Running - Sore knees

So i have been running for about a year now doing anything from 3 - 5 miles 3 times a a week and have never had a problems in relation to sore feet / aching muscles etc. However in the last week i have i started to feel a bit of an ache in my knees. Is this normal and will it pass?

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    when's the last time you bought new running shoes?
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member

This first, and if so then rest a week if need be. Ice and NSAIDS>
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member

If I suffer from shin splints and the occassional sore knee, where is the best place to get shoes?
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Think about what may have changed...

New routes, increased frequency, significant change in diet, change in pace, new trainers (or as Ladymuscles hints at) old trainers.

The pain has a cause, if you can identify the cause you may be able to eliminate it permanently. If not it may go away on it's own, but something that goes away on it's own can easily come back on it's own.
  • brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    where is the pain in your knee?? outside joint pain? Back of knee(popliteal space), knee cap? is there pain when you're walking down the stairs?
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member

If I suffer from shin splints and the occassional sore knee, where is the best place to get shoes?

Pick a local running shop (not a "sports/fashion" shop). Ask them for advice, take your current trainers with you. They will probably want to take a look at them and assess your running style (gait) on a treadmill.
  • kells1970
    kells1970 Posts: 29
    I dont have proper running shoes as such. I am on my second pair of Rebok Easytone trainers and although i have never had a problem with these trainers i think its maybe time to get a good proper pair of running shoes. Also the last few weeks i have increased my distance slightly so maybe this is why also. Thanks everyone/
  • brett1117
    where is the pain??
  • kells1970
    Its in the kneecap.
  • brett1117
    called "runner's knee" make sure you stretch out your hamstrings and calves before and after running. Do exercise to strengthen your quads. ICE and anti-inflammatory. New running shoes too! MAYBE take a week or 2 off from running. As always consult a physician if pain does not go away.
  • kells1970
    Thank you Brett1117
  • Juliedungca
    Juliedungca Posts: 22 Member
    I have this issue now too :( My problem? I kept going..... i ran the longest I had ever run two weekends ago.. every day that weekend. Middle of the day Sunday.. i suddenly felt a pain in my kneecap.. by end of day, I had a limp. I thought I could just shake it off.
    Not so much!
    My trainer has banned me from boot camp because I kept going back and refused to stay out of high impact stuff. I am banned for two weeks to let it heal.
    Thank GOD this happened now that I am a pound UNDER my goal weight or I would have died. I still, kinda feel like I might..... I feel SO lazy.

PLEASE HEAL KNEE!!!