The scale says I gained since last night!!

Options
WTF! Scale says I gained two pounds since last night, even though I have been WELL under my cal goal and working out still every day! Grrr....and today at work I was tightening my scrubs and realized they were as tight as they would go and they weren't squeezing my abdomen...I know I've lost...what is going on? Muscle? Did I just lose water weight? (I do not measure myself, just weigh.)

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    it's not muscle in two days
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    WTF! Scale says I gained two pounds since last night, even though I have been WELL under my cal goal and working out still every day! Grrr....and today at work I was tightening my scrubs and realized they were as tight as they would go and they weren't squeezing my abdomen...I know I've lost...what is going on? Muscle? Did I just lose water weight? (I do not measure myself, just weigh.)

Bodyweight naturally varies hugely, weighing in at the same time each day or taking an average is a better guide.

To be honest weighing daily is overdoing it, jump on weekly and take some measurements is my best advice.

Too much exercise will also hinder weight loss, strange but true, that old devil cortisol ...
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options

I can't imagine it's fat in one night, either....do you have a more helpful answer? :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options

I can't imagine it's fat in one night, either....do you have a more helpful answer? :)

yes

what he said above. your weight fluctuates throughout the day for different reasons. stop weighing everyday you are gonna freak yourself out.

plus, if your clothes are tighter it's not muscle, your clothes would be looser because although muscle weighs the same as fat it takes up a lot less space.
  • Cindi_Rella1
    Cindi_Rella1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sodium? Hydration? I even read that muscle soreness will cause a change in weight...just some things to consider. Hope it helps.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options

yes

what he said above. your weight fluctuates throughout the day for different reasons. stop weighing everyday you are gonna freak yourself out.

plus, if your clothes are tighter it's not muscle, your clothes would be looser because although muscle weighs the same as fat it takes up a lot less space.

I worded that wrong. My clothes are loose, not tight. As in, as tight as I can get the pull string on my pants, its still loose.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    the scale is a funny thing....i can make it go up six pounds in two days, then back down six pounds in two days.. you will get to know your body.. mine is all water retention
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    How WELL under your calories are you eating? You want to eat at your calories, not dramatically under. You may night be eating enough. And all kinds of things can affect a gain. Your TOM approaching, too much sodium with no enough water, just anything. Don't weigh everyday. Try to limit to once a week.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    its water or food. no worries it will go away as nature intended :P
  • ifyouwanttosingout
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. I 'gained' and 'lost' 7 lbs in one week. Mine was due to my monthly visitor, ha. Trust your scale once a week versus once a day as it tends to fluctuate in general for various reasons.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are loose, then don't worry what the scale says. Everyone's weight fluctuates through the week, even during the day it can change. Weighing yourself every day can and will drive you crazy. And taking measurements are a good idea too, because you can lose inches and your weight not change.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Get away from the scale. Once to twice a week at most. You need to stay away from it.
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    Thanks for the help, friends! I feel much better actually :)
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    time to poop :)
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You eat a lot of Little Caesars and their food is loaded in sodium. Lots of sodium in your diet can cause water retention, which can cause a gain on the scale.
  • rottiegirl22
    rottiegirl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the mighty period. Not sure how long you've been monitoring, but about 2 or 3 months into exercising I noticed a significant decrease in how many pounds I gain right before and during my period that magically fell off the following week. Now it's no more than a pound or two difference, but initially it was up there in the 5-6 pound range.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    Weight fluctuates quite a bit I get mad when I see that too, but I know that I'm eating healthy and not over eating, so I don't worry. Are you drinking enough water? Too little could be the problem of water retention.
  • litespeed6
    Options
    More than likely you gained water. If you ate foods with some salt you could have retained water. In the end you will it will all balance out. The scales do not tell it all.

Keep drinking water as it will reduce calorie intake. Measurements of waist, hips, etc will drop if you are losing fat.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    I know it's hard but, don't weigh yourself every day. Your weight will fluctuate based on different things like water intake or depending on how late you ate the night before, etc. It's best to have a set weigh in day and do so at the same time (morning is best, before eating breakfast) every week to get accurate results. Otherwise you're just obsessing and not focusing on how great you feel. If you can tell you're losing then focus on that not the silly scale :)
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Definitely way too much sodium in your diet. Turn on that tracker!

Also, when you work out, your muscles retain more water.

SO, too much sodium + working out = fluid retention/weight gain.

THIS, and your weight fluctuates daily. Trust me.