Totally bummed

Options
I have been working so hard trying to lose weight the past few weeks- switched from low carb, to watching my calories and logging EVERYTHING, finally got out of my slump of not wanting to work out and have worked out hardcore the past 4 days and stepped on the scaled today only to have an almost 6 lb weight gain from my weigh in last week. I'm so let down - and don't know what else to do. Blah..

Replies

• kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have been having trouble losing too, gaining a bit, losing it, gaining back etc, I decided not to weigh in until I notice a sizable difference in my clothes fitting. I have been taking measurements tho, even when I hadn't lost a thing I had gone down an inch on my waist and hips each. I haven't weight since then but have put that inch back on my hips but lost another on my waist so go figure! take measurements, they might encourage you.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I have been having trouble losing too, gaining a bit, losing it, gaining back etc, I decided not to weigh in until I notice a sizable difference in my clothes fitting. I have been taking measurements tho, even when I hadn't lost a thing I had gone down an inch on my waist and hips each. I haven't weight since then but have put that inch back on my hips but lost another on my waist so go figure! take measurements, they might encourage you.

Thanks, a lot of people said to check my measurements- but I just took them a week ago so I didn't really want to take them again just yet. Think i'm going to stay off hte scale for a while though. I hate the feeling of weight gain.
  • bbaker172
    bbaker172 Posts: 93
    Options
    I have been working so hard trying to lose weight the past few weeks- switched from low carb, to watching my calories and logging EVERYTHING, finally got out of my slump of not wanting to work out and have worked out hardcore the past 4 days and stepped on the scaled today only to have an almost 6 lb weight gain from my weigh in last week. I'm so let down - and don't know what else to do. Blah..

I gained 8lbs...and I FLIPPED out yesterday....everyone keeps telling me that muscle weighs more than fat...and you're body isn't used to working out, so you are retaining water because the body is trying to cushion the muscles that are sore.

I was told multiple times to just wait until week 2 or 3 is over, then you're body is getting used to working out like this, and then you'll start to see the weight slide off...you might not see it on the scale...but by your measurements and how many inches you loose.

I'm taking their word for it...but if it doesn't come true, I know who to poke in the eye! lol
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options

I gained 8lbs...and I FLIPPED out yesterday....everyone keeps telling me that muscle weighs more than fat...and you're body isn't used to working out, so you are retaining water because the body is trying to cushion the muscles that are sore.

I was told multiple times to just wait until week 2 or 3 is over, then you're body is getting used to working out like this, and then you'll start to see the weight slide off...you might not see it on the scale...but by your measurements and how many inches you loose.

I'm taking their word for it...but if it doesn't come true, I know who to poke in the eye! lol

I sure hope that's the case- I've just been doing so well with my diet- really trying not to snack and eating CLEAN food ...working out, but the past two days my excercises have consisted of circuit training with dumbells/ etc....so maybe it's muscle , maybe water...I don't know- I still feel like I should be losing pounds though b/c I still have almost 100 to lose.... I am tempted to just start running and do circuit training LATER...
  • bbaker172
    bbaker172 Posts: 93
    Options

I sure hope that's the case- I've just been doing so well with my diet- really trying not to snack and eating CLEAN food ...working out, but the past two days my excercises have consisted of circuit training with dumbells/ etc....so maybe it's muscle , maybe water...I don't know- I still feel like I should be losing pounds though b/c I still have almost 100 to lose.... I am tempted to just start running and do circuit training LATER...

Stick with what you're doing and give it 3 weeks, if you don't see any change by then, then I'd try something different. I'm hanging on to hope that some will slide off this week. I'm on week 2 of Insanity. I do feel I have more stamina and I'm seeing the hail damage on my thighs go down....so I'm hoping.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • themichaelf
    Options
    ilovemybuggy & bbaker172

congrats to both of you for getting up and trying... i'm not being sarcastic... i'm serious... it's the first step to success!! probably sounds cheesy but everyone has to have their first week or so. dust yourself off and start week 2. let the gain fuel your desire to keep going... just goes to show you how up and down our bodies can be.

disclaimer: i'm not a doctor or trainer. but quite honestly this is what i believe. your body is like WHAT THE F***???? you're confusing the hell out of it and it starts "storing for winter." keep at it and piss it off, it will eventually give in and if you keep going hardcore like you said, the weight will drip off... literally

track your food, track your exercises, track it all. at the end of the week when you weigh, look through your diary and see what you could have changed. once you look over it... GET OVER IT!!! then go to the next week.

both of you can do it... you know you can... no prove to yourself that you can.

both of you are beautiful ladies... if you don't mind i'd love to add you to my friends list so i can see your progress... i look forward to seeing some big losses!! :)
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well... Good news first... U R Human and things happen. Things will get better... Now that that it said. Look at what you are eating and when. Have you talked to your doctor or a nutritionist? They should be able to help. My trainer insists on carbs earlier in the day and only veggies and protein (Meat) Chicken fish seafood at night. it does make a difference. Change up your workouts. Oh and unfortunately a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound. Muscle is more dense.

