How do I know how many calories I burned?

Options
okay, so I'm 100% MFP uses the system where it calculates how much you weigh and how long you've worked out to see how much you've burned.. the elliptical took my weight and says I burned 431 but MFP says 834 and there's another website called healthstatus.com and they're saying I burned 1,075.... I don't know which one to use.

Replies

• mizkitty22
    mizkitty22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with MFP. Unless you're well over 200 pounds, you will most likely not burn over a 1000 calories. How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?
  • Tanisha1014
    Options
    Yea I actually weigh 250.
  • CassieD2008
    CassieD2008 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! You should get a heart rate monitor with a fitness watch. It will calculate calories by your weight/age/height and heart rate when you are working out. I've found that when I'm using my HRM that it's pretty close to the treadmill. The elliptical is way off for me for some reason? You can buy them at a local Best Buy store or somewhere where they sell fitness training equipment. Hope that helps :)
  • jaysayres
    jaysayres Posts: 15
    Options
    I have the same issue when I use the eliptical but i use the amount shown on the machine. MFP has no way of knowing speed or resistance setting. I think the calculator on the machines would be the most accurate.
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Look into getting a heart rate monitor but until then just go with what MFP says. Alot of people say that MFP over calculates but I found for me when I got my HRM it under calculated.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    if you can get a HRM with the watch and chest strap
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    A HRM is your best bet.
    I'm 270-272 and I burn about 500-600 calories on the elliptical for an hour, if you want to guestimate.

The machine is usually 100-200 calories over than what my watch says.
  • Moonlitedi
    Moonlitedi Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would create a new exercise and add whatever the machine you are using says. MFP is not always accurate so best to go by what the machine you are using at that time says.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Good question.

My answer is - and some might poke at me for this but..... I dont even care HOW many calories I burn.

I am doing things now I never did before, moving my body in ways I havent done in years. I am just happy to be getting out there, getting in some cardio, some exercise, some sports.

I just go by whatever I calculate on MFP cause I dont really care. Im sure eventually I will.... but right now I dont.
  • yogagirl1111
    yogagirl1111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You have a to a hrm. I was having the same problem and once I got my hrm and compared to what the machine's numbers are, my hrm numbers are always lower. I recommend polar ft4 and if you don't get this one, make sure you get one with a chest strap as they are more accurate than just the watch.