I need help! Low Calorie Diet? No Carb?

Options
I AM MOTIVATED TO LOSE WEIGHT!!
I am 23, Female, 360lbs roughly.
BMI of 58 says I can eat around 1900-2500 calories.

Here's the thing, I want to lose a substantial amount of weight before making that life long change of eating THIS many calories and exercising.

I hear people who are morbidly obese do a liquid diet low calorie for about a month or less. Can anyone recommend something like this?

I WAS 380 but I have been doing a low carb diet but I know that its not something I can live with for the rest of my life. I love pasta and breaded chicken with broccoli in it LOL also I hear it doesn't last and the weight comes back easily. And gout scares me.

My other problem with sticking to a diet is cooking. Does anyone follow a low calorie diet (1500-1800) with either something they can cook in the microwave or something easy like that? I would love a simple routine. I'm the type to get up for work and get ready in 5 minutes and I'm out the door. I'm lazy and play video games.

I am reading all this stuff online and it's all so confusing. My main goal is to reach 300 (roughly 60lbs) as fast as possible. (liquid diet) and then make my life changes from there.

Please give me the advice I need.. I have little friends who know what I am going through. I would love to just be a size 18 again..

Replies

• schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    hello!! I started at 274. it took a couple of months for me to figure it out, but, I would suggest changing your eating habits first. I know people say that all the time, but, I realize NOW how important it is. Once you start eating more fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and complex vs simple carbs, and forcus your diet on those, doing a reduced (NOT LOW) calorie diet/lifestyle is easy. Losing weight becomes a breeze, it just happens. because after time, you begin liking and craving the healthier food - your tastes change.

I can't stand fast food anymore. the thought of it makes me want to gag. I am sure, likely, sitting your chair, starting the journey, this may sound strange, BUT i can assure you, if you take the time to focus 80% on healthier foods all the time (with an occassional treat), you'll find you start craving the better stuff.

anyhow - once you start liking the good stuff, not really wanting the bad stuff as much (took me a good 2 months to reach that point), then it makes it easy to lose weight, because the foods you like are naturally lower in calories, so you just end up eating 'normally' I'm down 40 lbs, and it feels like I haven't been on a diet at all for the past 2 months. I just make a conscious choice on my foods to stay within a calorie range. i.e., I choose from a wide variety of foods that I LOVE, that are lower calorie, so it's SO easy.

Tonight, dinner was Apple Pie Oatmeal: oats, apple sauce, cinnamon and brown sugar. less than 300 calories for a FULL bowl. Tastes like warm apple pie, ain't missing a darn thing :)

Tomorrow night I'll have pizza (a lower calorie version) I use a flat bread, lots of sauce, REAL pepperoni, and a mix of Fat free and part skim mozzerella. I actually prefer the way it tastes, and can have a LARGE portion for 500 ish calories (less than 2 pieces of regular pizza fits that bill.

I have mexican at least every other week, pizza at least once a week, I have a egg/cheese breakfast sandwich almost EVERY morning for breakfast, I NEVER go hungry - well - i never HAVE to anyhow :) sometimes i do because I don't plan well and run out of time or rush around, but I never have to go hungry.

Up until recently, i would go out for mexican or have a 'high' calorie day, and find myself thinking "oh, I need to diet" and then I remember "oh, wait - I AM dieting !" :) tee hee....
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own frozen meals and freeze for quick re-heat and eat?

Schedule yourself a few hours on a day off and cook. Chop veggies, cook meat, cook pasta, sauces, etc and portion out into containers and freeze. Than you can just grab and throw into your lunch bag for work or just pop in the microave when you get home. The frozen meals you can buy int he store are easy and quick but they are loaded will sodium which can hurt your weight loss journey.

