Saw the ### on the scale and cried :/

Options
2»

Replies

• writergirljodie
    writergirljodie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @Richard - That might be a good idea... I am overcoming an injury, too. I tore the tendon in my right hip a few years ago and the docs have all told me that it's irreparable. But I've learned to work through the pain. When I first started, it hurt like hell every time I did anything strenuous. But after a little bit, it got a little better. And it kept getting better. Now, I have minimal pain most of the time as long as I continue to stay active and get those workouts in. I can always tell when I've been slacking off too much because the pain and numbness come back with a vengeance.

@Warriorgirl - There are some really good ideas for you here. I hope you find the right path that will help you achieve your goals and keep you healthy at the same time. I feel you. I know what it's like to have to work through excruciating pain. Aleve is your friend, for sure. Try to stay away from any other drugs, though, like prescription pain killers. They could end up causing more problems than you already have. Most Western medicine is designed for the quick fix - emergency situations. But it's been quite ineffective, in my honest opinion, when it comes to long-term disability. Most docs just throw drugs at patients and tell them to live with it. You may need to think outside the box a little and think holistic. There's got to be something out there that can give you the comfort to live your life on your terms. <3
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Warrior - sorry to hear the struggles you have faced but from here it appears you heading in the right direction.

Feel free to add me x
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    <3 i'm sorry to hear that, hopefully with myfitnesspal and the support on the (ridiculously nice in my opinion!) forums you'll be able to get where you want to be! Feel free to add me/chat any time.
  • rmaelee
    rmaelee Posts: 4
    Options
    I always sympathize when I hear about people with knee pain. I started having issues with my knees when I was a toddler. Pain is just part of my daily life now. I don't think I have problems as bad as yours, MRI showed rough, rather than smooth, patella for me. I used to do the elliptical. I started using a new cardio machine, called the 'ArcTrainer' I feel a whole body workout, without issues with my knees. I also twisted my ankle, and the elliptical caused pain. No pain with the ArcTrainer. I've been through a ton of phys therapy and chiropractic. I started taking glucosamine and stretching for at least 30 min a day, pre and post workout, and it made a huge difference. I have a super tight IT band...massages and stretches helped initially, now stretching is helping too.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Running does not seem like a good choice if you have knee issues, you should pick something Lower impact such as swimming, x-trainer or rower machine. You could also do an upper body weights routine and maybe some lowr body stuff depending on what you could handle.

300 calories burned swimming is exactly the same as 300 calories burned running but it's surely going be a lot safer for you,

Anyway the most important thing we be getting your diet right, not your choice of cardio.
  • xxalmostgoldenxx
    Options
    You sound very brave and determined! Utmost respect, hun!
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    it will get better ms
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That's horrible. So sorry. Feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I'd encourage you to take up boxing on a bag then since you don't really need to do alot of impact movement to get a great calorie burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Ugh, I have that in one knee. I can't imagine both. I fight through it though. I don't like taking pain meds because of my liver and what not. But that is really unfortunate to hear. I did therapy for my knee a couple years back. It made it feel so good, but then I got another job and didn't have insurance anymore. :( I actually think that I make mine worse by doing Zumba. But I take cartilage vitamins and press on, I'm probably going to regret it though. Since you can't do too many exercises maybe you just have to focus on your diet. I have those Shape Up shoes when I walk to take the impact off of my knee and those things work my butt out pretty good. Maybe you can just walk for exercise. I'm really sorry.
  • fitatfiftyfive
    Options
    Do you have access to a swimming pool? You could exercise in the water with minimal strain to your knees. Just a thought.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Being that you were a major athlete in high school is what is probably doing you in.

Basically, in our teen years, we go through a lot of growth, this requires calories and nutrients to fuel. Add to that you were an athlete, so now you needed even MORE.

Afterwards, you're done growing so now you don't spend those calories anymore. You also are limited on your exercise, no longer spending that either.

If you continued eating anywhere even remotely close to what you were in HS, I can see your weight going up quite quickly. This is also the real reason behind the idea of the "freshmen 15, which is actually a gradual weight gain and not all at once as is rumored.

Use MFP to count your calories and calculate your needs. As well, if swimming or other low impact exercises don't work for you, try things like boxing etc which don't require much leg/knee movement.

DO NOT exercise an injury. DO NOT exercise ANY joint that experiences ANY pain unless specifically instructed to do so by a doctor. In your case, since you have lost cartilage in your knees, bone will grind against bone and you will develop severe arthritis in your knees. This can be completely disabling in the future to the point of being wheel chair bound as an elder if you do not take care of them properly.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    In your situation I definitely recomend you take up Boxing, even if it's jsut for fitness

Boxing will help you lose the weight you want to, guaranteed! and all it requires of your legs is standing up =] it's such good cardio
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    In your situation I definitely recomend you take up Boxing, even if it's jsut for fitness

Boxing will help you lose the weight you want to, guaranteed! and all it requires of your legs is standing up =] it's such good cardio

Not to mention the sheer kick-butt-ness of a female boxer. Just DARE that girl to say something bad about you at the club... bua ha ha ha
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about pain in the knees mine are almost gone too. I saw a doctor that will do knee replacement surgery but wanted to try medications first...we tried 4 different ones before getting to Celebrex, it has been my miracle to pain gone and ability to walk without pain. Good luck with your knees
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Not to mention the sheer kick-butt-ness of a female boxer. Just DARE that girl to say something bad about you at the club... bua ha ha ha

Haha yes! I'm 6"3, large build, and I got dealt to by a petite girl who looked about 5"6, at kickboxing
  • scottydewwannalosewt
    scottydewwannalosewt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi

I read your posting. Have you looked into Aqua Zumba? I've heard that Aqua Zumba is great because it doesn't have the same amount of stress on the joints that regular Zumba has. I don't know if that might put some extra force on your knees.

Why don't you try posting a new topic of Aqua Zumba is it hard on your knees to see what people might suggest. I'm saying this because when I put a new posting on Zumba to find out information there were about 45 people that replied to my query so maybe you might get some good suggestions.

Could be worth a shot. I hope it works out for you.

Scott