Fast Food Addiction

Options
OK - my biggest challenge is fast food. I am seriously addicted to it. I have quit it before for a while, but it doesn't take much to get me right back on it. Anybody else dealing with that? Better yet, anybody figured out how to overcome it??? Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    spend all your money for food at the grocery store so you won't be able to afford fast food.(probably a bad idea) I would say you need to find healthier foods that you enjoy eating a lot of the food I eat now I would have never thought to buy before, but once you find a few healthy snacks you really like to eat it becomes easy for me a few are. greek yogurt, clif bars, pita chips, almonds
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I've hardly over come mine, but I've taken steps to reduce how much I eat. The first thing I started doing was creating my favorite fast food meals at home. You get twice as much food for the same or even less calories.

Tacos - my favorite and pretty much the only fast food I still eat. I cook these with turkey ground meat and you can't tell the difference with the taco seasoning. I stay away from cheese and sour cream but load with lettuce and salsa.

Burgers - contrary to what people, a big (lean) cheese burger is a great source of protein. I can't do turkey burgers but find the leanest beef you can, load with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and onions. I only use mustard as a condiment. Instead of fries or beans as a side, make a huge salad.

Fajitas - These are healthier then other choices at almost every place you eat. Its the loads of cheese and sour cream that packs the calorie punch. Cooking at home also gives you control of sodium and additives. Load up your low cal tortillas with meat, veggies and salsa.

Wings - baked wings make a healthier alternative to deep fried wings or even go boneless breasts to save even more calories.

Stir fry - I love some good chinese food, but all that fat and sodium wipes out a good amout of calories. Cook with your own blend of veggies and lean beef or chicken. Find a good teriyaki sauce recipe and side with white or brown rice instead of fried.

Hope this helps!

ETA: I've also learned to make better choices when I do go to the fast food places. Instead of two xxl chalupas I get hard taco frescas. Instead of a big mac, I get a regular burger and small fries.
  • philfinallyfit
    philfinallyfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Traveling overseas brings the ah ha experience home, as one sees that there might be McDonalds and such, there is no drive-thru windows. Alas, America is the only place where you can get totally obese and never leave your car.

That said, as a fast food addict I must share what has worked for me. I truly am/was addicted to the stuff. It's like the double-fry the french fries at McDonalds, coating them in sugar the first time, and in salt the second. Stuff's like crack to me.

But unlike most addicitons, I have used my faves (burgers, pizza, etc.) as building blocks to the new me. Given the fact that MFP has taught me that it is all about counting calories, and that I can eat all my daily cals in bananas if I want to,

I employed my lust for burgers and pizza heavily as I went on a 30 day initial Weight Watchers Smart Ones eating plan. I'd eat their small little mini-cheeseburgers and Artisan-crusted Pepperoni Pan Pizza in a way that fit my calories for the day.

Then, when I went off this initial frozen entree Smart Ones exclusive month of portion/calorie control, I figured out that I can use things like Subway to feed thoughtfully and sastisfyingly throughout each day. I can't bring myself to go back to McDonald's or Burger King again (addict, you know...), as that drive-thru window is off limits. But I bust out at sit-down places like Ted's Bison Grill or Fuddrucker's and feast on what I thought I would never order: BIson burgers, turkey burgers, and the like.

It's almost an attitude thing. I went to a burger spot for lunch today, and, given no turkey burgers (which are good and at times even great), I had my first Veggie Burger. It was actually better than I thought...better than the lower-end Turkey burgers I have tried.

Again, it's like golf: it's all between the ears. So maybe my addiciton is a drive through window and not fast food per se...even as we all know that the calorie, fat, and sodium content of the typical fast food fare is off the charts. Try these things: Subway, alternative burgers, and more. I have, and I am losing the weight steadily while doing so.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Phil, I bet you may actually be addicted. It's not that hard...

A few years ago, I fought mightily to give up the bad fast foods - burgers, pizza, taco bell, etc. It wasn't easy, and I fell off the wagon quite often. But I got better at it. I found if I made the stuff myself, I could make it MY way, and have ultimate control over everything. That helped. A lot.

At the start of this year, I gave up diet sodas. I really don't much care for full-sugar sodas, but I could drink 2L of diet soda, and not blink an eye. That was even harder than fast food!!! OMG!!! But I'm free of them, for the most part, 7 months later.

This spring, I had to drive 400 miles to my grandmother's funeral. I was driving in a hurry, and twice I pulled over at McDonald's on the ride there. I thought I was gonna puke. Their burgers tasted like greasy cardboard. No meat flavor, no cheese flavor, no wheat flavor, just salt and sugar and fat flavors. It was disgusting. NSV!!! By the time I finished my trip, I started getting this sense of, "I think I may just stop off on the ride home for a few more..." That was it!!! NO MORE!!! I didn't care if it meant going hungry, I was NOT going to start up that destructive habit again!

So yeah, Phil. I can see where you might actually have bodily cravings for those darned things. And OP? Go as cold turkey as you humanly can. If you fall of the wagon, don't sweat it. Brush yourself off and climb back on. But don't give up. You, and your body, deserve better.

I hope this helps.
  • dub73
    dub73 Posts: 70
    Options
    You may want to opt for kid's meals....
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If its the ease and convenience, perhaps pack some great tasting bars or shakes. I'm loving the Oh Yeah brands lately. Hard to find in stores but on amazon.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was also a fast food addict. Going cold turkey helped. Also, thinking about the junk that is in that food helps me to avoid it. I am cutting back drastically on eating out and take out and that hopefully will help, too!

Cheers!

mdp:flowerforyou:
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same problem. I find that making similiar meals at home is healthier, tastier, and cheaper...i.e. I can make a damn good plate of enchiladas with less than 300 calories per enchilada (and about $7 in ingredients for a plate of twelve), while Taco Bell's will set me back almost three bucks and 500 calories! :laugh:

Temptation sucks...I am fighting it everyday. It's hard when you work and socialize with people who are addicts too and eat Pizza Hut most nights, lol. You can do it though...you are stronger than you think you are! :flowerforyou:
  • AliB118
    AliB118 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way.

It's not even really the taste of the food, it's the convenience.

I work long hours and by the time I get on my way home, I'm exhausted and the last thing I want to do is cook. So, to the drive-thru I go. Sometimes I can control myself and order something reasonable, but the temptation is there and I do given in, a lot. *sigh*