Doing a liquid diet for a month or a few weeks may not be something you can stick to. It's hard and you get cravings and you need to have a lot of determination and motivation. You can try doing a liquid meal for a meal a day. I do them when I am working in the mornings... the night before (or in the morning since it only takes a minute) I blend up some water, frozen fruit, yogurt and protein powder... put that in a little travel cup and pop in the fridge (or just put it in my lunch bag and bring to work with me if I make it in the morning). I than drink it at my desk while I go through my bit of paperwork. I don't and wouldn't do it for all meals everyday for a long period of time though.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    agree with this too - liquid diets are --- so not worth it. There's so many reasons why I think that - and I've done medifast, I lost like 30 pounds on it i think (or less even) before I threw in the towel. Gained all the weight back and then some.

doing this way, I have been watching calories, focusing on healthier foods, and went on vacation for a week. No access to scales, exercise equipment, food logging tools or internet. I ate meals with everyone else and stressed beyond belief when I got back home to get on the scale. I DID NOT GAIN A POUND. I actually think I lost .5 had I been on a liquid diet, or very low carb diet and been thrown into that situation - I can't imagine how much damage it would have been.

There's other reasons - i just shudder when I think about those liquid diets anymore.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My diet may be different from yours, because I have PCOS. However, my roommate adopted my diet (mostly) and it has been effective for her too (not as effective-- she's not as committed).

I try to live by substitution. Whole wheat instead of white breads and pastas. Low fat cheese instead of full-fat. Reduced sugar peanut butter. Two vegetables for dinner instead of a vegetable and a starch (if I really need a starch, I will buy veggie pasta and get a serving of vegetables with my starch).

Flavored water (5 calories) instead of soda. No alcohol (it interacts with my meds, but it's also just empty calories). No soda or tea if you must use sugar to sweeten it.

I used to eat fast food every day, sometimes for every meal, but I cook everything at home and log it. My worst at home is usually still better than my best when going out to eat.

You will develop a taste for better foods. The first few weeks suck, but after that, you'll be fine. Right now I have chocolate bars, pop-tarts, chewy chocolate chip cookies, chips, and other bad things at my house (my husband eats that stuff for lunch). I don't even have an inkling of desire to eat it. If I ever do, I have a frozen bar of chocolate in the freezer that I break a few squares off of and suck on. It's about 100 calories.

So yes, I do substitution, and I feel it's pretty sustainable. I don't "avoid" all carbs, but I try to stay around 115 a day (because of my insulin resistance). I do have a couple slices of whole wheat bread every day. It has not sabotaged me. All the other carbs are usually from veggies. I don't eat many fruits.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I AM MOTIVATED TO LOSE WEIGHT!!
    I am 23, Female, 360lbs roughly.
    BMI of 58 says I can eat around 1900-2500 calories.

Here's the thing, I want to lose a substantial amount of weight before making that life long change of eating THIS many calories and exercising.

I hear people who are morbidly obese do a liquid diet low calorie for about a month or less. Can anyone recommend something like this?

I WAS 380 but I have been doing a low carb diet but I know that its not something I can live with for the rest of my life. I love pasta and breaded chicken with broccoli in it LOL also I hear it doesn't last and the weight comes back easily. And gout scares me.

My other problem with sticking to a diet is cooking. Does anyone follow a low calorie diet (1500-1800) with either something they can cook in the microwave or something easy like that? I would love a simple routine. I'm the type to get up for work and get ready in 5 minutes and I'm out the door. I'm lazy and play video games.

I am reading all this stuff online and it's all so confusing. My main goal is to reach 300 (roughly 60lbs) as fast as possible. (liquid diet) and then make my life changes from there.

Please give me the advice I need.. I have little friends who know what I am going through. I would love to just be a size 18 again..

what's your thing about carbs? why are they so terrible? Liquid diet? eeeek. Why put yourself through that? If you want simple, something you can cook in the microwave then get a bunch of lean cuisines or healthy choices. I wouldn't eat them for every meal of the day, but one a day isn't too bad on the sodium if you keep the rest of your day low.

