50 yrs old to lose 80 lbs. +

Options
Hi; I’m G-Maw and I'm a 50 year old wife of 31 years, mother of 2, mother in law of 1, and grandmother of 1. I'm only 5 feet tall and I have at least 80 lbs to lose. I'm an apple shape so basically right now I'm a big round ball on two legs with arms. It's so uncomfortable. I've been struggling a long time to change my lifestyle but I won't give up. Here I am to try again. Could use a couple of buddies who are similar and are going through the same struggles as me. Let me know if you're interested and I'll friend you. I know we can do it ... they say it's easier if you don't go it alone. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• gmaw0362
    gmaw0362 Posts: 7
    Options
    Is there anyone out there for me???
    1290.jpg
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm here for you! Friend me if you'd like. I'm 50, married 30 years, 3 girls, 2 cats and a cute pup. :wink:
  • LFlower1981
    LFlower1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Will be 49 this year with over 100 lbs to lose. Been married 31 years. Have 3 daughters. Been on several programs but am determined to make it work this time. We can do it together!
  • mat0424
    mat0424 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    over 50...100 to lose, 2 kids, 30 years with my wonderful hubby!
    LET"S DO THIS!!!!
  • irivas1
    irivas1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 55 years old and fit the physical profile you described. I have been following the MFP program since July 4, and it has been quite a struggle. I have also lost 5 pounds and that has been a plus! I have deviated from the plan once in a while, however; I am true to the journaling process. It is helping me understand my eating style, my emotive eating patterns, and has aided me in changing my food choices.

I did make a point to visit my doctor. Presently, I am working with a "life coach" who has helped me set goals and is available by phone; if I have any questions or if the struggle becomes too difficult.

So, I would like to journey on this path to better health with you.:happy:
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi G-maw!

I will be 50 in November and am on my way down the scale. I've lost 65lbs to date (since March) and have another 65 to go! Let's do this thing!

What's your biggest struggle? Bad food choices? Dislike of exercise?

Looking forward to working together on this.
  • tlh523
    tlh523 Posts: 8
    Options
    I started my journey 18 months ago. Don't get frustrated, keep going one step at a time. You will have setbacks, but if you keep at it you can go it. I lost most of my weight over a 7 - 8 month windows....I have maintaining it so far, but every day is a struggle....Keep up the good work :)
  • gmaw0362
    Options
    My biggest struggle right now is getting moving. I'm so tired all the time. Started some supplements and trying to boost my iron ... more energy will be great. I love to hike normally but I've put on so much weight and am so sluggish that I have to force myself through the days. I'm sure once I get moving it will all fall into place. I've joined an aqua-fit class so it won't hurt my joints too much at first.
    Hi G-maw!

I will be 50 in November and am on my way down the scale. I've lost 65lbs to date (since March) and have another 65 to go! Let's do this thing!

What's your biggest struggle? Bad food choices? Dislike of exercise?

Looking forward to working together on this.
  • gmaw0362
    Options
    Thank you all for the invites and the words of encouragement. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. :happy:
  • Candeesfitnesspal
    Options
    Hi,
    I am also 50 years old and would like to lose 100 lbs . Married, 2 grown sons , 2 granddaughters:)
    Today is my very first day using My Fitness Pal and still learning my way around the site and so far I like what I've seen!
    I know this is going to be tough because lets face it food taste good!
    Who knows maybe if we all stick together we can lose this weight.!!

Good Luck!!
  • fay1958
    fay1958 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am a 54 year mother of two grown up lads. i have about 70 lbs to lose. Been following mfp for about ten weeks now and have so far lost 26lbs. My husband is also doing mfp but very hard when men get higher allowances than us women. He sits there with a beer when we go out and i do the driving so am on diet coke or lemonade just to stay within my limits. How annoying is that!!
    I have made a promise to climb a 43 foot climbing wall with my husbands grandson when we all go on holiday in october this year and a promise is a promise.!!!
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow baby boomers. I am 58 and just joined this and recently been on this "lifestyle change" to get off my tonage as well. I'm down some, but long way to go.
    But WE CAN DO IT. We know it is much harder at our age, but we have the knowlege, wisdom, determination and know how that this skinny little kids don't......
    Let's Get Going. Good luck to us all
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Great! You are already making some positive changes by joining the aquafit class! I had to take drastic measures with my eating and found a naturopathic physician that helped me learn how to nourish my bad self. After so many years of being on diets and trying every diet fad (remember the Beverly Hills Diet anyone?!), I felt like I lost my way. Carbs good? bad? I wasn't sure any more.

Seeing the naturopathic physician helped me focus on health first--and the weight loss followed.

I did baby steps with fitness--apparently I'm a natural born slacker. So, I forced myself each day (only since the beginning of this month to be honest) to do something. And while I'm sore, I do feel like each little bit helps.

I love aqua-anything!
  • acamp35
    acamp35 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am 49 with 2 daughters and a grandbaby. was off the wagon for a while but got back on about 3 months ago, and have lost 28 lbs so far. You can do it, feel free to friend me. I have about another 60 to go!! Know exactly where your at!! Keep at it, we can all do it.... one day at a time. :flowerforyou:
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am 55 with over 100 to lose. Married 34 yrs, 5 grown kids, 1 granddaughter. Sounds like we're in this together.
    Anyone can friend me for support.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I've been here since January and.....IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! I'm 52, married 29 years in August with 3 boys and 1 daughter-in-law-to-be! It's amazing that when you start to lose you want to be more active. Start slow if it hurts, aquasize is perfect! I lost my first 20 just logging and not intentionaly adding any excercise. I still don't have a routine, but I make more of an effort to go out and do something. It's just more fun to not be huffing and puffing! I've lost almost 34 with about 30 more to go. Friend away!!!
  • cynma
    cynma Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi G-Maw, I am 55 and looking for support to help me keep off my weight. I am looking to support other people too. I read you like to hike but find it difficult. After breaking my ankle and after it was better I took up Nordic walking or also known as pole walking. Later on I broke the same foot and just went back to it. It might be something you might want to try. It would help give you support and burns alot of calories. It is a full body workout. Check it out on the web. Oh I am Canadian. Friend me if you would like to support each other. Good luck on your weightloss journey. Cynma
  • 2big4menow
    Options
    Pushing 50...104lbs heavier that I was when i married 10yrs ago....of course he said I was waaaaaaaaaay too thin even back then (wut a sweetheart), still would like to lose 60-70 lbs. we can all do this!!!
  • nana6380__Chris
    nana6380__Chris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me..I am 47 with 3 children and 7 grandkids. I have lost 30 lbs since May 16. It is hard but it can be done.
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I lost 30 lbs. last summer, then started some old habits and regained 6 lbs. I managed to get 2 of those off, but for months no further weight loss (a stinking plateau!). :frown: You can friend me. I would like to be a part of the support group of 50+ year olds.