toning and strngth training

Options
snelfk
snelfk Posts: 151 Member
So, yesterday I posted the question: If I have lost 20 lbs, how come I haven't changed pants size. One reply was right on target, these pants didn't really fit very well, I just refused to buy a bigger size..

More than one reply suggested toning. So my question is, are toning and strength training the same? And what should I do? Let me say that I really hate crunches, and some part of my neck or back always hurts afterward. I have a 4 lb weighted hula hoop that I use for 20 minutes 3 times a week - does this count? Thanks

Replies

• snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So, yesterday I posted the question: If I have lost 20 lbs, how come I haven't changed pants size. One reply was right on target, these pants didn't really fit very well, I just refused to buy a bigger size..

More than one reply suggested toning. So my question is, are toning and strength training the same? And what should I do? Let me say that I really hate crunches, and some part of my neck or back always hurts afterward. I have a 4 lb weighted hula hoop that I use for 20 minutes 3 times a week - does this count? Thanks
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think "tonight" and "strength training" can be used interchangeably, but I always think of "toning" more along the lines of exercises that just use your own body weight for resistance.

Also, you could be losing your weight in other places, and it just hasn't trickled down and around to pants size territory.

A good "toning" series of exercises could be pilates. The Winsor Pilates DVDs are very good. I also love a book called "The Pilates Body" by Brooke Siler. It has complete explanations of all the pilates mat exercises, and designates moves as beginner, intermediate, advanced and very advanced. The moves would strengthen your back muscles and your core, without adding bulk.

:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Toning and strength training are the same. Some people like to think of toning, makes them feel better. I like to think I'm getting stronger.
    Hula hoop counts - anything that helps counts in my book.

I hate crunches too. I like them on the exercise ball though. I also like boat pose (yoga) - making a "V" with your torso and legs while balancing on your butt. Side crunches are nice - standing with weights in either hand. There are a ton of core workouts that don't use crunches.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I think "tonight" and "strength training" can be used interchangeably,

I think you work out too much.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think "tonight" and "strength training" can be used interchangeably,

I think you work out too much.

Bleearrgh. I'm blaming the antihistamines.:tongue:
  • pamschwab3
    pamschwab3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Toning and strength training are very similar, but there is a small difference in my way of thinking. Strength training is usually lifting more weight for fewer reps to get stronger and build muscle. Toning is lifting lighter weight with more reps to "tone" and tighten the muscles. You also have to be careful about what types of exercises you do. Some of them work your short twitch muscles and those ones are the kind that "bulk" you up more instead of lengthening the muscles. I am no expert by any means, but I read a lot of fitness mags, so correct me if I'm wrong.
  • hallusmc
    hallusmc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A quick - REALLY effective workout is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I did it for one week (had to take this week off) but will be back on next week - my husband said he could see a difference after about 5 days (nothing like a pants size, but could tell subtle things). One thing that I like is she isn't as "cheesy" as some of the other people on DVDs. I think it is a great buy!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion but I think of toning up as a result of strength training... does that make since?

You can strength train to build muscle or just to simply tone up. Typically when you want to tone up you use low weights with more reps. And if you want to build muscle then you use higher weights with fewer reps. You can also not use "weights" at all and simply do resistance training (your own body weight) to tone up muscle. This would require exercises like squats, lunges, pelvic lifts, calf raises, etc.

A website that has some excellent exercises (geared a lot for women) is www.fitnessmagazine.com.

Lastly, to help with the lower back/neck pain from crunches - you might want to invest in an exercise ball to do your abs exercises on. This really takes a lot of pressure off the back/neck in general.

Strength training in general is a great to do... whether you are building, toning, or maintaining. It keeps you strong, lean, and healthier all together. Plus, it increases your metabolism. You can do it!!! :wink:

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou: