Low impact exercise ideas anyone?

Options
I know I really need to join a gym so i can get to an elliptical trainer, problem is i'm a student and so cant afford gym fees,

also I have arthritis and so high impact exercise like running is no good for me either, :S

So does anyone have any ideas for very low impact exercise that I can do at home/cheaply and will still cut significantly into my binges? How many calories can you burn on yoga or pilates for example? Or how much walking would I need to do for it to be useful? My binges tend to be about 500 cals.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Are you an university/college student? A lot of schools have gyms that are free for students to use.

What about access to a pool? Swimming is a great low-impact exercise.

Keep in mind that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise... have you considered working on stopping the binges?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Simple walking may be your best bet. It is free and can actually burn quite a few calories if you can dedicate the time to it. As a student, I'd imagine you experience a lot of stress from school. So, walking may also be great to just let you mind wonder for a while.

A VERY popular low impact exercise is swimming. It does wonders for the body and is the go-to exercise suggestion by most medical personnel for people with joint issues.

Additionally, cycling could also fill your requirement.

In the end, whatever you choose, you have to enjoy it. If you do not, you won't keep up with it. If you hate jogging but like walking, you'll burn MORE calories in the long run by walking than you would jogging. Simply because you'll make it part of your life and not something that just needs to be done.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you weigh, say for example walking very low impact but at a speed of 4.0 a person that weighs 180lbs burns about 420 cals per hour. If you do this for about 1 hr and 20 min you will be up to about 500 per hr. If you do this everyday for 7 days, you are burning a pound a week! Good luck.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I know I really need to join a gym so i can get to an elliptical trainer, problem is i'm a student and so cant afford gym fees,

also I have arthritis and so high impact exercise like running is no good for me either, :S

So does anyone have any ideas for very low impact exercise that I can do at home/cheaply and will still cut significantly into my binges? How many calories can you burn on yoga or pilates for example? Or how much walking would I need to do for it to be useful? My binges tend to be about 500 cals.

Cheapest best workout for home...push up, squats, jump squats, pull ups (with door attachment). That's all you need, or ad a couple of dumb bells or elastic bands.
  • cawmacomber
    Options
    Pool exercises work great for those with joint/arthritis issues. My mom has really bad arthritis and joint issues in her knees and ankles, she went to a low-impact pool class for a few weeks and managed to relieve a lot of pain and lost over 14 lbs.

I have seen local public schools, public pools and hospital rehabilitation centers offer classes that span anywhere from a few weeks to non-stop for reasonable costs (especially for residents in the area). Some programs will give you a choice of daily fees (for each time you go) or membership fees.

If you live near a lake, you can also try that in lieu of a pool for exercising in. You only need to be waist high in the water. Some simple dance moves in the water is a good start.

Walking is also good, as it won't have the forceful impact on the joints like jogging or running would. Also, if you try cycling, rehab centers prefer the reclined cycle for joints versus upright.

The library is a great source for all kinds of exercise books & videos. You can borrow them for free and create your own exercise routine to follow.

As for the snacks...I found the best way to cure binges is not to buy it and supplement with something else (veggies, popcorn, sleep, read, exercise...). Try to put the money you would binge with in a jar or a separate bank account for an upcoming exercise class or your next pair of pants or something goal oriented.

Good Luck!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Tony Little's Total Body Circuit. It's no impact, lifting with light weights.
  • soaringlikeaneagle70
    soaringlikeaneagle70 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

• jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    try Leslie Sansone's walk at home videos. They are cheap (walmart, target, etc.) easy to follow, you don't need a lot of space and you get a great low impact exercise. Start by doing a mile walk and gradually go up from there. Perfect for everyone and so much fun
  • ali117
    ali117 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1/2 hour walking at a good moderate pace burns about 220 cal.
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys, some real good ideas that I'm totally going to use here! :)

Especially the walking and walking DVD, my wrists are just no good at all for weight lifting unfortunately :S I'm destined to have puny arms for life lol! :S I did think of swimming but pushing my wrists through the water is just too painful, maybe treading water? :)

Ta everyone! :)
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    About the swimming: there's an odd exercise I've picked up from Japanese friends - hopping into a deep pool and simply walking from end to end. The water both supports and resists your body, so it's gentle on the knees and tough on the core. You can use your arms to help push or to pull you along a lane-divider but it's hard work, definitely counts as exercise.

If you can tread water for more than 5 minutes straight, I have MAD RESPECT for your survival skills!