650+ calories for mowing the grass?

Options
2»

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If I add things like gardening or lawn mowing, I just add in half the time.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Okay, never let it be said that mowing can't be considered exercise, especially if you're pushing a mower. I just did 50 minutes of mowing and while we have a gas mower that's self-propelled, our yard is big and a little hilly and has tons of landscaping you have to work around. My HRM reports 475 calories, average HR of 151 and max HR of 164. I'm drenched and my legs are shaking...possibly because I'm also doing the 30DS and had completed that about 30 minutes prior to hitting the lawn.

I'd say I've earned a little treat for myself today! :D
  • msdavis79
    msdavis79 Posts: 7
    Options
    I Second that, I substitute my cardio for my lawn once a week and I am completely spent by the end of it. Which includes a 2 hour free weight session right after. I burn about 1100-1200 calories that day easily.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It takes me 90 mins and some areas are so steep I can hardly mow now that my self propel option has died. I get such a workout. I could hardly move last night after mowing.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you're attempting my yard, it may well be that many.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Are you sweating and feel tired? Then go with it. Push mowers are a pain and hard to use. I'd say yes.

I'd give you 1000 to do mine :happy:
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    OK, I lost track of exact time, somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes, but I ran out of gas and had to go get more.

Doesn't 650 calories seem a bit high even for 90 minutes of pushing a mower around?

If it's true, I won't be paying the kids to do it anymore LOL

haha if you cut my yard it is spot on... my yard (front and back) is a hill... so you are not just mowing but you are climbing a hill and pushing a mower in front of you...
  • RPFORD23237
    RPFORD23237 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If I mow my lawn for 90 minutes, It tells me that I burned 790 calories. I also walked 4 miles in the mowing process giving me 479 calories burned. Should I be combining these two totals for 1269 calorie burned? Or do I need to pick one or the other?
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you did both, you should claim both.
  • ashleychaka
    Options
    I can't get the Myfitnesspal app to match anything relating mowing so I can plug it in. What do you guys put?
  • bgriffi3
    bgriffi3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    at weight of 175 pushing for 30 minutes it is 182 calories burned. It is entered on the list of Exercise now.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    HRM's can be off by 25% or more, so I wouldn't even worry about what you "burn" while mowing the grass. Getting that finite in tracking your daily activity is a little overkill.