Weight Set point or Plateau?

Options
just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. I was told by a nutritionist 10 + years ago, that it is typical for your body to 'hover' around a weight that it remembers you being at for a long time. I also read that you can raise your set point if you are at a heavier weight for long enough, and that it is harder to reduce that set point once raised.

My trainer, when I asked him about this today, said 'It's called a plateau..' .... LOL..

either way, I seem to have slowed down significantly in the weight loss, though my approach has not changed much. It's not actually STOPPED, just gone from about 2 per week on average to closer to 1 lb per week. It seemed to stick around the same weight for a couple weeks, losing ever so slowly that it was almost untrackable..

I think it may be picking up again finally, but I was just wondering about this slow down - it WAS around the weight that I spent much of the last 15-20 or so years at, is it coincidence do you think, or just a typical plateau?

Replies

• schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the set point theory is just a theory, but i was also wondering something similar about plateaus.

i do think you can get below plateaus though because people have done it.

anyway have you been keeping track of your measurements? a real plateau would mean you are neither losing on the scale or on the tape measure.
    when that happens it becomes a matter of changing some things up since most people try doing the same things they were doing when they first started without realizing that it's probably time to start with a whole new plan since the plateau'd body is essentially a new body than the one you began with
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would call it a plateau. As you lose weight, the less pounds that will come off during a week. When I started my weight loss journey in January, I was losing roughly 1.8 lbs per week and I'm now around 1 lbs a week.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I think plateaus can be at any point other than just your set point, but I think if you're at your said set point, then you can definitely hit a plateau there. Take me, for instance - I consider myself to be in a plateau at the moment, but I'm also at the weight I was at in high school for so long. I'm currently at 8 months at the same weight... :grumble:

However, I also hit a plateau after I had lost the first 30 lbs for about 4-6 weeks before I started losing again. A plateau can happen at any time if your body is in the process of adjusting to all the diet/exercise you've been doing to it, but I definitely believe in set points, too.

And just because you're AT your set point, doesn't mean you can't get past it. Same with a plateau. You just have to change things up and figure out what works for you. I'm actually seeing a doctor tomorrow because I think I may have discovered WHY I'm at a plateau still, so hopefully things will start moving for me again soon.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would call it a plateau. As you lose weight, the less pounds that will come off during a week. When I started my weight loss journey in January, I was losing roughly 1.8 lbs per week and I'm now around 1 lbs a week.

And I agree with this - if you're still consistently losing, even if it's not as much each week, that's not a plateau.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest shaking up your fitness routine. The body adapts pretty quickly to exercise so it's good to change things up every 30 days or so to avoid a plateau. Here are some ideas:

Cardio: If you usually run on a treadmill, increase the incline or run outside somewhere hilly. Or you can switch machines and do the elliptical instead. Or switch up classes. Try Zumba, Turbo Kick, or a step class or something different than you have been doing.

Weight training: If you haven't been lifting weights yet, you should definitely start. Building lean muscle is an easy way to increase your metabolism. To switch things up you can try different exercises, change from working one body part at a time to two, increase the weight and decrease the reps or decrease the weight and increase the reps.

So basically, it's a good idea to change things up to keep your body guessing and continually improving! Also, check out your body measurements. Sometimes you'll shrink without much change on the scale.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mmannm5
    mmannm5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position!! I've been at a plateau for almost 3 months. I upped my calories about 2 weeks ago from around 1500 to 1800-2000 because I started Insanity whereas before I mainly did the elliptical. I'm now in the second month of Insanity.

The weight I'm stuck at is pretty much what I maintained a few years ago for about 3 years--the first time I hadn't gained weight consistently since puberty (I was in high school ;)

I haven't lost weight or inches and I'm eating clean. I can see more muscle, but I want to lose some inches!!
    (-__-)

I feel like mine is a set point for my weight---and I was so darn excited to get below what I graduated HS at!!!

Any tips to break out of it since I already upped calories and switched up/intensified my exercise? I was thinking of going low cal for a week or two just to shock the body, but I don't want to screw with my metabolism
  • rustyfla
    rustyfla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Measurements are the way to go, I regret not tracking mine from the start as I would have been less obsessed about the number on the scale.

I have actually recently gained weight, which I am quite happy about as I can see I am losing fat so it doesn't bother me.

I have to agree that varying the exercises can help move things along, especially adding in some resistance work.

Other reasons for a lack of progress can be over-exercising or excess stress (both seen by the body as a priority to fix, weight loss will take a back seat) and/or lack of decent sleep (good sleep releases growth hormone and this is good thing for fat loss).

I tend to believe the set point theory, I think the body is always trying to achieve the best balance it can to survive (maintaining homeostasis) and excess fat is just a sign that there is something amiss with the hormonal balance.

Sort the hormones out and the mind will 'see' that it has excess and will adjust appetite/metabolism/activity according.

Starving the body will just cause more stress and lead to metabolic downregulation and hence lack of fat loss.

It makes sense to deal with the engine first and then decide if regular or super unleaded is the way to go for me anyway ...
  • mmannm5
    mmannm5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I tend to believe the set point theory, I think the body is always trying to achieve the best balance it can to survive (maintaining homeostasis) and excess fat is just a sign that there is something amiss with the hormonal balance.

Sort the hormones out and the mind will 'see' that it has excess and will adjust appetite/metabolism/activity according.

It makes sense to deal with the engine first and then decide if regular or super unleaded is the way to go for me anyway ...

I agree, but how do we "sort out the hormones" so that the body doesn't try to keep your homeostasis at a high weight?
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think there is something to the set point theory.

I've gone up and down the scale for years and this time on the way down, I was at the same weight for 5 months, no matter what I did, increase cardio, increase weights, increase food, decrease food, I mean I tried EVERYTHING, no budging.

Finally this month, after 5 months, I've lost 4 pounds. I haven't lost 4 pounds in a month since February.

and yes, this is the weight I was at for years.

So is it a monster plateau or a set point? Don't know for sure, but either way the way to look at it is to keep doing what you know is right and be patient, very very patient.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great replies :) I've actually been working with a trainer since I started this journey on March 26th. I have been lifting weights the whole time.

I am increasing my cardio as much as i can and time allows. Sleep is my trouble spot. There just aren't enough hours in the day, and frequently I end up having to choose between 7 hours of sleep (vs 6) and doing my cardio. if I am really run down, the cardio suffers as I know I need the sleep.

I work a full time job, a part time job, have a 4 year old, and see a trainer 3 times a week. It is hard to find time!!

I dropped down 3 pounds 2 days ago, and then am back up again ( part of which I think is water retention) but I don't think I'll know for a couple of days if I truly am trying to break through. It is so hard. Upped activity makes me more hungry, but I've dropped my calories down to 1500 (or close to it) with a high day 1-2 x week of 2500 (maintenance or close to it), to try to shift things up. I was doing this and doing 1800 calories a day.

I think my body is really adjusting to the 40ish loss, and it is the closest thing to a set point i've ever had.

It's hard to stay at 1500 when you're used to 1700-1800 but it's way doable, just need to refocus.

Good luck to us all!!!