Edit: Actually, I'm a microwave type of gal also, BUT I love cooking just not on the week days. Quick and easy. Buy a bunch of chicken breasts, cook them however you want on the weekend, then freeze them. Heat them up whenever you want. Pair it with veggies or whatever
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My advice - don't try to do a fast liquid or any other kind of diet. Just start today eating your calories. I'd set them for what MFP recommends for a 2 lb per week loss. My guess if you go on a liquid or other fad diet at first - when you start eating healthy again you could easily gain some of the weight and get discouraged. The weight didn't go on over night - who cares if it takes a few extra months to come off. The longer you are on this lifestyle of healthy eating the less you will crave the carbs.

Here's to your success! You can do this!
  • tralain37
    tralain37 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the liquid diets, even for most people who may need to lose a lot of weight. I also don't like the idea of "low carb" diets since almost all the evidence really points to cutting down calories to more appropriate level, but keeping a good balance of proteins, fats, and carbs. Don't cut calories too low, or else you end up too hungry and end up eating more. Under eating leads to over eating. With a fair amount of weight to lose, your 1800-2000 calories sounds pretty good. One of the best things I ever heard was that the best weight loss program doesn't leave you hungry. An RD can help as well, even one appt with a registered dietician could be very helpful. I hope these are useful comments.
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is to make sure you are eating healthy...clean eating. If you don't know how. Google. Basically it is eating whole foods. It will feel like school but knowledge is your friend. put everything you eat into your food diary. Don't drink your calories. I started reading Bob Harper (from the biggest Loser) his book "the Skinny Rules" and he makes it very simple and has some great recipes. You don't need to eat salad to lose weight! there are lots of great foods out there to eat! Ask lots of questions. I like Tosca Reno's books as well she is full of information about clean eating. you want to be able to read the ingredients.
    A great support team is always nice! I would love to support you in your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Eat carbs. Just eat good carbs. Whole grains, lots of veggies and fruit. If it doesn't have fiber, don't eat it. Stay within your calories and focus on protein.

F all that noise about a liquid diet. There is absolutely no reason to starve.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Hezz
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    People on MFP generally shy away from the get skinny quick schemes.

When you are seriously ready to lose weight, make a new thread asking about details for a workable, livable, diet and exercise program that will yield life long results.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Whoa....here's something I learned along this path...

We like what we like and we eat what we eat. Before you start throwing food that you love away think this through. Before you start a liquid diet (not sustainable) or change your entire diet (it will make you sick), here's what I did.

You will probably want to give up (for a little while) potatoes, rice, white bread, chips, cake, and anything else that contains sugars, starches and creamy yummy goodness.

Pick your favorite vegetables and know their serving sizes and calorie counts.

Chicken, steak and fish will be your friends.

Now...here's what I did on a 1,200 net calorie life change (exercise more to eat more) and my husband did on a cut down plan (no exercise):

SERVING SIZES ONLY!!!

My husband has lost 51 pounds in the past 4 months and I've lost 100 pounds in 11 months.

