Plateau

Options
So I am on week 2 of seriously trying to loose weight. I am under my calorie goal by 200-400 a day, but some days I go over on Sugar or fat. Last week I dropped from 158.9 to 154.4. This week I am working so hard, buring almost 900 calories/day through ex resize. Today when I weighed in, I was at 155 again. Is this normal? If not what am I doing wrong, or what should I do?

Replies

• SC74
    SC74 Posts: 33
    Options
    First thing is DON'T get discouraged. Second, ideally, you want to hit your calorie goal as close as possible so that your body does not enter starvation mode, which prevents weight loss. Third, take a look at the types of foods you're eating. I don't know your diet but I can advise you that it's best to have lots of fiber, protein and water and less of the sugars and fat. I'm happy to take a look at your food diary if you'd like. You seem to be working impressively hard-- keep it up!!
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    make sure you eat all your daily cals, its important to fuel your body for all the cals your burning. 0.6 of am lb could be anything, easy for me to say I know but keep up the hard work and next week will pay off!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    You lost quite a bit the first week. Good for you! That little blip is not really a gain this week. Relax, this requires patience and time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Totally normal- when you first start a diet you lose water weight, and then move on to actual weight loss, which is slower. It's very unlikely you're in a plateau in week two, and the bump from 154.4 to 155 is a normal fluctuation- our weight goes up and down on a daily basis mostly from water. At this point, you should make sure you get enough protein, eat your calories, and stick with your program. The most important thing to do at the beginning of your weight loss is learning how to make better choices and getting active- new habits take 3 or 4 weeks to stick. Lasting weight loss takes time. A true plateau is several weeks to months long- you're definitely not there yet- I promise!
  • zeratul1080
    zeratul1080 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a plateau, not on your 2nd week, it's obvious that the 1st weeks loss, while very encouraging, was mostly water weight, cause if you were at a deficit of 200-400 for the 1st week, you should have lost 1 lbs.

Maybe you just had a salty meal the previous day. being 1.5lbs off from where you should be is not much... because so many variables come into play, measuring only weight isn't reliable for measuring progress.

Try measuring your waist / neck / hips and using it in conjunction for measuring progress.

Most importantly, have patience, losing weight and keeping it off takes time. Sometimes you gotta hang tough. Throw in another week of hard work, and dare the scale not to move, you DARE it!!!