Soooo hungry in the afternoon

Options
Does anyone do 5-6 mini meals a day? How has it been working for you? I am thinking about switching over because I have been finding that I am soooo hungry between 10am and 6pm. My calories are set to 1350 to lose 1 pound per week. I usually have some kind of smoothie for breakfast with protein powder or some toast & pb and a fruit. Most of the time my breakfast comes to around 200 calories. I try to keep my lunch to around 3-400 and I have some kind of protein with a fruit and veggie. Today I had a Turkey Sausage and Egg White English muffin sandwich, orange, and an egg. For snack I had a bag of 100 popcorn. By 4pm I was starving again. I usually try to keep about 50% of my calories for dinner because it is big around here. Any suggestions???

*I drink tons of water through the day!

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Pack more protein into your breakfast and lunch. You could probably stand to use a few more calories for breakfast. That is what has been working for me.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do! You can look at my diary if you'd like (Monday through Friday are the best examples). I try to keep most of my meals between 200-300 calories a piece, and my snacks between 100-200 calories a piece. I've been struggling to get all my calories in at the end of the day, but I am improving.
  • ctdeanks
    ctdeanks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do 6 meals, works great for me, you can check out my logs for some ideas.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    3 big meals here while cutting cals.
    I skip breakfast and just eat huge meals in the afternoon/evening.
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    Hey my Diary is open too and I'm on the same page (ignore the two chocolates today though LOL)
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I always start my day with juicing in the morning at like 7am. Then around 9am I have a good breakfast. Usually some form of eggs and veggies or oatmeal. Then lunch around 1230. I never have a problem of being hungry and never go over my calories.

Try googling some Hungry Girl breakfast recipes. Her's usually always have protein and low calorie.
  • catiph
    catiph Posts: 1
    Options
    I totally get your predicament, I have been fighting the afternoon munchies myself for a while, not always successfully. What i find does work for me is anticipating the hunger and pre-empting it with some fruit or a sugarless fruit smoothie at 3-4 pm. You can do this with 1 cup of 0% milk, some strawberries or blackberries (these are some of the lowest-calorie fruits, or you can do it with strawberries and a green apple), and some nutra-sweet if you are the sweet-tooth kind (I know I am!). To make it even bigger, you can add 1/2 to 1 cup of ice cubes in the blender. This will yield about 2 tall glasses for a total of about 120-140 calories. You'll be able to hang on until dinner time and not have to sacrifice a big part of dinner for it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I usually have three meals and two snacks. I haven't been logging consistently but I've got my food in for yesterday and today, if you want to check it out. They're pretty typical days for me.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I got to eat 4 or 5 times with smaller meals (sometimes even 6) than just the 3 a day or I am hungry as hell.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    just try to keep your snacks under 200 calories, i tried doing this with the food lovers system, but couldnt stick to it because i was having trouble getting snacks in between meals while i was working (i take a lunch break, and no other breaks, i work in a nursing home and am on the go) and i felt like i was eating when i wasnt hungry, but if u are hungry, eat. that's what i do now, sometimes i have a snack after work, if i am hungry, if i'm not hungry, i don't
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Things like popcorn I wouldn't find filling (or lots of carbs), orange juice or oranges would prob send my blood sugar up and then down (crashing) so then make me hungry. For me, I find that when I have lots of proteins and good fats, I feel full. So eggs cooked in coconut oil with slices of avocado and salsa is very filling for a long time and stuff like that.

BTW my hungry time is 11-2pm I'm so hungry at those times.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I do 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. It seems to help my blood sugar stay level and keep the cravings away. It also keeps me full so that I don't overindulge at night. When I was pregnant with my children (many years ago), I was gestational diabetic and the dietician I met with suggested this way of eating. It worked very well then and when I decided to be serious about losing weight this time, I went back to that way of eating. I eat protein at every meal/snack and at meals eat no more than 60 grams of carbs (although most of the time my carb consumption is much closer to 45). At snacks I eat about 15 grams of carbs. Hope this helps some.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Spread your calories over the day however it is most comfortable and satiating for YOU.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    3 meals + 2 snacks and it seems to be working fine. I'm not much for breakfast (I'm not a morning person) so I drink a Carnation Breakfast shake with 1% milk. Lunch is around noon-12.30 and supper 6-7. What I have depends on if my husband is home from work. I have a snack of walnuts/almonds or string cheese or a tortilla with PB and margarine at 3.30ish and another at 9.30ish.

