I know this has probably been asked a million times...

Options
But I'm so confused about the calorie deficit?

I have been eating back some of the calories I burn and I lost four pounds last week.

I want to make sure I'm following it right and doing it healthy.

You are supposed to eat back a little bit of your calories you gain from exercise is that correct?

I would really appreciate if someone could explain the concept :), I really want to be losing weight in a healthy manner.

Please and thank you :)

Replies

• chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yeah, MFP tends to over estimate on cals burned, so unless I am going by my HRM I only eat back about half of the cals MFP says I burned... Also if this is only your first couple weeks, there is a good chance you will lose more than you normally would because you are losing water weight along with fat....
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Seems some people on here do, and others don't..it's whatever works for you. Most days I don't because I haven't been hungry.
  • Lubu781
    Lubu781 Posts: 3
    Options
    Figure out what your BMR is.(Basal metabolic rate) The rate at which you burn calories at rest. Just eat under that total number. You also create the deficit by weight training or cardio.
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Eating back some of your calories IS healthy. You can actually eat back all of your calories if you feel like it. Just remember, never let your net calories fall below 1200. Hope that helps!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    I don't know its pretty divided. some say it it all back some don't. I don't, I have a good fat supply. I have something before and after to fuel the workout. But all my calories go to 1500. the way I see it, what is the point of burning 2 or 3 hundred calories to go and stuff your face. If you are an athlete then yes eat all the calories and work out. Just me , do what works for you, if you feel hungry eat some back if not then don't. I worked out at 6;00 pm tonight and then ate my reg. dinner but I have calories left because of the exercise. no more food for me I plan on going to bed at 9. hope this helps.
  • jayraycee
    jayraycee Posts: 33
    Options
    I do not each back any exercise calories, I exercise to help me lose weight and build endurance/strength, not so I can eat more.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat back some of your calories. I personally don't unless I'm really hungry. I also eat a little bit more than most people on this site (that I've seen, like compared to my friends for example). I eat 1700 calories a day, and usually I'll burn like 300 a day, so that would put me at 1400 calories net, and I'm happy with that because it's not too low or too high. It's really up to you and how your body feels. If you have any questions about calories or whatever you can message me if you want! :) Basically, I say if you're hungry eat, if not don't eat them back. :)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Well, if you knew exactly what you burned then you could eat them all back I suppose, but if ur using MFP, the burn is probably off. You can eat some of them back if u want..
    I personally dont eat back any of my exercise cals, but I also don't go by the goals MFP set for me either. I set my own.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If we're just talking about numbers though... and you DON'T eat back calories, you will have a larger deficit because of more calories burned (either by your normal deficit, or burned by exercise) you SHOULD lose weight faster. 3500 calories = 1 pound, so you SHOULD lose weight faster if you DON'T eat them back. But that's if we're just talking numbers. Everyone's body is different and responds different.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back all of my exercise calories. Before I had an HRM, I just ate some. I eat my exercise calories to fuel my body, so that I can have awesome workouts and to try to keep as much lean muscle mass as possible along the way. I want to lose fat, not muscle. I don't eat them just to "stuff my face". That was kind of rude.
  • sunnybug90
    sunnybug90 Posts: 58
    Options
    Yeah I thought it was too but oh well.

I'm not asking so I can go "Yay I can eat MORE food"

I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I've been through the ringer with dangerous diets and I've also battled an eating disorder. I just want to do it right this time. I was just generally curious about how the calorie deficit worked and if you ate some back if you still lose weight.

This is my first time trying to lose weight in a healthy way.

Thanks for the advice guys :) Its really helpful
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options

You are supposed to eat back a little bit of your calories you gain from exercise is that correct?
    I don't, but it's a personal preference. There's a lot of debate over this issue...I'd just say do whatever works for you. Good luck :)
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    ok i see you have a good body, please give one good advice, ok i have to eat 1300 calories, usually i eat aroun less than 800 calories, and i really eat good stuff veggies fruits meat etc. and im not hungry. less than 10 days i lost 7 pounds, i walk 60 min 4.0 one hour doing basketball hoops (in the gym).... i used to work a lot with machines, but i dont want to. so do basketball hoops. what did you think? my weight is 204 and i would like to loseweight more faster, please im doing wrong?should i eat the calories that i burn too? or i just eat under my calories? please help me!! THIS IS FOR LUBUS 781!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat some back. If I'm not, I don't. The thing to remember is...the goal set is already creating a deficit for you. So if you eat them back, you're still at a deficit. If you don't, you're at more of a deficit. The one thing I don't believe in is the Starvation mode if you're low a few days. I don't have the appetite to eat a ton of food. I also have enough energy with what I'm doing to keep working out without issues. I do know that it took a long time of not eating much for me to be negatively impacted in the least and I had stress at the same time. I tried to force myself to eat more and felt miserable.

I hit around 1200-1400 calories, sometimes a touch more (though net less on some days due to exercise.) I've lost only 11 lbs in 90 days. I've lost over 3 inches in my abdomen and an inch to two inches everywhere else. I don't try to limit what my calories are to hit 1200, just that naturally I'm eating when hungry and stopping when I'm not hungry. I'm trying to learn better choices.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of my exercise calories; at least enough to net 1200 calories per day. The idea behind this (and some people promote this and others claim it's hogwash) is that the average body needs at least 1200 calories a day to keep vital organs functioning. To eat under 1200 for an extended period may do damage to the body.

Just something to think about.