We all have our stuff. for me it is the midnight munch man. So I try and plan for him. LOL special k crisps 100 cal 20 carbs if I must. or some form of protein. I know it is hard and can be discouraging BUT there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

One week is not a good measure but the good news is it is very unlikely you gained 6lbs of fat in a week. That said your diary is closed.....Mind opening it so we can take a look? I will say if you switched from low carb you likely gained water weight (glycogen)...that happens when you eat carbs again. I wouldn't stress it. Keep with what you are doing for 3-4 weeks and see if you see a change.....If you don't then adjust. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I do feel I have more stamina and I'm seeing the hail damage on my thighs go down....so I'm hoping.

I just read this. I have never heard it referred to as hail damage. LOL!!!! thanks for the laugh, haha
  • tampabobby
    Options
    try cutting out salt. only drink water. eat whole foods. no processed foods or food bars. count everything. pick a calorie goal you can reasonably meet that will give you consistent gradual weight loss.

if you lose a few pounds and hit a plateau just keep doing the same thing and focus on not gaining weight back until your body is ready to lose a few more lbs.

if you are a big eater (like I was 100 lbs ago) - focus on stuff you can eat a lot of (like salad and lean protein).

i would stick to mostly vegetables with only small amounts of nuts, brown rice, beans, and whole grains as these can be very calorie dense. that said - enjoy your food and don't starve.

if you really want to stay inspired start reading books on health and nutrition. get an account on audible.com and listen to them in your car. some great books:

the end of overating
    eat to live
    you on a diet
    fast food nation
    finding ultra
    in defense of food

practice positive mental habits.

set some goals - write your goals down and your plans to achieve them on a weekly basis.

visualize the thin you and your thin life. what does it feel like?

focus on logistics (make sure your kitchen is stocked with healthy food - make sure your food is prepared for the following day if necessary and that you have a plan to have a healthy lunch at work or whever you are going).

here are some more ideas i have written in a blog: http://www.weightlossreality.info/.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    ilovemybuggy & bbaker172

congrats to both of you for getting up and trying... i'm not being sarcastic... i'm serious... it's the first step to success!! probably sounds cheesy but everyone has to have their first week or so. dust yourself off and start week 2. let the gain fuel your desire to keep going... just goes to show you how up and down our bodies can be.

disclaimer: i'm not a doctor or trainer. but quite honestly this is what i believe. your body is like WHAT THE F***???? you're confusing the hell out of it and it starts "storing for winter." keep at it and piss it off, it will eventually give in and if you keep going hardcore like you said, the weight will drip off... literally

track your food, track your exercises, track it all. at the end of the week when you weigh, look through your diary and see what you could have changed. once you look over it... GET OVER IT!!! then go to the next week.

both of you can do it... you know you can... no prove to yourself that you can.

both of you are beautiful ladies... if you don't mind i'd love to add you to my friends list so i can see your progress... i look forward to seeing some big losses!! :)

Aww thank you :) I added you! Today was just a tough day for me- and I blew my diet big time...but today i'm back to my normal. Soon as I get paid i'm going to go shopping for all 'clean foods' nothing processed (or more than minimally) ... when I first started this journey- I was pretty much only eating chicken, fish and veggies- and I lost 30 lbs in less than two months.. so I think i'm going to go back to that kind of diet and i'll probably see results. You guys are probably right tho- the change from low carbs to not low carbs does add weight back, and I expected that because i've done it before...only thing I can do is keep doing what i'm doing, and eventually i'll see the results I want!

Thank you everyone for your responses- i'm in much better spirit today! :happy:
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Oh and my diary is now open- however, I didn't post yesterdays because it was a BAD day. :embarassed:
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale for a bit. Just keep doing the right things and using your tape measure. If you get a chance, check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof?hl=scale+lying+liar
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Ditch the scale for a bit. Just keep doing the right things and using your tape measure. If you get a chance, check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof?hl=scale+lying+liar

Holy wow! Great thread, thank you for that!! :) I think I am going to steer clear of the scale for a while- maybe a few weeks.