Gout

Options
So my husband has had gout for years. I am trying to find a good way to cook and have him eat. Does anyone else have this painful desease? What are things that you eat or do that help you from having flare ups?

Replies

• candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump so that more people will see and it wont get lost in the shuffle. Hoping to find some tips.:flowerforyou:
  • Xniecex
    Xniecex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think my dad flares up when he eats spicy food :0/
  • dzvinka82
    dzvinka82 Posts: 33
    Options
    Cut out alcohol and red meat as much as possible. Eat meals with lean protein (chicken) and vegetables.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a disease but a condition that can be treated with the right diet.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    My husband suffers from gout too. From what I know, sodas and red meat can cause a flare up but he refuses to give this stuff up.

Tart cherry juice can help (you can find this at your local health food store) and apple cider vinegar has also been known to help.
  • jeremycatrett
    jeremycatrett Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    if i eat too much low quality salmon (frozen patties) i get what i assume is a gout flare up. take some ibuprofen and it goes away. i just tossed the rest of them after that happened.
  • Pilotgirl86
    Options
    Alcohol (especially beer as yeast is high in purines), processed sugars (high in fructose), seafood (the worst are scallops and other mollusks) and red meats (especially organs and wild game) are the parts of the diet that can cause flare ups the most. In people that suffer from gout they over produce uric acid, and the above mentioned foods are very high in purines, which break down into uric acid in the body.

Foods that help with alleviate this:
    - dairy products (low fat)
    - citrus
    - apple cider vinegar
    - coffee (moderate amounts)
    - 1,500mg of vitamin C per day
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's the deal with gout. Before I explain this I just want to say I am an RN and I work for the Cleveland Clinic. so... gout is the result of uric acid built up in the blood stream, which i'm sure you arleady know. Uric acid is derived from purines which is a type of amino acid found in certain foods. In order to avoid gout flare-ups the best diet to follow is one that is low in purines. Foods that are high in purines are as follows:
    Enemy number one: meat. All meat has purine in it. Organ meats are the worst along with red meat and fatty fish (salmon, mackeral, sardines). All meat has purine in it, so it should be limitted to 4-6 oz per day.
    enemy number 2: saturated fat. these fats make it hard for the body to eliminate uric acid
    enemy number 3: alcohol. same as saturated fats, alcohol interferes with the elimination process
    enemy number 4: high fructose corn syrup. this is in nearly all processed foods along with almost all sweetened beverages of any kind. this is the only type of sugar that will increase uric acid levels, and besides it's no good for ANYONE!

Also increase water intake, this will help to flush it out of the system
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My dad has bad gout in his ankle, when he has a flare up, he takes a tablespoon of 100% cherry juice concentrate a couple of times a day. It has to be concentrate with no added sugar, like you buy in a little bottle and mix with water to make juice. It really does the trick, but I cannot remember why. It's worth a try!
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's the deal with gout. Before I explain this I just want to say I am an RN and I work for the Cleveland Clinic. so... gout is the result of uric acid built up in the blood stream, which i'm sure you arleady know. Uric acid is derived from purines which is a type of amino acid found in certain foods. In order to avoid gout flare-ups the best diet to follow is one that is low in purines. Foods that are high in purines are as follows:
    Enemy number one: meat. All meat has purine in it. Organ meats are the worst along with red meat and fatty fish (salmon, mackeral, sardines). All meat has purine in it, so it should be limitted to 4-6 oz per day.
    enemy number 2: saturated fat. these fats make it hard for the body to eliminate uric acid
    enemy number 3: alcohol. same as saturated fats, alcohol interferes with the elimination process
    enemy number 4: high fructose corn syrup. this is in nearly all processed foods along with almost all sweetened beverages of any kind. this is the only type of sugar that will increase uric acid levels, and besides it's no good for ANYONE!

Also increase water intake, this will help to flush it out of the system

THANKS! for posting this. This was very helpful.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My dad had this...stay away from red meat and beer!