ADDICTED TO THE SCALE

Options
I do not feel complete until I weigh myself in the morning. This morning I had a 2 lb weight gain. I know you should not weigh yourself daily, but I can't stay away from the scale! Any advice?! I feel like I need the encouragement of a weight loss in teh morning to get me going!

Replies

• kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ummm... give the scale to someone you see once a week?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    '

^^ this ^^
  • Officialas
    Officialas Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is probably extreme but i lock my scales in the boot of my dad's car, which he keeps parked across the road of my house, and that controls me from at least weighing in too often... until i run across the road at 11PM just to get them out to weigh in in the morning hahaha. Bottom line, get them out of the house (give to a friend or, like mentioned, someone you only see weekly?) :)
  • NeverGoingToQuit
    NeverGoingToQuit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I get on the scale every morning. Sometimes in the middle of the day and at night too (just to check haha). I just had to realize not to let the numbers discourage me. If its up slightly it could be just water weight. It also makes me workout harder knowing it will go down eventually!
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You know what the problem is, so how about do something about it =]
  • thinsoundsgood
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday. It became obsessive. Give it up, the number of on the scale does not defy your weight loss. The way you feel, how your clothes fit. That's what you should be focusing on!
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't weigh myself when I started my new weight loss challenge...and now I could kick myself! I don't have an accurate account of how much I have really lost. :( I try to weigh myself once a week, and always get a little nervous...I, too, thought about giving my scale to someone else and just taking it back once a week...I am trying to do this in a healthy way and don't want to become obsessed with the numbers...but I do find myself checking in various times during the week...just out of curiosity!
  • eventualrecovery
    Options
    If you live with someone else, you can ask them to hide it until it's time to weigh in! Don't get too obsessed with those numbers, though. They don't measure your worth <3 Be careful. Weighing every day is dangerous.
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    Hubby hid my scale from me and allows me to weigh in as frequently as once a week.....I was a DAILY and a lot of times daily multiple weigher and it brought me down.....
  • Nicolle71
    Nicolle71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning right after I get up and go to the restroom. I am not addicted to the scale I use it to figure out what is working for me ie: exercise, diet on a day to day basis. I feel if you want to weigh yourself everysingle day that is your purogative but don't use the number to torment yourself. I wish you the best of luck :)
  • jasbookworm
    jasbookworm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about every time you gain a lbs because in a few days it is gonna go right back down. I check my weight while I am working out and I see my weight go down! It is rewarding until you gain. And when that happens I tell myself to check in a few days and see what it says. If it's still the same... wait a little more... still? Then you need to see what you're doing wrong.
  • jonesy1028
    jonesy1028 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I would weigh myself ALLLLL the time. It made me miserable. I threw out my scale and now if I want to know where I stand, I have to go to the gym to find out. It's my crazy little reward for getting there.
    Weighing too often can sabotage you. So many things factor into your weight on a daily basis: water weight, last nights dinner, and some other less polite things to mention here ;)
    Like diet and exercise, take control of your need to get on that scale too much. It will only pull you down!
  • santi251
    santi251 Posts: 47
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday. It became obsessive. Give it up, the number of on the scale does not defy your weight loss. The way you feel, how your clothes fit. That's what you should be focusing on!

I totlaly agree. I weigh myself at work daily and it's horrible b/c sometimes I lose/gain weight. But the way my clothes fit! It shows me that I'm making progress so BUMP THE SCALE! :wink:
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    I have the same problem, I have to weight myself almost every morning after I go to the bathroom to see what the damage is LOL!!!
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options

wow, now that is good advice! The scale drives me nuts :laugh:
  • MyHighestPraise
    MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just used this phrase today in an earlier post: I weigh every day, but I don't get upset with the fluctuations. I know that will happen. I'm looking at the over all trends. More like the stock market.

Your daily fluctuations are normal, what are your trends? I look at that to see if I have picked up some new thing I like to eat or habit that is detrimental and I can catch the impact early on.

Just remember to not get emotional over daily changes and look at a bigger picture of what your weight is doing.

Catherine
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I took the batteries out of mine and gave them to my trainer... I was weighing in 2-3 times a day and having lots of anxiety over it. Now I weigh in once a week with him. It's way more satisfying to see 2 lbs on the scale over just an ounce or 3 anyway.
  • JPFleming77
    JPFleming77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most morning after I use the restroom. I wiegh myself at work everyday. I wouldnt say that I am addicted to the scale. Everybody has their own way of doing things and if you feel that the scale is hindering you throw it out. Personally i <3 my scale (at least the one at work)!
  • Becky3701
    Becky3701 Posts: 49
    Options
    This is probably extreme but i lock my scales in the boot of my dad's car, which he keeps parked across the road of my house, and that controls me from at least weighing in too often... until i run across the road at 11PM just to get them out to weigh in in the morning hahaha. Bottom line, get them out of the house (give to a friend or, like mentioned, someone you only see weekly?) :)
    ^^^^
    I think this is a great idea- in the car or a weekly visit at a friends house. I'm guilty of weighing
    Myself everyday.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday normally I don't care. Just log in in the morning and move along.