You will be amazed at the results you will see, you won't be hungry and you will feel better in 2 weeks.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was initially 380 pounds and I ate 1800 calories for the majority of my journey and execised 3-4 days per week. Doing that i actually lost over 110 pounds in about 18 months...I dont consider 1800 calories low cal dieting. But I think it is much more sustainable. I did use things like microwavable meals in the beginning but found once i lost a certain amount of weight that I really had to cut out the processed foods to get the scales moving again. Also while i lost 110 pounds in a relatively short time...to lose my entire 186 pounds to date has taken me nearly 6 years.
  • Disneymale5000
    Disneymale5000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all I don't trust low cab diets for losing weight. They have already proven that the most fit people in the world also eat the MOST carbs. That tells me something. That being said, all I can tell you is what works for me. I went to a calorie calculator website (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) to find out how many calories I should be eating. It gave me three numbers. For maintaining my weight, losing weight, and EXTREME weight loss. Then I use this website to help me stay within my goals. I do occasionally get off track but I get right back on. I have also recently purchased a Nutribullet to help me get the nutrients I need. I also try to walk daily although I haven't walked for almost a month due to the hot weather. But when I do I eat back the calories burned from my walks. I use the Runtastic app on my smartphone to track my walks as well as track calories burned (I have found that the goals this site gives you are a bit off.). I try to eat healthier but basically I eat what I want but just stay within my goals and spread my calories throughout the day so I don't get hungry. I lost 24 pounds so far just by doing these things. Hope this helps!! :happy:
  • Boomer1628
    Boomer1628 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kalleykill - What ever you do to find your pace - do it just for today . . . let tomorrow take care of itself. I started at 370 lbs in January, and have faithfully recorded every bite since . . but just one day at a time. I sit now at 275, 5 lbs away from my first major goal, and ready to finish today . . tomorrow will be another today.

Good luck - we are all out here, ready to cheer your todays.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My advice - don't try to do a fast liquid or any other kind of diet. Just start today eating your calories. I'd set them for what MFP recommends for a 2 lb per week loss. My guess if you go on a liquid or other fad diet at first - when you start eating healthy again you could easily gain some of the weight and get discouraged. The weight didn't go on over night - who cares if it takes a few extra months to come off. The longer you are on this lifestyle of healthy eating the less you will crave the carbs.

Here's to your success! You can do this!

I think this is great advice.

Just start out by eating smaller portions of the foods you like, add in as many extra fruit and veggies (more veggies than fruit) as you can and eat the calories that MFP recommends.
    And start some kind of exercise - ANY exercise. Walk on the spot during TV commercials or walk for 5 mins away from your house then 5 mins back again. Or dance like a silly thing.... or play Wii..... anything that gets you off the couch and moving for a few minutes at a time is a great start.

Good luck!
  • neverlost
    neverlost Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send me a message or a friend request. I have been where you are and have lost 80 lbs in the last 6 months. I have to run to work now but I can give you some advice privately tonight if you want. I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Liquid and other VLCD diets give fast results over a short period, 6-8 weeks. They are appropriate for your level of obesity with medical consent so talk to the doctor. The advantage of them is that they are nutritionally complete so you don't go short of anything. An example of their use is at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm which set out to reduce obesity with a quick weight loss in order to improve diabetes.

At the end of the 6-8 weeks you would need to plan to increase calories in steps towards a sustainable eating level for the long haul.

You'll hear lots of fairy stories about muscles loss and "gaining it all back in a flash" but the evidence is that these are effective tools for doing what you want to do - a quick reduction to get you started.
  • rhondagraymond
    Options
    Please do NOT consider a liquid diet. It is NOT healthy and not advisable. It could affect your health adversely and if anything, it is through THIS diet that your weight would bounce right back. And I’m really sorry to say, but you’re looking at this all wrong. I understand your desire to lose weight but please understand that you can’t possibly go on a liquid diet (how is that even sustainable?), lose weight ‘fast’ and THEN make life changes? If you want to lose weight- do it right. Through a steady, balanced, nutritious diet that will help you lose the weight and keep it off as well. I lost 43 pounds on the Dukan diet (low carb, high protein diet). The website has plenty low carb diet ideas (http://www.dukandiet.com/) so I’d advise you to take a look at it. I ate all kinds of lean meat, chicken, fish, eggs, tofu, fresh fruits and vegetables and lost my weight the right way. I’ve managed to keep the weight off and if you were wondering, I DID feel full all the time. It was NOT hard and I never felt like I was on a ‘diet’, so to speak.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy and play video games.

THIS is what you need to address... not neccessarily the video games part, but the laziness... weightloss and a healthy lifestyle requires a LOT of hard work not just shortcuts with shakes and microwave meals!