Advice needed to 10k trainning

Options
Hi all,

I just signed up to run a 10k in Cheddar (Somerset, UK) on 09/09/2012. Here is my running history:

Never run before, not even to chase a bus! Started running outdoor in May 2012, jog/walk just under 3.5 miles 3 to 4 days per week. Best time is 43:11 minutes, this include my warm up walk.

Increase mileage to just under 4 miles since July 2012. Best time is 48:48 minutes, this include a shorter warm up walk.

I am still unable to do a soild run for 30 minutes, but I notice I am running for longer and taking shorter break every time.
Where I live in complete flat so the route I do has no incline, Cheddar Gorge has lots of really steep hills.

How should I tackle this trainning? I never done a proper run before and no access to gym or weights. I do have Jillian Michael's 30 days shred and banish fat DVDs. I also have a cross trainer at home.

My goal is not being the last one to cross the line. The latest result show the last person's time was 1 hour 40 something mintues.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You would be surprised what your body can do if your MIND believes that it can.

My personal belief is that if you can run/walk 4 miles you can run/walk 6.2 miles. It's just not that much farther. This is coming from someone who used to have to WALK while trying to do a mile and is now training for a full marathon. You CAN go that far. Honestly.

Just.
    Keep.
    Going,

I swear I'm not being pushy. If I hadn't done it myself, I wouldn't tell you to do it.

I was FINALLY running around 3 miles each time I ran. One day I said screw it, I'm going for SIX. THAT's it. I will run 6 miles or die trying.
    And guess what?
    I ran 6 miles.

***** The difference between 4 miles and 6 miles is all mental.... not physical *****

As for hills, go find some. You might have to drive to your starting point but it's really important. Hill running is greatly different than running on flat ground.

Good Luck!!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are doing everything right. Keep doing what you are doing now and gradually increase the length of one of your runs each week. You should be able to get it to over 6 mi by the end of Aug. if you stay consistent between now and the race I'll bet you will finish in under 80 min, well before last.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd keep doing what you're doing and adding time and distance every week. If you're at 4 miles now and add a half mile each week, in a month, you'll be just about 10k.

I'd also suggest starting your timer after the warm-up walk, to get a better idea of what your pace is. You'll warm up before the race on race day, not when the starting gun goes off. If you can manage to get a couple training runs in a hillier location, that would help, too.

Don't worry about your time. You'll likely run faster on race day - with endorphins and competition - than you do on training runs. And no matter were you place, you have a new personal record you can beat next time!
  • mosschopscider
    mosschopscider Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I completely agree it is all mental- your body can cope with huge traumas such as running marathons if you force it to. It will be a lot easier to keep running in the actual event as there will be other people running with you. Just remember not to start too fast, and I would advise you to pick a person in front of you who is running at the same pace and just stick behind them- it will keep you going. If you find you can go faster, pick someone else, slower the same. I hate running by myself but the buzz you get from competing in events is amazing so I have to force myself to do it.
    Another suggestion would be to find a local running group to run with? They are not all speedy gonzales, they are just people like yourself who want to keep/get fit and they will also be able to help you with training tips etc.

Good luck and enjoy your run in September x
  • stephmo86
    stephmo86 Posts: 45
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing good! Try finding some hills and practice running them if they're gonna be in the course, we used to do that on cross country.
  • LiterOCola
    LiterOCola Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out Jeff Galloway's programs. He's an Olympic marathoner who advocates a combination walk/run program. By following his program, I was able to go from not being able to run to the end of my driveway, to running/walking a half marathon as my first race! I was slow, but I did it.

Here is a link to his 10K training program. You'll have to alter it since you're so close to the race, but you have miles under your belt, so you should be fine. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html#10k
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    bump
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi I am in a similar position. There are lots on free training plans on line to help you also podrunner do free downloads with slower and fast intervals to get you into walk/jog mode. They do a 10k training in 8 weeks, each week the slower intervals get shorter and the faster ones get longer all to music
    . Is there a parkrun near you( free 5k run Sat mornings) , you could use that as a 5k time trial each week to check progress.
    There is so much available now but just enjoy it.In the actual race just pick off one person at a time but at the end the rcontest is between your body and your mind
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started out from the same baseline as you at christmas and ran my first 10k at the end of May. Before running it the most I had done was 7km, and actually, although the race was harder, it didn't seem a 1/3rd harder. i trained like this:

Completed C25K- so that I could run for 30 mins at a time.

Then, each week, add 500m onto your distance (it's not that much when you've already done 5k!!)
    On the other two/three days of each week, do the same distance but try to beat your previous time, and so you're building speed and distance at the same time.

It worked for me!
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    I did a race in Cheddar several years ago. Those hills are pretty epic, but totally attainable! You are going to rock this race!

If you don't have access to safe hills to train on, there is a chance you can supplement them with this workout: Warm up for 10 minutes walking, alternate 1 minute fast (read: Hard) running, 30 seconds walking lunges, 2 minutes steady running, 30 seconds squat shuffles. Concentrate on form but try to keep a steady cadence when doing lunge/squats. Repeat 5x then cool down by walking 10 minutes. Gradually increase repititions as training progresses.

Nothing is a good substitute for a proper hill though. Even if its slight, it's better than nothing.

Happy training!
  • sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks to all your response, I really hope I won't be the last to cross the line. I am more scare of the steep hills than the actual distance.

I will try all your advice and will post my result once I've done it!

Thanks again!