For being so hungry, are you setting yourself to lose 2# a week? If you are, I suggest lowering that to 1#/week and seeing if you're still starving. I know that feeling, but I had to cut myself off from boredom eating which is what I did all the time.
  • SilverLuma
    SilverLuma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I felt this way earlier this month. I started eating smaller meals, a morning snack and an afternoon snack. I tried to save around 700 calories for dinner, just in case because it is a home cooked meal and I don't always have control over what it is. I found if I upped my lunch with some healthy protein and added like 100 cals (to lunch) that eventually I stopped feeling so hungry. Also, drink more water! I think it took about 2 to 3 weeks for my stomach to adjust to the change in the way I eat. I felt hungry a lot at the beginning but I feel satisfied now with what I eat, now that my body has adjusted. I am doing Insanity so I eat more like 1500-1700 net cals a day but I started at 1300 when I joined his site and was exercising less. I was having the same problem then. Feel free to look at my diary, it's not always as healthy as it could be but it has been working for me.
  • CJefferson23
    Options
    You could try to get in about 5-6 meals a day, 2-3 hours apart. Yes, breakfast is the key.... that can contain more calories as you have the entire day to burn them off...then scale down throughout the day. Another way is for the 3 meals to be the larger meals and the two in-between snacks to be light. Try it different ways, but stay consistent on the times between meals (2-3 hrs between). Have a healthy snack between breakfast and lunch and also between lunch and dinner....usually protein and a fruit or some combination like that. Keep up with the water...making sure you drink a full 8oz. before each meal...(I used to try to drink a gallon a day) over time (maybe a couple weeks to a month - each person being different) your body will "tune in" to the new routine and you will burn the food accordingly. I found that I would get hungry every 2-3 hours like clockwork once this became a routine....it was AMAZING!!! You can do it!!! :wink:
  • SilverLuma
    SilverLuma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also just to list some of my favorite snacks.
    ~Cottage cheese and fruit
    ~almonds
    ~a few crackers and some low fat cheese
    ~light string cheese
    ~ fresh cherries, grapes, blackberries, etc (lot of sugar, but I've found that if I allow myself all the fruit and veggies I want that I still lose weight and it fills up my tummy. 35-60 cals a serving and a lot of nutritional value, can't go wrong with that :) )
    ~Quaker Quakes, I look for lower sodium ones and I eat 8 mini cakes instead of 16
    ~tuna and crackers
    Also, snack girl has a ton of great ideas on low cal, healthy snacks http://www.snack-girl.com/. She'll also help steer you away from some of the worst ones in her blog :). Hope that helps!
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have always strongly resisted eating 5 or 6 meals per day. I figured I'd consume more calories that way and, perhaps most truthfully, I felt that it was somehow cheating, that I should be able to have the will power to eat 3 meals only, with no "cheating" snacks between meals. So I'd vow not to cheat and ultimately give up after some period because I was always hungery. But since I started MFP almost two months ago, I've been eating 5 or 6 meals most days, with a fruit and lean protein as a typical snack or sometimes just a regular small meal in mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and after dinner. I'm almost never hungry unless I skip a meal or wait way past my normal meal/snack times because I'm shopping, busy, etc. I think the best thing I've discovered this time is how great it is to eat low glycemic, healthy foods, which also reduce sugar crash hunger pain. But the second best thing by far is how helpful it has been to eat 5 or 6 meals per day. With the combination of those two things, I almost never struggle to stay at or below my calorie goal; in fact, I often have to force myself to eat a big dinner and a meal after that to keep from eating too far below my daily calorie target (without even counting my exercise calories). Just my experience.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do 5-6 mini meals a day? How has it been working for you? I am thinking about switching over because I have been finding that I am soooo hungry between 10am and 6pm. My calories are set to 1350 to lose 1 pound per week. I usually have some kind of smoothie for breakfast with protein powder or some toast & pb and a fruit. Most of the time my breakfast comes to around 200 calories. I try to keep my lunch to around 3-400 and I have some kind of protein with a fruit and veggie. Today I had a Turkey Sausage and Egg White English muffin sandwich, orange, and an egg. For snack I had a bag of 100 popcorn. By 4pm I was starving again. I usually try to keep about 50% of my calories for dinner because it is big around here. Any suggestions???

*I drink tons of water through the day!
    Do you works out? If you do you can log those calories and be able to eat more. That is the way this site is set up.