HELP! there are different types of yoga?

Options
I was talking to a friend today and she does bikram yoga, I asked her if she could do a certain pose and that's when I learned there there are different types of yoga, and the type she does, does not have that pose. so i'm wondering what type you guys do and what types there are?
&what type has this pose, for some reason i've always wanted to be able to do this one:

25gz49v.jpg

Replies

• munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/thebridge.asp

I can do that pose. It feels quite nice once you get there.

edit to add another link! the bridge is how my instructor starts it out. it's called the wheel pose.

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/info/wheel-pose.asp
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Options
    I do ashtanga yoga. And I think this pose is included... Even though, for sure, I am not able to do it :laugh:

In any case, you don't do the same poses every time. After 6 months I'm going to yoga, I'm still discovering new poses... it also depends at what level you are :glasses:

The important thing is to have fun!!!
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do Vinyasa Flow Yoga and that is just a basic back bend (in flow yoga and gymnastics as far as I know )
    And there are several types of yoga, your best bet would be to google yoga so you can see all the different types (sometimes the explanations get rather off ran with the type of spirituality associated to it)

:)

- also I saw the image just fine - it was big but all you have to do is right click on it and hit view image :)
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It took me over a year to get into Bridge pose but now I can just pop into it. I think eventually once you build the strength and feel how it is supposed to feel (my instructor spotted me to feel the pose the first few times), your body figures out how to get there. Keep at it and you'll get there too! There are many poses I can do now that I never thought I'd get into.
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here's a great link explaining a few of the different types of yoga:

http://www.self.com/health/blogs/healthyself/2010/08/fitsugar-says-choose-a-yoga-cl.html

Now that's definitely not all the types out there but its some.

Personally, I practice Ashtanga-Vinyasa Flow but I've tried Anusara in the past as well
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I do Hatha, Vinyasa, Restorative and Anasura. Here is a GREAT site that explains all the types of yoga. I was given this when I first started and it helped immensely :)

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/yoga/yoga-disciplines.html
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i think i am going to do the yoga in p90x2, what type is that?
    and I def want to practice that bridge pose!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    The pose has many different names:

Sanskrit: Urdhva Dhanurasana
    Wheel or
    Full or Push-up backbend

There are some tricks to getting up, provided your flexibility isn't holding you back. Could can start lying over a chair (or through a folding chair) and push up from there. You could also start on a pile of pillows. Another way to start is to put a folding chair with the back against a wall, sit down in front of the chair, reach up and grab the sides of the chair back (near the seat), and push up. When you are ready to push up from the floor, shift more of your weight over your legs, so your arms are not doing all the work. Hope that helps.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    how often do u do it? yoga that is?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The pose has many different names:

Sanskrit: Urdhva Dhanurasana
    Wheel or
    Full or Push-up backbend

and inverted bow!

I am miles away from this OP be careful as you really do need the right flexibility for this, which you may or may not have naturally.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    how often do u do it? yoga that is?

Almost everyday, or about 10 hours a week.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    @Lisseth:

P90X2 Yoga - think that's designed by Ted McDonald - he's a Vinyasa Flow kinda guy. Read somewhere he's trained in Iyengar and Asthanga for years and likes to teach a Vinyasa Flow style.

I personally love this kind of Yoga, but some people find it a bit quick - since you don't really settle into any poses for long. Makes you sweat though!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It's all the same, right?
  • stellasando
    Options
    Huge fan of power yoga! Power Yoga is one of the best forms of yoga in my opinion. You get strength, flexibility, a heart rate increase, and a great sweat. Check out the yoga videos by Mark Gonzales. He produces some of the best yoga videos I’ve seen out there. High quality, excellent flow, great instruction and he creates such a great workout experience. Check him out if you can!
    http://vimeo.com/channels/poweryoga
  • jedikrissy
    jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    There are many different types. I do yoga designed for weight loss.