The scale says I gained since last night!!

Options
2»

Replies

• RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the sodium! Easier said than done though.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    POOP. You are welcome... :flowerforyou:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I recently weighed myself pre and post poop. To my surprise, I weighed more post poop LOL!
    Stop weighing in everyday. Try weighing in weekly. First thing in the morning, after using the restroom if possible, and in the nude, to rule out any variation in clothing weight.
  • Pilotgirl86
    Options
    WTF! Scale says I gained two pounds since last night, even though I have been WELL under my cal goal and working out still every day! Grrr....and today at work I was tightening my scrubs and realized they were as tight as they would go and they weren't squeezing my abdomen...I know I've lost...what is going on? Muscle? Did I just lose water weight? (I do not measure myself, just weigh.)

Your body can fluctuate about 2-3 lbs per day, this can include water retention, food in your body etc.

1) Don't weight yourself every single day, so it once a week max
    2) Always weigh yourself at the same time of day (always before breakfast after you pee, or always after supper or whatever as long as it is the same each time).
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Obsessing over scales leads to mental illness.

Seriously, it's so obvious why you can't always rely on scales.
  • brapril714
    brapril714 Posts: 25
    Options
    To each there on, on how often to weigh. I've lost over 100lbs and weigh daily. My brain is wired for numbers, so it works for me. I use it to figure out how different foods affect me. Don't panic if you see an increase, figure out where it came from.
  • EliseVanca
    EliseVanca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have to go to the bathroom. That's happened to me before. Or your period. Or maybe you ate too much salt and you're retaining. There are a number of variables. Don't lose hope!! Stay strong(:
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    water maybe. My scale is freaky. WHen I first get up I'll weigh XX then even if I do nothing, no eating, drinking or eliminating it'll change by 1/2-1 pd...like redistribution or somemething. Oh well, I don't care..offical is once a month and if I've lost at that time then that's it. Daily for me is just for giggles and too make sure I'm not gaining.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    To give you an idea of how much you can bloat, I was hooked up to an IV for a day and a half and "gained" 7 pounds. Two days later, I'm back to my normal weight. The only way you can combat it is to drink more water. Your body stores water and bloats when its not getting enough hydration.
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    time to poop :)

had to lol sorry. I lost 11 pounds in water weight from a hike. I then held onto 3lbs extra for a few days while my muscle repaired. Muscles will hold onto water to help flush toxins so dw. Instead, measure yourself in inches as well :)
  • DanetteNel
    DanetteNel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on the scale alone - take measurements of your hips, waist and thigh.

Do that once a week and keep track that way.

The scale does not tell you about body composition - it is affected by too many other factors as mentioned in previous posts.

Mine bounces all over the place, but as long as my measurements are decreasing, I am happy.

Your clothes are telling you the truth ;-)

Hang in there!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    There's a thread bout this exact same thing by another poster, two subjects down.

SMH.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    probabaly just water weight, no biggie, I am up and down all the time within a few pounds, drop teh scale and just eat healthy and work out.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself daily is fine - good even - because it shows you how much you fluctuate - even if you follow the same routine daily!

I fluctuate by 2-3 lb: Women tend to fluctuate even more.

Look at over all trends week on week... there is a nice graph on the web site and the iPhone app (not sure about the rest): Look at the graph over at least two weeks, preferably a month: That is your true measure of success!
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself then did the 30 Day Shred and then went for a run. I then weighed myself again and had gained 2 lbs. These things happen. I know its not a true gain, just my body doing funny little tricks. It'll come back off soon.
  • jocanlose
    jocanlose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find if I do a lot of exercise I don't lose weight straight after. I have just done two days of intense workouts and a week of being under calories and have lost nothing. I know that it's the exercise, something to do with muscle repair.
    Anyway give it a few days and weigh again
  • 84wweber
    84wweber Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight. Sometimes there is a lot of sodium in foods we don't expect to have it.