacmoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodybugg SP (same tech as the Body Media) and I like it way better than the fitbit. It tracks steps too (though I heard it wasn't always super accurate on that), but I like knowing how many calories I'm burning each day and what activities burn the most. The fitbit was really just good for tracking my steps and I like to have more of an exercise routine than just getting 10,000 steps per day.

That being said, I do feel a little self-conscious about it and liked how discreet the fitbit was.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    I heard this line some where else and I use it occassionally and it gets a good laugh and some funny looks.

The judge lets me wear this instead of the an ankle one. I love my armband. I have black, zebra, pink, and chrome. Mine is the LINK.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I chose the fitbit as it's smaller, easier to wear, requires no subscription and tends to underestimate calories if anything.

I use a HRM for any cardio (as I would with a body media)
  • annhjk
    Options
    I chose the fitbit as it's smaller, easier to wear, requires no subscription and tends to underestimate calories if anything.

I use a HRM for any cardio (as I would with a body media)

From what we can figure out, I'm already under eating so I need it to be as accurate as possible.