Roast Dinners... good or bad?

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
so tonight i'm due to have a roast dinner with all the trimmings (no pudding though)

how bad (or good?) is a roast dinner?

mine will probably consist of;

roast chicken
x1 yorkshire pudding
x2 roast potatoes
x2 parsnips
brocolli
carrots
green beans
cauliflower
gravy

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    We have a roast dinner twice a week, but I don't have what everyone else has on there plates lol. I used to have yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, potato croquettes, meat with all the fat, mashed potato with a ton of butter.

Now I have eliminated the yorkshire puddings because of the carbs and sodium, the roast potatoes because of the saturated fat from the meats to roast it in, the potato croquettes, well why have 3 types of potato on one dish? I trim the fat, if we are having pork or beef. I limit the amount of butter in my mash, I enjoy the mashed potato and the taste of the butter, but I don't blindly dollop it in.

I also limit the amount of potato I am having. I try to fill my plate with the meat and veggies and it's usually filled and so is my stomach.

If you want a roast dinner, have a roast dinner, but be smart about it. Have only the roasted potatoes, but use spray oil or olive oil and use sweet potato instead. They taste amazing when roasted. Skip the yorkshire pudding. Take off the skin of the chicken and only have the breast. The gravy is high in sodium, but I enjoy gravy as well, just water it down a little bit, use less bisto or the fat from the meat.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    You roast looks fine to me - just make sure the plate is mostly roast meat (no skin/fat) and veg - less roast spuds/parsnips.

I started having steam new potatoes with mine so that I don't miss the roast potatoes but you're only having 2 anyway!

Oh, and don't make the gravy with the meat juices as there is likely to be fat in there. If I have roast beef I do a red onion gravy made with stock cube.