Confused about fat

Options
Hi guys,

Just started mfp today (although been exercising and trying to eat healthy for a while now) and I have a question regarding fats.

I've decided to follow a 50/25/25 program 1500 calorie program. I've read that nuts and fish are good things to eat but these seem to have pushed my fats quota very high high and I'm worried that i'm eating too much fatty foods and this could be the reason why i can't lose my belly.

Also does the fat amount 51g account for all the fats or just saturated fats?

Thanks

PS My diary is available to view

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Just started mfp today (although been exercising and trying to eat healthy for a while now) and I have a question regarding fats.

I've decided to follow a 50/25/25 program 1500 calorie program. I've read that nuts and fish are good things to eat but these seem to have pushed my fats quota very high high and I'm worried that i'm eating too much fatty foods and this could be the reason why i can't lose my belly.

Thanks

PS My diary is available to view

Fat doesn't make you fat.

Sugar makes you fat, and makes you retain it around your belly. Take a look at all the sugar in your Tesco soup, for example.

Your body also *requires* fat to properly absorb vitamins and nutrients.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Well, everything overdone doesn't help. I've found an overall balanced diet is key. The recommendations here really do work for a lot of people, myself included. Don't be afraid of food or a certain nutrient. We need fat and carbs; they are our fuel.

ETA- also, keep in mind that most people here, myself included, are posting based on their personal experiences. So, grain of salt. The support here can be really awesome :)
  • postrockandcats
    Options

52g is total fat. Saturated fat is counted separately. Eating less fat than you are, if today is an average day for you, isn't a bad idea. So is cutting out the processed foods. All those chemicals are scary!
  • doreenOrtiz
    doreenOrtiz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, stay away from all soft drinks including diet soda, no sugar substitutes and take in less sodium (1,000 to 1,500 grams) your stomach will start to look flatter. That's what I try to do because the less water you retain the better. that's just my opinion and things I have read.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Sugar makes you fat, and makes you retain it around your belly.

Nope.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Nope.

Thank goodness someone pointed this out.

Eating more calories than you are using per day makes you fat.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Sugar makes you fat, and makes you retain it around your belly. Take a look at all the sugar in your Tesco soup, for example.

Are you seriously telling me that if I ate 5 blocks of lard a day I wouldn't get fat?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Are you seriously telling me that if I ate 5 blocks of lard a day I wouldn't get fat?

Yes it would

Other foods that make you fat if you eat too much include:

Cheese
    Carrots
    Lasagne
    Escargo
    Beef Wellington
    Cherry flavour Lollypops
    Tomato Soup
    Salt and vinegar crisps

Shall I go on?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Concur with all those who have said neither fat nor sugar makes you fat. Calorie surplus makes you fat. 52 grams in not a bad number but recomedation is really based on % of body weight and, unless I missed it, you didn't give your weight. Also, the lipid hypothesis has been debunked. No reason to aviod saturated fats unless you are a high responder with a family history of cholesterol related heart disease.
  • daan_vb
    daan_vb Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for the advice.

I'm 5'7 and 67kg. Quite lean except for a ring of fat around my midriff haha.

Is the Robinsons and Tesco's no added sugar cordial bad for me? Should I avoid it?
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Is the Robinsons and Tesco's no added sugar cordial bad for me? Should I avoid it?

If it fits in to your daily calories and macronutrients, why not? I am of the opinion that everything in moderation is a good rule of thumb. Just remember that those sort of items take up lots of calories and leave you wanting more...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

So, a reasonable far amount would be .8 grams per kg of body weight. Not critical if over or under +/- 15 or 20% in a given day. Healthy mix of good fats including saturated. Only fat to avoid is transfat
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Nope.

Thank goodness someone pointed this out.

Eating more calories than you are using per day makes you fat.

Eating way too many calories from either source can make you fat...but we're not talking about getting fat and the process is NOT the same.

We're talking about forcing your body to let go of and burn fat rather than stored glycogen (sugar) or protein (muscle)

Burning more calories than you eat won't necessarily make you skinny.

so how do you lose fat?

