Puzzled

I realise this might be just a one-day glitch. However, let me give some numbers:

My BMR is about 2300 calories, so MFP suggest a daily allowance of 1300.

I spent a lot of yesterday exercising, which gave me back 661 calories - i.e. a total allowance for the day of 1300 + 661 = 1961.

I tried to use up the calories I gained from the exercise, so I ate 1878 calories, leaving 83 calories UNDER my daily allowance after adjusting for the exercise.

This morning I am 1.5 pounds heavier than the previous day.

Given that the allowance is still 1000 under my BMR (the number of calories I would have used even if I stayed in bed all day), how can I possibly have gained weight?

Replies

• lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    It's water weight, after exercising a lot your body retains water while it repairs itself. Also, extra calories usually means more sodium means more fluid retention. Just drink lots of water and the weight will come back off naturally and quickly. You would have to eat 3500 calories OVER your tdee to gain one pound of fat in a day. Don't sweat it, and if you are going to weigh yourself every day, you will see lots of fluctuations.
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
  • campervangirl
    campervangirl Posts: 25 Member
    I've just had the same experience - lots of exercise yesterday equals weight gain this morning...good to know it's probably water retention! :smile:
  • Nighthawk4
    It makes sense I suppose. It was a hot day and I walked a lot, so I would have been sweating a lot.

It is hard to force down that much water. I feel bloated and spend a lot of time in the bathroom :wink:

Does the water retention pass again once I drink and rest?
  • just had exactly the same problem!! i gained 2.3lb from one day to the next and almost had heart failure. i was seriously thinking of locking myself in the gym with duct tape over my mouth!!
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    It makes sense I suppose. It was a hot day and I walked a lot, so I would have been sweating a lot.

It is hard to force down that much water. I feel bloated and spend a lot of time in the bathroom :wink:

Does the water retention pass again once I drink and rest?

Yes. The way to get all that extra fluid out (it seems counterproductive) is to drink lots and lots of water, then pee it out!
  • Nighthawk4
    just had exactly the same problem!! i gained 2.3lb from one day to the next and almost had heart failure. i was seriously thinking of locking myself in the gym with duct tape over my mouth!!

Not quite that bad, but it is a bit depressing. You work hard at the diet and the exercise, you have a really good and productive day and then you wake up still feeling tired, weigh yourself and you have gained weight.

:noway:

It doesn't help that it is my Birthday today - so I was hoping for a good result on the scales to celebrate.

Oh well - more water and more exercise.
  • happy birthday!!!
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Not quite that bad, but it is a bit depressing. You work hard at the diet and the exercise, you have a really good and productive day and then you wake up still feeling tired, weigh yourself and you have gained weight.

:noway:

It doesn't help that it is my Birthday today - so I was hoping for a good result on the scales to celebrate.

Oh well - more water and more exercise.

Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:
    Take comfort in the fact the weight gain won't last if your exercising & eating right & its just that our bodies need time to adjust & repair - over the next feww days you may lose that weight plus more! x
  • Nighthawk4
  • Nighthawk4
    No idea how much 8 cups of water would be.

However, I have managed 1.5 litres so far, over about 2 hours. Is that enough?

Other liquids as well of course, like tea and milk on my cereal :smile:

Edit - it seems a cup is 250ml, so 4 cups to the litre. I have already drunk 6 cups. Can you overdose on water? :laugh:
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Actually yes, but you'd have to drink a lot more to OD.

Happy birthday!