Need sweet potato recipes!

Options
zaithyr
zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
I love to eat sweet potatoes but honestly I don't know very many good ways to eat them aside from baking them and eating them like a baked potato. Anyone have any good ways of cooking them or good recipes that include sweet potato? Thanks!

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I cut a couple up in chunks... Red onion also chunked... Can pineapple chunks (no juice)... Drizzle with italian dressing... Bake at 350ish for 40ish min (til as soft as you want it)....
  • Sweetsys
    Sweetsys Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is a great simple one.

Peel sweet potatoes and cut in 1" chunks, take apples (what ever kind you like) and cut a little larger than the sweet potatoes. Set oven at 400 degrees. Toss with a little nutmeg, cinnamon & Splenda Brown Sugar. Toss in a little olive oil and roast for about 35-40 minutes. Everytime I make this and we have company people ask for the recipe.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries

I cut them into strips and put in a large bowl
    Toss with olive oil and seasoning of your choice: I always use an italian blend with a touch of salt and pepper.
    Adding a little parmesan cheese makes them extra good.

Lay them on a baking sheet and bake on 350-375 about 30 minutes or until the outside is crispy or to your desired liking.
  • tari12340
    tari12340 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • javalika
    javalika Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Home
    About
    FAQ
    Recipe Index
    Contact
    As Featured In
    My Pantry

Vegetable Tian

by Pam on February 14, 2009

This is a recipe I adapted from one I found in “Barefoot in Paris”. We had friends over for dinner so I served this Vegetable Tian and it was a HUGE hit. The veggies were perfectly roasted, the potatoes were nice and tender and the caramelized onions were sweet and salty. The whole dish was delicious and it looked really pretty too. All of my friends loved these roasted vegetables and so did most of the kids. I am looking forward to making this again and again. I served this dish alongside the Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic and they paired nicely together.
    •2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
    •1 large sweet yellow onion cut in half and sliced
    •2 cloves of garlic, minced
    •1-2 russet potatoes, unpeeled
    •1 zucchini
    •1 yellow squash
    •3 large Roma tomatoes
    •Sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
    •Dried thyme, to taste
    •1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 60 seconds. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the greased baking dish.

Slice the potatoes, zucchini, squash and tomatoes in 1/4 inch thick slices. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them tightly into a spiral, making only one layer. Season with sea salt, black pepper and dried thyme, to taste. Drizzle the last tablespoon of olive oil over the top.

Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Uncover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until browned. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

This i on pinterest, I copied and pasted, came out awesome and really pretty.
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries

I cut them into strips and put in a large bowl
    Toss with olive oil and seasoning of your choice: I always use an italian blend with a touch of salt and pepper.
    Adding a little parmesan cheese makes them extra good.

Lay them on a baking sheet and bake on 350-375 about 30 minutes or until the outside is crispy or to your desired liking.

Same directions except hubby and I love them with cajun seasoning! For an extra spicy kick use creole seasoning.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is an insanely delicious sweet potato recipe. I make it all the time for Christmas and Thanksgiving...

http://www.marthastewart.com/317532/sweet-potato-and-sage-butter-casserole

I've played around with the amount of butter it calls for and used 2% instead of whole milk to improve the total calories and it's still quite yummy.
  • stennieh
    stennieh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My favorite is baked with a dollop of non-fat greek yogurt! Fitness Magazine has a great sweet potato and pork chili that I love!

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/sweet-potato-and-pork-chili
  • mfoutch86
    mfoutch86 Posts: 87
    Options
    We eat a ton of sweet potatos! They go with everything, sweet, spicy, creamy etc.

http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2010/3/27/simplicity.html sweet potato bake. cut into rounds and then. really good!

http://dlynz.com/?p=2353 crash sweet potatos. i use just a smidge of oil to get them crispy.

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/02/chorizo-sweet-potato-enchiladas-908.html i use soy-rizo from trader joes
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I also cut into wedges, toss with a little olive oil and bake - I don't even season them most the time, they don't need it. Or I dip in a low fat ranch.

I also cut into 1" chunks, microwave for 3 minutes, then sprinkle with a little brown sugar and bake or broil for a few minutes... you can top with a mini-marshmallow or too - they aren't overly high in calories (just sugar!)
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe this past weekend...it was fabulous and extremely healthy and low cal, even for enchiladas. I am not affiliated with this blog, Im just posting the recipe from the site if you are interested...I added up all the ingredients and it came out to under 200 cals a serving.
    http://www.joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/2012/05/recipe-stacked-roasted-vegetable.html
  • workoutbarbie29
    workoutbarbie29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the recipes!! My mouth is definitely watering now lol