Sodim - finding it so hard to cut

Options
alleycat88
alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
I did well in decreasing my sodium once I found out the smoked salmon was the culprit, and yesterday i did eat some mac n' cheese (soooo good. lol), but apart from that I eat on the healthier side of things, yet I almost always surpass on the sodium! bahhh!

can someone suggest foods low in sodium that i can try and implement in my diet?

Replies

• randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    are you eating a lot of ready prepared meals? they are always high in sodium.

Anything fresh and made from scratch would be best to cut down on your sodium intake.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    No not really. I did go out for dinner last night but that was the first time in almost a month.

Mostly salads, or homecooked meals.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    As the above poster said, fresh unprocessed foods are your best bet. Also, drink plenty of water too :)
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eat tons of unseasoned lettuce and add tons of dried herbs on Your heavy sodium food and that will up Your potassium so there You go balance restored.
    You only need to cut sodium if You are afraid of water weight or have a high blood pressure, but eating just beans and boneless skinless chicken breasts and other green vegetables will shift Your potassium too high and then You will start gaining water weight from too high potassium in Your diet and if You combine that with exercise and no sodium ... Oh the cramps.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Checks your sauces and dressings - you can make your own really simply..

I noticed your ham is quite salty, could substitute for turkey or chicken.

Also anything that you buy per-prepared that says healthy/good for you/other - double check the salt content, they have to get flavor from some place.