REorganize the enzymatic response of your body. Glut 4 and 5 receptors, insulin balance, adrenal balance, pancreatic function, growth hormone production, IGF-1....on and on we go.

EVERY cell in your body uses cholesterol and Fatty Acids to function.

Lets not forget about the role your brain plays. high carb ingestion spikes your insulin which causes a massive absorption of all amino acids EXCEPT>>> bum buuuuuuum. Tryptophan, which is your precursor to seratonin...seratonin spikes are addictive...thus carbs are heroine. I bet you can eat twice the calories with a bag of tortilla chips (mostly carb) than you can an avocado.

Don't be afraid of good fats and stay the heck away from simple carbs and your body will love you.
  • postrockandcats
    Options

I'm of the opinion due to personal experience that those kinds of drinks make me thirstier and therefore are useless to drink :)

That aside, ignoring any arguments about chemicals, if it's within your daily goals rock it out. Drink a gallon of it if you want. A balanced diet really is key, though.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Oh please, that's just playing troll and taking it WAY out out of context.

My point was related to his question about eating things like fish and nuts, and addressing his concerns re: these fats contributing to belly fat. I was simply pointing out that your body does not simply take fats ingested and turn these into fat stores.

And there is ample scientific evidence to indicate that a calorie is NOT just a calorie, and that your body treats (assuming equal calories ingested) things like fat and sugar differently. A diet high in healthy fats will not, in and of itself, make you fat. However (again assuming an equal caloric intake and equal caloric burn) a diet higher in processed sugar is more likely to result in fat deposits around the middle.

Of COURSE you will gain body mass if you ingest more calories than you burn. However, AGAIN, my point is that eating more of your calories from sugar is more likely to result in retention of fat stores around your middle (which was the concern/question raised). (Therefore a sarcastic comment from a known troll about not getting fat from eating 5 lbs of lard is just stupid and needlessly aggressive. Go get a life outside the internet.)

Way to miss the point entirely. Do you want me to hold your hand for you while you go pee, too?

Yes it would

Other foods that make you fat if you eat too much include:

Cheese
    Carrots
    Lasagne
    Escargo
    Beef Wellington
    Cherry flavour Lollypops
    Tomato Soup
    Salt and vinegar crisps

Shall I go on?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Oh please, that's just playing troll and taking it WAY out out of context.

My point was related to his question about eating things like fish and nuts, and addressing his concerns re: these fats contributing to belly fat. I was simply pointing out that your body does not simply take fats ingested and turn these into fat stores.

And there is ample scientific evidence to indicate that a calorie is NOT just a calorie, and that your body treats (assuming equal calories ingested) things like fat and sugar differently. A diet high in healthy fats will not, in and of itself, make you fat. However (again assuming an equal caloric intake and equal caloric burn) a diet higher in processed sugar is more likely to result in fat deposits around the middle.

Of COURSE you will gain body mass if you ingest more calories than you burn. However, AGAIN, my point is that eating more of your calories from sugar is more likely to result in retention of fat stores around your middle (which was the concern/question raised). (Therefore a sarcastic comment from a known troll about not getting fat from eating 5 lbs of lard is just stupid and needlessly aggressive. Go get a life outside the internet.)

Way to miss the point entirely. Do you want me to hold your hand for you while you go pee, too?

Now THAT sounds more like the sort of thing a troll would say!

Your message was quoting me yet was seemingly about someone else? Who is the known troll that was talking about the lard?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Care to post some of this ample scientific research? What is more likely to be stored as fat, processed sugar or fat?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Care to post some of this ample scientific research? What is more likely to be stored as fat, processed sugar or fat?

Came to ask this same thing
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    http://bit.ly/LOAZTE

http://bit.ly/LOBixA

http://bit.ly/LOBqgu

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    http://bit.ly/LOAZTE

http://bit.ly/LOBixA

http://bit.ly/LOBqgu

Google =/= scientific research

You have substantiated none of the nonsense you posted