Italy- What do I eat while on this diet?

Options
c4297
c4297 Posts: 33 Member
Not sure and want to stick to this!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    What?
  • c4297
    Options
    what do I eat while in Italy? lots of heavy foods and I want to make sure I am not gaining a lot of weight
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If I was going to Italy the last thing I would worry about is trying to stick to a diet. There is such amazing food and awesome things to try. You'll be walking around alot so you'll burn it off anyway..
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever sounds good and plan to exercise/walk around a ton each day. Watch your portions and you'll be fine. Whenever I go to Europe, I'm always pleasantly surprised by how a lot of people seem to be in if not good, then decent shape (right now I live in the midwest) and yet don't from what I can tell seem to be working so hard at it. Different cultures I guess.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Tons of Italian food is not heavy, as in the alfredo-y cheesy stuff we are used to in Americano Italian food. What region are you going to? It makes a difference in the kind of foods they offer. My dad lived in Italy so my mom cooked a lot of Italian food. Not one thing she made contained cream or mozzerella.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The true Italian diet (non-Americanized) is actually quite healthy. There are lots of salads and fresh vegetables, desserts are usually some sort of fruit and nuts, olive oil is used more often than butter, and cheese is used pretty sparingly. Pasta is served in way smaller portions than here. Even real pizza is much different over there.

If you are going to restaurants, try to stick to the local favorite places where you see more native townspeople, and (mostly) stay away from touristy restaurants. That should help quite a bit.
  • c4297
    Options
    I will be in Rome! Thank you very much everyone! Much to think about in a good way:) good luck on your weight loss journies!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Ah that is a different region than where my dad lived. My most favorite thing ever is Ragu alla Bolognese, which is a Northern dish and a million times better than the "Spaghetti Bolognese" we get here.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Rome is actually a very pasta heavy city, but they serve a fair share of of beef, fish and lamb dishes. You won't find much chicken or rather, it's not what they're known for at all.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    As somebody who lived in Italy, as long as you're not being chauffeured around, eat whatever you wish (in moderation ofcourse). I can almost guarantee you that unless you're stuffing your face with sweet or overeating "because you're on vacation" you will still lose weight
  • Greyhorserider
    Greyhorserider Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been to Rome twice. As you will be walking, walking, walking, you should not worry too much. Climb Capitoline hill and you will get a workout! Plus the view of the forum is wonderful. Pasta servings are a serving not the mega calorie bowls we have here. Pizzas are individual, but thinner crust and very splitable. Split a primi (first course, sometimes pasta, sometimes other things) and a secondi (meat, fish) with a traveling companion. My husband and I split all the time. Add a salad - you will not find ranch or other dressings anyways, just oil and vinegar - don't ask for american style dressing. Or add another contorni, (side dish - veggie) I do remember fresh veggie and fruit stands (I spent more time in Venice though and they were plentiful.) Buy a few pieces for the day. Or find a grocery store and buy your own picnic fixings. Panini's can be found as only vegetarian options or with meat. There too, they are not huge footlong grinders we have here. I found the portions much more reasonable (unless you end up in a tourist trap. Prices may be another story!) Gelato is made with less butterfat (4-5% compared to 16% of most American ice creams)- indulge if you like ice cream because it is the best in the world and not to be missed (in my opinion.) Walk, walk - drink lots of water. Not sure if it still holds true but I used to take my empty water bottle and refill at all the public water fountains that are scattered around the city. The water was the best. And free. And I hope still safe to drink. (It was in 2006.)

I eat when in Italy - and I always lose weight or break even.

Have a wonderful time. Rome is one of my favorite cities in the world. Buon viaggio!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I work in an authentic Italian restaurant & I find that most of the foods are actually healthy & mostly seafood based. Even the gelatos (Italian ice cream) have lower calorie than regular ice creams.

You'll be there to enjoy the scenery, ambiance & of course the food trip so definitely you have every reason to do so. As long as you keep on logging your food & eating everything in moderation, you will be able to satisfy your taste buds & enjoy everything without feel guilty.
  • c4297
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your answers! so helpful and reassuring!:DD