Protein Help

Options
I am going to start using p90x in the next few days.
I want to know of foods that are great in protein besides egg whites and chicken. I've been debating if I should take muscle milk supplements or anything similar.

Just trying to expand my horizons.
Thank you everyone!!

Replies

• GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna. Straight from the tin. Use a glass of water to help it go down.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    fish

find a protein powder that you like. i've been using body fortress whey from walmart (hey don't judge it's cheap and tasty). i get the strawberry flavor and mix it with skim milk or water.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just bought some whey protein shake mix to give it a try. I'm curious if you find anything good out too. I'm starting to realize I need more protein as well. I was gonna ask, but you beat me too it so hopefully we'll get some good answers on here.
  • ShrinkinBootyB
    Options
    Cottage Cheese
    Tuna
    Low Fat Cheeses
    Skim Milk
    Beans
    Edamame

I drink anywhere from 2 - 3 protein shakes a day. Some straight powder with water... others with yummy goodness such as coffee. Lean beef, ground turkey, FISH. OH SALMON is my friend.

Also doing P90X :) Good luck!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    before jumping into a lot of suppliments see how your body responds to them.

I handle whey and casein (milk proteins) very well, and they work for me. I like them for convenience even though i know i really should be eating "real" food.

I use muscle milk, but for me in the amounts I get of it I use it for a fat suppliment and vitamin and mineral suppliment.

Powders are not for everybody, but as you can see from my diary they are a convenient way to up your protein.

I find Muscle Milk and Casein powders (particularly Optimum Nutrition's) taste great in just water. Most are only decent in a blender or in milk with other stuff added.

Powders are not some magic bullet though, they're just protein.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like Ham & turkey too. I like having an egg white burrito with fat free cheese and ham all mixed together with some hot sauce. Or a chicken taco with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, all the good stuff and a ton of chicken on a low carb wrap if you want.

Just fyi but I tried their high protein diet and I tanked BIG time. I have such low body fat that I can't survive on it and I felt horrible. Try their diet, see how it is for your, but stick to what works best for you. If you like it and your body responds well then YAH! I switched back to my HIGH carb diet and I am killing it through the p90x workouts. I wouldn’t be if I didn’t either and my body is starting to be fabulous!
  • diatonic
    diatonic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really like the fruit on the bottom Chobani non-fat Greek yogurts. I don't like the vanilla ones, but the fruit on the bottom ones are great! Stir them well. One 6 oz. serving has 14g of protein.

Also, for snacks I like almonds. Decent source of protein, just don't get carried away calorie wise. I usually have 1/2 oz of dry roasted unsalted almonds as an afternoon snack. about 15-20 almonds. An ounce of almonds has about 6g of protein and ~180 calories.

Good luck!
  • christina423
    christina423 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has lifted heavy weights for over five years so protein is key to his workouts (Of course he swears by chicken/eggs). He lost a lot weight like you using a lot of the following foods:

- He uses Gold Standard WHEY protein, Chocolate or Strawberry are both good. He typically blends them with water. To change it up sometimes he uses SILK SOY Milk and other times he uses 1% Milk. He typically has the Protein Pre and Post Workout.

- Greek Yogurt is a great option - he is very picky on the brand because he says a lot of them are just like regular yogurt. He prefers the CHOBANI brand. Get the plain one. If you want flavor with it get Crystal Light Lemonade and mix some of it in with the yogurt... It is very good but be careful not too put too much in or it can get a little too sweet :)

- Cottage Cheese is another one (he uses 2%)- in our fridge its typically Chobani or the Cottage Cheese. He like to switch it up with those.

- He eats more chicken than I have ever seen anyone eat. He allows himself to have 2 - 3 yolks with his egg whites because there are good fats in the yolk.

I can ask him more if you want me to :) Hope this was helpful!
  • diatonic
    diatonic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been really happy with this multivitamin, though I only take 2 instead of the three they suggest.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Opti-Men-Multivitamins-180-Count/dp/B0015R3AAO/