Prom

Options
Hi guys im really new here and just wanted to say whats been on my chest. I am super chubby for my age and height and I know all my friends and family love me for who I am I just want to be able to look in my mirror and be able to tell myself that i am beautiful. I have about 10 months till my senior prom. Kinda a big deal. I want to loose about 85 pounds by then. i just got a gym membership and have been trying to eat healthier. Its hard. Really hard. But I know i can do it if i try hard enough. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice or anything really. I know this is going to be a long and hard journey but i can do it.

Replies

• georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You've got the right attitude and have come to the right place! Just track everything you eat. Cut back on fast foods and do a bit of exercise and you WILL lose weight!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I know it's very hard, but I believe in you! Think of how amazing you will feel! You've GOT this!
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just remember to eat enough. Do not starve your body. Fuel it. Work out hard. Stick to your guns. And most importantly, do it for yourself and you will succeed. Congrats to you for taking control of your life while you are still young. I have a neice who is 19. She has lost 58 pounds since January and is doing great. She eats healthy and works out regularly. You can do it. Just be patient and keep at it. If you have a bad day, don't beat yourself up. Just get back on track the next day.
  • skinnyforseptember
    Options
    My prom's coming up soon, too :D
    The only advice I think I can give you would be to drink water like mad! A lot of the time, when you feel like you're hungry, you're actually thirsty.
    If you're not into the bland taste, throw some crystal light/no sugar kool-aid in, to pep it up!

Oh, and walking is an awesome and easy way to burn some calories. 10 minutes of just walking at a moderate pace will burn about 90-100 cal.

Best of Luck!
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this! I'm a personal trainer and one of my clients is just 14 and she's lost about 35 pounds so far with about 15 more to go. It's totally changing her life to finally lose this weight! I've given her the guidance, but she does the work - she keeps track of her calories and does her workouts on the days I don't see her. There's no magic - that's all you have to do.

The best advice I can give you is to set a reasonable calorie goal and don't go over or under it and make sure you exercise 3-4 times a week. Don't go crazy with it - you don't have to workout 6 days a week and live on salads. It's ok to have an occasional treat, just keep each day within your calorie goals and you'll still lose weight. Don't be hard on yourself either, it takes time to learn a new way of life and that's ok. Learn about healthy foods and explore different sports or workouts. There are tons of healthy meal ideas online - find healthy foods that you LIKE to eat and it won't seem like such a sacrifice. Just make sure you follow healthy advice - starving, overexercising and fad diets are NOT healthy.

As far as workouts...Use the free classes they offer at the gym - most of them will give you a serious calorie burn and you'll learn some new workout moves. I'd recommend things like Zumba, spin class (indoor cycling) and cario kickboxing if they offer any of those. You'll burn major calories and they're fun! Don't worry if you don't know what you're doing. I've taught fitness classes and would tell new girls to just have fun and don't worry if you can't keep up at first. Keep coming to class and eventually you will. Also get some workout DVDs for days you can't get to the gym or just go for a long walk. I always tell my clients to stick to the same workout days each week (like Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat for example) because once you form a habit and a schedule it's easier to stick with it. Don't just wake up everyday and see if you "feel" like working out, commit to a schedule.

Celebrate every pound you lose and be proud of yourself. It's not easy at first, but once you get on a roll and in the habit of eating less calories, logging all your food and working out regularly it definitely becomes easier. You may have some bad days or have to miss a workout here and there, but just keep going and don't give up! If you want to friend me, I'd be happy to cheer you on.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    With the right mindset, you can do anything. You've got the right attitude. You can definitely do this. Anything is possible so long as you stay motivated and dedicated. You've got this!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    With the right mindset, you can do anything. You've got the right attitude. You can definitely do this. Anything is possible so long as you stay motivated and dedicated. You've got this!

Thats what I was getting at.
  • JoniRiaya
    JoniRiaya Posts: 79
    Options
    This is a great site for motivation. You've already had a lot of great diet/exercise advice so I won't overwhelm you with more. One thing I might suggest is finding a picture of a dress you would like to wear to prom and put it up on your mirror to keep you motivated. Don't worry about looking like the model wearing the dress - just imagine how amazing YOU will look in it :) I'm sending you a friend request so I can cheer you on cause I KNOW you are going to do this :)