What does it feel like to be skinny/fit/healthy/stronger?

Options
Now that you've lost weight, perhaps reached your goal, how do you feel? What changed for you? What were you worried about before, struggled with, thoughts you had before, and how has that changed after/during your journey? Include your starting weight / current weight / pounds lost if you like.

Replies

• jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It makes you feel like you can do anything. That if you can get your bad habits under control and work hard, you can do it all. And you can!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    For me before I lost weight, I never thought about what I ate. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever. I would eat fast food everyday.
    Now I think about food to the point of obsession. It's all I think about. I have to pre-log to get my foods rights then I can relax a little.
    However I am in the best shape of my life in my 30's with two kids. I feel strong and sexy. I am not as worried about getting diabetes. I can run, I can jump. I can do a lot of push ups on my toes. I can do anything! Well except for wear a bikini in public.

SW 145
    CW 123
    Low w 111-- no no
    GW 120 and to maintain while getting in better and better shape.
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good question. My total 21 pound loss resulted in my breathing better.... which is lovely. It is more comfortable walking and moving. I went from clothes that did not fit well or flatter to fitting into clothes that I feel attractive in. For the last 12 plus years I would look in the mirror and say, who is that? Now, I have my face back. I am able to exercise again and getting stronger is empowering. I feel younger than I have in many years and more energetic. That all rewards me by encouraging me to stay on track.
    Thanks for asking.. I feel re-motivated. :flowerforyou:
  • whitterbugCo
    Options
    That's something I am working towards. I want to be able to do anything. I want to feel strong. I don't want to be afraid of doing something and missing a great opportunity. It's great to hear this is what lays ahead. :]
  • lesliezhang
    Options
    It's very surreal! I'm still not used to being 'small' since I grew up chubbier than all my classmates due to poor nutrition and lack of exercise and my teen years were full of self-hatred and disgust. It's weird to see a slender girl and think, "Wow, I wish I was that skinny" and then realize that we're actually pretty similar in build..

I started dieting on and off around 120-125lb, joined MFP at 109lb and now I'm around 96lb.
  • cvthatcher
    cvthatcher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    you feel badass! i've kinda coupled this with all sorts of other more healthy things...like cutting my "social" smoking to even making sure i wash my face and makeup off before bed. it sounds silly but i when i make it more about feeling great than looking hot, it results in more rewards.

not like looking hot isn't a great goal. cause it is!
  • alexluong
    alexluong Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    girls still don't like me.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    It is amazing. I feel stronger and healthier. I can actually run & lift weights, I went from size 20-22 to 4/6.I can shop in real stores, which is so much fun. My knees don't hurt, I can move easier, probably b/c I am 130 instead of 215. It is hard work, takes patience, but it is so worth it. You can do this.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Physically....Erm....looser? Bonier? Leaner? I lose weight in lumps, so plateau > lump > plateau > lump, when I'm about to drop another half kilo the fat feels a bit looser around my stomach and pelvis. When I lie in bed, my belly isn't as pronounced, so I feel leaner.

Mentally...it takes a while for you to adjust your self-image to its new point - ie you see a reflection and think 'hang on, is that me?' That's always a neat feeling, but ends up in mirror-worship.

Fitter - fitter feels incredible. You just keep going...and going...and going. Case in point - my wife, toddler & I visited a holiday home we hadn't been to for 18 months - 18 months ago I was 25kg heavier. My focus was entirely on getting exercise done and out of the way, then getting on with the day, and we were helping out doing the garden at the holiday home too, so it was like:

'I'm going for a run, see you in an hour and a half'
    two hours later
    'Right, let's take the dog and the baby for a walk'
    an hour later
    'OK, I'm going to go get a few loads of mulch for the garden'
    six hours later
    'Seriously sweetheart, I'll be inside in a hour or so, just want to finish moving these rocks...'

whereas 18 months ago it would've been:
    'let's drive to the cafe for breakfast'
    then
    'we should take the dog out for a bit sometime'
    then
    'I'm exhausted, I need a nap'
    then
    'Dinner time!'
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Waking up every morning to the realization that your stronger, healthier, lighter than you were a week ago, month ago is a incredible feeling. My resting heart rate is around 43. Not bad for an ex chain smoking alcoholic. The gift of having a "new" body is beyond words. You are only limited by what prisons your mind creates. Challenge every negative thought. Blood pressure is now normal, no heart burn anymore. The list of positive aspects just keep's growing. I wish you the best in your personal journey.:flowerforyou:
  • whitterbugCo
    Options
    Awesome replies! This is perfect motivation and exactly what I've been focusing on... to feel Stronger. <3
  • Playingwithfire89
    Options
    You know that feeling you get after getting ready for a dance/party/event, step back in the mirror and realize....wow....well thats about it.
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well, at first you don't believe you are thinner or healthier. You still see the large person in the mirror, you try not to bmp your hip going through a door way no realising your hips don't stick out that far now.

But, when you come to accept you are smaller it feels AMAZING and worth every bit of the watching what you eat and making sure you exercise. You can offer take that seat at the restaurant squashed into the wall when out with friends. Airline seats are more comfortable. You can buy clothes you like and feel good in them. You feel lighter when you walk and you feel normal when you enter the room. Then you realise that people meeting you for the first time don't realise how big you used to be...and that feels good too!

Being thinner feels great, but nothing beats feeling fit. Going for a run and not getting completely out of breath. Running or walking and not feeling the fat wobble and bounce. Playing with your kids, running with the dog, helping a friend move house, gardening for hours. Getting down on the floor without your gut getting in the way - and standing back up again with ease! Swimming laps and not just one lap. Going for a long bike ride. Your body and your mind feel lighter, healthier and happier.

I didn't lose weight quickly, I did it the sensible way. It was all worth it!
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump again!