Whats a good butter?

Options
I don't like synthetic stuff like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. I'm not afraid of good fats, I'm afraid of chemicals.

I tried Organic Valley Whipped Butter, but I'm not a fan of the taste. I think maybe its the sweet cream. It made everything taste funny, even when I used it within a recipe.

What is smart Balance? Is that actual butter? Or is it some kind of margerine concoction?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just buy unsalted butter produced by my local dairy producers. Same brand as the milk in the grocery store.
  • ForJanuary
    Options
    Try a mashed avacado lightly salted as a butter instead.
  • gperry227
    Options
    I use unsalted butter also. I love it. Remember, everything in moderation. I find it is better to use the "real stuff" than to fill my body with all those chemicals.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I really like Kerrygold (no it's not local, it's shipped over from Ireland-but it tastes divine). They have both salted and unsalted as well as a garlic and herb that is wonderful in pasta or to make garlic bread with.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Brummel & Brown Yogurt Spread Butter. VERYYYY good!!!!!! Veryyyy low fat, and much lower saturated fat. I don't like regular butter - salted or unsalted. It has a bad taste.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't like synthetic stuff like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. I'm not afraid of good fats, I'm afraid of chemicals....

.....What is smart Balance? Is that actual butter? Or is it some kind of margerine concoction?

I did a little searching and came up with this from Dr. Andrew Weil's website:

"While Smart Balance may be better than most margarine - if you adhere to the specified "balance" of fats in the rest of your diet - my views about margarine remain unchanged. It is still fat, mostly unhealthy fat, and a highly processed food. The less processed food you eat, the better. If your bread requires a spread, consider switching to some delicious, fresh bread that needs no help from added fat. Or try a little seasoned, mashed avocado or a light dribble of olive oil. Create low-fat toppings for your potatoes and other vegetables. And when you crave a bit of butter, use the real thing."

Here is a link to the page with the full text: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA46643
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I use Land O' Lakes light spreadable butter with canola oil. Some people will give you a BS speech about canola but it's okay to ignore them. They're the same people that will tell you the US moon landing never happened. Anyway, it tastes good, and although it does contain some "processed" ingredients, the #1 ingredient is water and the #2 ingredient is actual butter, followed by canola oil, and buttermilk. So, the amount of "processed" ingredients is very minimal ("less than 2%"). It also doesn't contain any hydrogenated anything.
    http://www.landolakes.com/Products/ViewProduct.cfm?ProductID=15116

For baking, I use real butter if I can't sub unsweetened applesauce.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I use Land O' Lakes light spreadable butter with canola oil. Some people will give you a BS speech about canola but it's okay to ignore them. They're the same people that will tell you the US moon landing never happened. Anyway, it tastes good, and although it does contain some "processed" ingredients, the #1 ingredient is water and the #2 ingredient is actual butter, followed by canola oil, and buttermilk. So, the amount of "processed" ingredients is very minimal ("less than 2%"). It also doesn't contain any hydrogenated anything.

They also make that spread with olive oil! So no one can gripe about that hehe

I buy Land O Lakes whipped butter....it's real butter but it's made with more air incorporated in. It is butter, but you seem to use less of it...I think it's the fact that you're using the same measurement (like 1 tbs.), when in reality you are eating much less because you're eating the air too :laugh:

Forgot to say that there is much less calories in the whipped butter as well!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I did a little searching and came up with this from Dr. Andrew Weil's website:

"While Smart Balance may be better than most margarine - if you adhere to the specified "balance" of fats in the rest of your diet - my views about margarine remain unchanged. It is still fat, mostly unhealthy fat, and a highly processed food. The less processed food you eat, the better. If your bread requires a spread, consider switching to some delicious, fresh bread that needs no help from added fat. Or try a little seasoned, mashed avocado or a light dribble of olive oil. Create low-fat toppings for your potatoes and other vegetables. And when you crave a bit of butter, use the real thing."

Here is a link to the page with the full text: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA46643

Good to know. Thanks for doing the research.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

What's wrong with canola oil?
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I was just at the market and all they had was Land o Lakes and the dreaded ICBINButter. Why is the dang name so long anyways. lol. I didn't buy it because it says made with sweet cream. I don't know if that is why the butter I was using tasted funny, so I didn't want to waste my money. I'll go to Kroger tomorrow and I'm sure they will have a better variety. I'm sure they have more than one type of butter. Brummel and Brown sounds familiar, I think I've seen it somewhere.

I don't get the hype about canola oil. I don't use it, I'm a nut for olive oil. But I always hear its good, then someone says its bad. I never bothered to research it because if I eat something with it, its not much and its not often.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. I have some idea of what to look for now.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i make my own. Put a few small containers of heavy cream in the Kitchen Aid mixer and let it do the work. Then drain the buttermilk out, make a ball out of the butter, rinse it in a bowl of ice water to keep it solid, dry with clean lint free kitchen towel (like sheet material) make sure all buttermilk is out so it keeps longer and pack into small container and cover. Or you can use a butter keeper. I use the buttermilk in waffle recipes (for the kids not for me lol) fresh butter ;) you can add salt, spices, garlics, etc to it whatever you like
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    i make my own. Put a few small containers of heavy cream in the Kitchen Aid mixer and let it do the work. Then drain the buttermilk out, make a ball out of the butter, rinse it in a bowl of ice water to keep it solid, dry with clean lint free kitchen towel (like sheet material) make sure all buttermilk is out so it keeps longer and pack into small container and cover. Or you can use a butter keeper. I use the buttermilk in waffle recipes (for the kids not for me lol) fresh butter ;) you can add salt, spices, garlics, etc to it whatever you like

I'll have to try that. Thanks. I think its always better to make your own stuff whenever possible. That way not only do you know whats in it, but you know its clean, lol. I'm a little OCD about clean food preparation.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I remember making butter in baby food jars when I was in elementary school. They gave us each a little jar filled with heavy cream and we shook it until we had butter. Then we got to eat it. I remember thinking it was way too much fun when I was a kid.
  • blackj91114
    Options
    Smart Balance or Olivio
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I love Promise Buttery spread :love:

... just adding my 2 cents :wink:
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Brummel & Brown Yogurt Spread Butter. VERYYYY good!!!!!! Veryyyy low fat, and much lower saturated fat. I don't like regular butter - salted or unsalted. It has a bad taste.

LOVE IT!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I completely cut out butter unless I am baking for my husband. I use just a little Olive Oil on meats like chicken and fish and even on veggies I use fresh herbs for more flavor.
  • Nmama
    Options

I'll have to try that. Thanks. I think its always better to make your own stuff whenever possible. That way not only do you know whats in it, but you know its clean, lol. I'm a little OCD about clean food preparation.

So am I!
  • Nmama
    Options

I remember making butter in baby food jars when I was in elementary school. They gave us each a little jar filled with heavy cream and we shook it until we had butter. Then we got to eat it. I remember thinking it was way too much fun when I was a kid.

So did I! So I had the kids try it. Yeah right. They got tired of it after 5 minutes and went back to playing pirates. lol so now its up to my mixer