I am now an Iron Girl

Options
I started my journey on April 1st 2012. My friend and Cousin asked if I would join her doing the Iron Girl Triathlon and I agreed to do so. I started eating healthy using MFP and training all the time. The day finally came this past Sunday. I did the tri and must say I am very proud of my self. I finished #266 out of 500 women and out of my division of women age 35 - 39 I finished #50 out of 91 women. My swim time for 1/4 mile was 9min 49sec, bike for 17miles was 57min and run for 3 miles was 43min. I really kicked butt on the swim and bike and the run sucked but I will keep at it and get better. I feel like I am on cloud 9. I have another race this Saturday and a 14ner to climb on Aug 11th. This is a way of life. I still have 25lbs to lose but did lose 20lbs over the past 4month while training. My hopes are to inspire other to live healthy life styles too. Thanks for reading. If I knew how to post pictures I would but I don't sorry.

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    thats so amazing! good for you!!
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! congrads. i've never heard of the iron girl triathalon. I'm doing the spartan in a month and a half - i'm so nervous!
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    GREAT job! A Tri is one of my goals - this is super inspiring.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! I would be on cloud 9, too!!
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    congratulations!! that is a BIG deal!! nice job!
  • michellepierce1
    Options
    the Iron Girl takes place in several states every year. Its pretty big event. By the way don't be nervous. When the race starts all the nervousness goes out the window. Just have fun, thats what its all about. FUN
  • lyndime
    lyndime Posts: 6
    Options
    So AWESOME!!! An accomplishment to be proud of. I love to TRI!!!!
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Awesome, congrats!!!!!
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations--that's fantastic! My 3 close friends did Iron Girl in Atlanta this past May and have talked me into doing it next May. I think I'll do pretty well on the bike and run--it's the swim that scares me. It is in a big (choppy) lake and they said it was a nightmare with everything hitting and kicking them! I'm looking forward to it though! PS--my girlfriend who did it for the first time got the car sticker, a shirt and an awesome hat. I will be getting all that too--ha ha!
  • michellepierce1
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies.
  • uzygirl
    uzygirl Posts: 13
    Options
    Good job. Keep it up. Remember, you may think your time with running sucked but i think that time is a good time.
  • turbogirl4christ
    Options
    thats awesome!!! way to go!!! I now have a new goal!! thanks for posting :)
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    That is freaking awesome!!! Well done!
  • michellepierce1
    Options
    yippie good to hear that other have done it too. Congrats to you for next year. All the training was so much fun and rewarding. The run I a challenge for me. I just have such a hard time with it. The swim is much easier for me but yes, I had 91 women start at the same time as me in the water but I did not get hit or kicked but it was still harder to swim with that many people around me. Good luck.
  • michellepierce1
    Options
    thanks, it usually takes me 35 min but after the swim and bike ride I was just worn out. I ran today and was working on speeding up a little. I think I might join some running clinics to improved my skills.
  • Cappicorn
    Cappicorn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Holy moly, you conquered a triathlon! That is AMAZING!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Awesome congratz on finishing your tri ... they do become addicting... I am planning on doing a half ironman next summer and full ironman in 2014 ... long way to go on training but great motivation to keep working out ....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/88-triathletes-duathletes

good group to join if you plan on doing more tri's

Connie
  • vapreppy
    vapreppy Posts: 5
    Options
    Love success stories. kudos to you! always wanted to give tri's a try:)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! Congratulations, and welcome to the triathlon club! It's a pretty addictive sport, for sure.

There are some good triathlon groups worth joining. Lots of tips and ideas and just people checking in with their races and training. Hopefully we'll see you around there soon.

Again, congratulations! This is exciting and inspiring to read.

TriJoe.
  • mjrnner
    mjrnner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! What a great accomplishment - you DID smoke the swim and bike!

I am doing the one in Syracuse on 8/5!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!