Hi! Just joined today - would love support

Options
Hi I'm Kelli ;) I am a military wife and have struggled with weight for so many years. I have lost 38 total now but am struggling for my last few so I decided to join here and keep an online food diary ;) I would love to meet everyone and connect so that together we can accomplish our goals. Anyone want to be friends?

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sending a request now :)
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! Way to go! You can add me if you like. : )
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome - happy to support you
    Jan
  • calalily063
    Options
    Are you here for support or to sell whatever it is you are selling?
  • Bravyn
    Bravyn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I'm always here to give support. :D
  • tralain37
    tralain37 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just joined today, and I know there is value in not doing this alone. I'm glad to be a supportive friend and hope you will do the same for me! Welcome!
  • isaconnection
    Options
    Support ;) I am stuck with just a few pounds left to lose and don't wait to gain any of it back. I have been overweight for years and the emotional toll it took on me was horrible. I have helped many through their own journey yes but I still have my own too. I know that everyday I have to watch what I eat and track or the weight will come back. I can't ever go there again ;(
  • LilD1esel
    LilD1esel Posts: 9
    Options
    Good for you! You've done great, and I know you will continue to do well. This is a wonderful website with plenty of others to provide you with support. :smile:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You have the motivationa and the determination and that's half the battle really. Congrats on what you've done so far! You will get to where you want and it's people like you who are achieving their goals that make me more positive that I can. Feel free to add me if you want! :-)
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm here every day (unless I'm on vacation) :) Although I have much more than a "few' lbs left to lose, like yourself , I like all the support I can get :) Good luck!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    You can feel free to add me also. I'm on here every day! Just can't get enough of this site!
  • colleentrt
    colleentrt Posts: 10
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm on most days however I struggle with the weekends and sometimes miss. Its a great site and it helps keep me motivated!
  • isaconnection
    Options
    The weekends are the worst for me too!
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I love this site. Congrats on your 38 lbs loss, that is a MAJOR accomplishment. Feel free to add me :-)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Support ;) I am stuck with just a few pounds left to lose and don't wait to gain any of it back. I have been overweight for years and the emotional toll it took on me was horrible. I have helped many through their own journey yes but I still have my own too. I know that everyday I have to watch what I eat and track or the weight will come back. I can't ever go there again ;(

It doesn't say that on your profile, though...it's one big ad on your profile page...
  • SherryGbaby
    Options
    Hi there! Would love to be friends!
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck! I love MFP...its a great place to be dieting..thats for sure!
  • isaconnection
    Options
    Oh I am sorry - I thought I shared that in my bio. My amazing group of friends who are losing weight with me keep me on track and now I am almost to my goal weight and want to make sure I stay healthy and fit for a lifetime. It is such a daily journey ;) Every meal matters. I have been so overweight before. I am really short - only 5'2 with the slowest metabolism on the planet (
  • fnostro
    fnostro Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey All,

Not sure how much incentive this will be but...here it goes...

I'm a 304lb, 6'2", 43 year old guy that has never been one for diet or exercise. Still not.
    I grew up in a family where meal portions were never exactly normal.

But I've always felt that losing weight is just a matter of portion control and calorie control.
    And this site is going a long way to prove that to me, and in just only a few weeks.

So I set up my account, but having no scale, I had to guesstimate my initial weight at 300 pounds. I then started looking for a scale. Do you know how many home scales are available that go up that high? None. Or at least no inexpensive ones. But I needed a scale and since I had to spend extra money on it, it certainly was not going to be one that has a margin of error...as much as 2 to 3% of your actual weight. Home scales are off by that much on any given reading and when your measuring weight loss in terms of 1 or 2 pounds a week, that margin is HUGE.

So since I needed a scale, and since it was going to be a small investment, I decided to buy a doctor's scale. Detecto Model 439. Best $160 I've ever spent. Not only is it far more accurate, it provides some serious incentive. Staring at that thing daily keeps you honest.

So after setting up the scale, my actual weigh-in was 307 lbs - this was on 7/11. I set up my profile to lose 2 pounds a week with a sedentary lifestyle. This site said was allowed 1950 calories per day. And today, after about 2 weeks, I weighed in at 303. I was floored. I did a happy dance. I got on the scale again. I did another happy dance. You get the idea.

Just to be clear, I absolutely do not consider this dieting. I consider it a lifestyle change. I don't eat diet foods (I'm a firm believer that anything that has multi-syllabic ingredients is bad for you), I don't exercise any more than my casual day calls for in terms of walking around the office or running errands. But I do eat good food. I'm just as happy eating a bowl of baby carrots as a chicken parm sandwhich.

The only difference now is that I'll eat a smaller portion...and TRACK IT here. This site is great for that. I strictly adhered to the 1950 cal/day limit,,,mostly...I did slip a couple of days by a few hundred calories. It's amazing how much extra we eat per day if we don't actively make a record of it. It's even more amazing how many calories some foods contain. Wasabi almonds...really?!...wow!

It's amazing how quickly my calorie allowance, while generous at 1950, quickly approaches zero. So to be able to eat more food, I drink only assorted types of zero calorie vitamin waters, regular water, or tea with natural cane or raw sugar - no "sweeteners". That's a huge daily savings there. They taste far better than "diet" soft drinks and are at least beneficial.

As I said I am not concerned with "heathy" at the moment. By my thinking, simply losing weight is healthy enough for now. I'll work on lazy later. Based on what I've read on healthy weight loss, and what I've now seen in my whole 3 weeks of keeping a food diary, is that establishing a food processing metabolism is very, very key.

This site is working for me. Combined with the phone app I've no doubt I'll continue to lose weight. That UPC code scanner on the app is an amazingly useful tool.

Best of luck with your weight loss
    --Frank
  • Tishia11
    Tishia11 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Add me!