can someone help?

Options
I have been looking around for a polar heart rate monitor. There are so many in the market and not sure what is the best one for me? my spending limit is about 100 dollars. and i want to use it with some dvd..cardo, treadmill, elliptical, ect...

Any advice to which one suit me best?
Polar f1, f2, f3, f6, f11....not sure - confused.

Thanks.

Replies

• ZeldaCat
    Options
    I just got the Polar F7 on eBay for $99.00 brand new in packaging - check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLAR-F7-HEART-RATE-MONITOR-BLUE-FREE-PRIORITY-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ220520435570QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33580acf72

Pretty sweet deal for a great device!
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    ok. Thanks:happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love my F6. From what I hear the difference between f4 and f6 is the F6 blocks out other transmitters. So if you go to a gym, the F6 is the minimum polar to use.

I had to replace my chest band because I did not realize the one I bought cannot have the battery replaced. I just paid 51 for a new chest strap made with material............LOVE it! ( I have had it 1.5 yrs and logged thousands of miles, got my monies worth!)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I just got the Polar F7 on eBay for $99.00 brand new in packaging - check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLAR-F7-HEART-RATE-MONITOR-BLUE-FREE-PRIORITY-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ220520435570QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33580acf72

Pretty sweet deal for a great device!

that one looks good!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have a P6 and love it. The P11 is more advanced than most people would need for casual exercise. But it does come with the full elastic chest strap with only a little square of plastic in the front rather than the strap that goes all the way across the strap. The strap is no big deal, more like a luxury :) if you have the money for it upgrade, but you don't need it. I would recommend the P6. You will have to send it in to have the battery replaced, or get a new strap, but they are supposed to last about 2 years. I think it has to do with it being waterproof.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sorry subing for a question. Can you wear your HRM all day to log how many calories your body is burning on a dialy basis or only when you work out. On the biggest loser they were those things on their upper arms is that a HRM or something else?
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I've had an F6 for 6+ months & LOVE IT! It has great features including coded transmitter-must if u use at gym-tracks all sessions, can be synced to computer to save weekly data, is waterproof-I've swam w/it on--and is sturdy -I've even worn it while doing home remodeling. It's been very reliable & consistent and is easy to operate-only has 4 buttons.
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options
    Sorry subing for a question. Can you wear your HRM all day to log how many calories your body is burning on a dialy basis or only when you work out. On the biggest loser they were those things on their upper arms is that a HRM or something else?

Yes. I wore mine for a couple days straight just so see how accurate my daily calorie goal was. Learn how much you burn sleeping, sitting around etc. it's not comfortable enough for me to want to wear it all the time, but if you want to be SUPER accurate with your cals, you can put it on and just sort of eat as you go.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Yes. I wore mine for a couple days straight just so see how accurate my daily calorie goal was. Learn how much you burn sleeping, sitting around etc. it's not comfortable enough for me to want to wear it all the time, but if you want to be SUPER accurate with your cals, you can put it on and just sort of eat as you go.

Only problem I had is during sleep you move a lot and I think it turned off sometime during the night.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

What they wear is a Body Bug, which is around $500 and is more sophisticated. The F6 is pretty accurate for what I need.

I wore it during 3 hours of normal, work at home, activity just to see what I burn on average. It was around 90 cals an hour, sitting, walking to the bathroom, doing dishes and eating lunch.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yeah $500 is definitely out of my price range LOL. I feel bad spending $80-$100 on myself let alone that much!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thank you! Yeah $500 is definitely out of my price range LOL. I feel bad spending $80-$100 on myself let alone that much!

And I have experienced both...........and love the F6. :heart:
  • twilight1542
    Options

Only problem I had is during sleep you move a lot and I think it turned off sometime during the night.

I tried that too w/no luck :( I think it's mostly b/c chest straps require perspiration (eg damp skin) to get an accurate reading--that's why the manual says to wet the sensors if it's not getting & reading. We're a lot less likely to perspire while sleeping because of inactivity!
  • robixqueen
    Options
    Have you tried Craigslist or try Target. They have good prices on them (polar heart rate monitors) maybe even better than walmart. I live in Texas. Just getting started. I hope to be a new me by next year. Val (deep in the heart of Texas).
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone:flowerforyou: . I have not bought one yet...still looking for the right one or price...:happy:
  • MisdemeanorM
    Options

I tried that too w/no luck :( I think it's mostly b/c chest straps require perspiration (eg damp skin) to get an accurate reading--that's why the manual says to wet the sensors if it's not getting & reading. We're a lot less likely to perspire while sleeping because of inactivity!

But your heart rate and calories burned don't change much at all during the night, so if you can get in a 1 - 2 period stretch with the HRM on it can give you an idea of the night overall and what you burn sleeping. My problem with sleeping in it would be - when you put the watch by the chest strap it beeps and shows the time - that kept waking me up! I'm a very light sleeper!
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    thanks everyone for your responces:flowerforyou: :heart: . I bought the polar f6 black diamond from Amazon. I have a 50 dollor instance saving if i used my amazon credit card...so it was 92 dollar with free shipping..plus the 50 instance saving..so i bought it for 42 dollars...i am so happy! can't wait to get it...:blushing: :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

But your heart rate and calories burned don't change much at all during the night, so if you can get in a 1 - 2 period stretch with the HRM on it can give you an idea of the night overall and what you burn sleeping. My problem with sleeping in it would be - when you put the watch by the chest strap it beeps and shows the time - that kept waking me up! I'm a very light sleeper!

you can turn the sound off on the F6.........I imagine you can do that on any HRM.

I had the hardest time because I hate anything around my chest. I pull my stupid bra off as I enter the house.......WATCHOUT>..........:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    thanks everyone for your responces:flowerforyou: :heart: . I bought the polar f6 black diamond from Amazon. I have a 50 dollor instance saving if i used my amazon credit card...so it was 92 dollar with free shipping..plus the 50 instance saving..so i bought it for 42 dollars...i am so happy! can't wait to get it...:blushing: :happy:

Oh that ROCKS!! You will have to let us know how you like it!!

WOOT!! that is so cool! I really love mine.......or can you tell?? :laugh:
  • Positively_Me
    Options

Oh that ROCKS!! You will have to let us know how you like it!!

WOOT!! that is so cool! I really love mine.......or can you tell?? :laugh:

will do :wink: Thanks for all your help:flowerforyou: